Bringing Wine - Corkage Fee?

Hi all, has Royal reinstated the corkage fee recently? I remember they had one years ago, but it went away. We always take bottles to the MDR and have never been charged. But it's been more than a year since our last Royal Cruise.

Hi all, has Royal reinstated the corkage fee recently? I remember they had one years ago, but it went away. We always take bottles to the MDR and have never been charged. But it's been more than a year since our last Royal Cruise.

Yes, current rules subject you to a corkage fee of $15 per bottle for any bottle consumed in a public venue. However, they don't seen anxious to charge this fee.

That is my original post. Was trying to get a feel of others have actually been charged since they introduced the fee.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

On a cruise shortly after Royal enacted the corkage fee, I had a conversation with our waiter and he informed me that the corkage fee includes the serving of the wine by the wait staff. According to the waiter even if you bring an open bottle of wine into the MDR and it's sitting on the table, it is the waiter's responsibility to serve it.

My husband and I will be sailing on Freedom of the Seas Dec 9, I would like to buy two bottles of wine to bring on the ship, can I bring the wine on board

Yes, you can bring two bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom, each no larger than 750ml.

Question for those who have been charged a corkage fee. . .Who at the table will be charged the corkage fee? Do they give you a bill as if you purchased a drink?

Whoever gives the crew member their SeaPass card will be charged.

I don’t see why one couldn’t peruse the ship’s wine menu and purchase a bottle on the list to bring with them. Wouldn’t it appear to be an onboard purchase if opened and not on the first night?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t see why one couldn’t peruse the ship’s wine menu and purchase a bottle on the list to bring with them. Wouldn’t it appear to be an onboard purchase if opened and not on the first night?

When you purchase a bottle of wine on the ship, they put a sticker on it to indicate that it was indeed sold on the ship.

I could have sworn that a few years ago, Royal did away with the corkage fee.

We usually go to the dining room with a glass of wine in hand, and then go back to the cabin for a refill before the show. When we sailed Oasis a few years ago, was the first year we took our wine to the dining room.

While reading this thread, I had to repeatedly check the date stamp on the posts thinking that surely someone had resurrected an old thread.

Any idea why Royal brought back the corkage fee?

The purpose, on ships or land restaurants, is to offset the loss of profit from not selling the bottle of wine.

Since a glass of wine is around $10 or more, $15 for the bottle is not really that bad.

I am happy to pay corkage if I get great service. I want a new glass for each bottle and never touch the bottle after I hand it to the waiter. We always bring our own wine to restaurants and pay as much as a $25 corkage. I would happily pay Royal corkage at check-in if I was allowed to bring on my own case of wine. Yes I am a wine snob. I get the majority of my wine direct from the vineyards and pay significantly less than what Royal sells similar bottles for. They are not loosing profit because I won't pay their prices. Royal could get an extra $150 from me if they would let me bring my own wine on.

There is very little on the list I would buy on my own. The bottles I bring on board are much nicer than the ones on the list. Its not worth the hassle to bring on a bottle of cline zin or Kendal Jackson chardonnay.

I could have sworn that a few years ago, Royal did away with the corkage fee.

We usually go to the dining room with a glass of wine in hand, and then go back to the cabin for a refill before the show. When we sailed Oasis a few years ago, was the first year we took our wine to the dining room.

While reading this thread, I had to repeatedly check the date stamp on the posts thinking that surely someone had resurrected an old thread.

Any idea why Royal brought back the corkage fee?

I think did do away with it, but brought it back.

It does not apply if you open and pour in your room and carry you lass of wine into public areas.

Thanks. Seems pricey. And a bit tacky walking into the dining room with a glass of wine?

Would love to hear from others if they have been chartor not...and what ship.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I’m guilty of bringing my glass of wine to the MDR many a night. Sometimes my own pour in my room and sometimes my drink before dinner from elsewhere on the ship. I don’t think it is tacky to do so and have never been asked about where it came from. Just don’t try to leave with your unfinished glass of wine from chops because they will stop you as they use real crystal glasses there!!! They gladly changed out my crystal for a cheaper version!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums