MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

Kim, Thank you again for your valuable info. I will check out the Roatan Board. Taybana is ship sponsored (a little more comfort in knowing we will not miss the ship). I would dislike missing the opportunity to go to LFK. There is always a next time. Enjoy your summer land vacation in Aruba (it is fabulous, I don't recall good snorkeling there). Have you ever been to Bonaire? Snorkeling just from the shore was beyond wonderful, definately want to go back and snorkel by boat. Thank you again for all your help. I greatly appreciate it. Please post on this thread when you do your winter cruise. I am now so addicted to your reviews. Enjoy, Deborah

You are very welcome.

I'm having a great time planning our Aruba vacation next month. We did so much last time we were there it's a little challenging finding new things to do. I'm sure a lot of things will be a repeat. There is good snorkeling at Boca Catalina-Arashi area and we found good snorkeling at Baby Beach. Mangel Halto outside of the regular swimming area is supposed to be good too, but need to book with someone like Aruba Bob with the power fans to see it (we plan on doing that this time).

No, haven't been to Bonaire yet. I haven't found a cruise that goes there during the time we can cruise. I have always wanted to go to the ABC islands. I've only managed the A and C so far. :')

Kim, enjoy your Aruba vacation with your family. Thanks for the Aruba snorkel site info, greatly appreciated. Will you post your Aruba adventures on the Aruba site? Deborah

Thanks and yes, I usually post our adventure (not actually too much of a review but somewhat lol) over on the Aruba section. I usually post on the actual Aruba boards (not here on cc) when we go for a somewhat full review.

I got a little lost (due to not being able to follow consistently - my fault), but am LOVING your review. A friend and I will be departing on the Jewel 12/6 for the Southern Caribbean and am SO looking forward to it. I do have a question about the Decanter Hotel. Did you stay in the king or queen? Didn't you say it had a couch that looked to be "sleepable"? We have reservations at a chain hotel on our return night, but your review has me rethinking that. Might as well see Old San Juan for the day/night! Right?

I got a little lost (due to not being able to follow consistently - my fault), but am LOVING your review. A friend and I will be departing on the Jewel 12/6 for the Southern Caribbean and am SO looking forward to it. I do have a question about the Decanter Hotel. Did you stay in the king or queen? Didn't you say it had a couch that looked to be "sleepable"? We have reservations at a chain hotel on our return night, but your review has me rethinking that. Might as well see Old San Juan for the day/night! Right?

Hi and glad you are enjoying the review.

We absolutely loved the Decanter. We booked the "French Balcony Suite" which came with a King sized bed in the bedroom and the sofa couch pulled out into another bed in the living room.

P4082402%20copy-L.jpg

P4082401%20copy-L.jpg

Thank you! Unfortunately I guess they are unable to book only 1 weekend night; they said they required a two-night stay when I emailed them. :( Darn! The place looks amazing!!

Well darn. Maybe next time keep that place in mind if you go longer.

We are doing ABC+Labadee on a 9-night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas in March. This will be our first on Royal. I have only cruised Princess and Carnival so far.

You are very welcome.

I'm having a great time planning our Aruba vacation next month. We did so much last time we were there it's a little challenging finding new things to do. I'm sure a lot of things will be a repeat. There is good snorkeling at Boca Catalina-Arashi area and we found good snorkeling at Baby Beach. Mangel Halto outside of the regular swimming area is supposed to be good too, but need to book with someone like Aruba Bob with the power fans to see it (we plan on doing that this time).

No, haven't been to Bonaire yet. I haven't found a cruise that goes there during the time we can cruise. I have always wanted to go to the ABC islands. I've only managed the A and C so far. :')

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kim, Hope all is well and you had a great Independence celebration. I am the proud owner of a TG-4. Hoping to try it out in a friends pool tomorrow. Can you tell me what settings you usually use for basic underwater shots? Also I know you take photos half in and out of the water. Can you also give me those settings? As always, you knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated. Deborah

Well I have FINALLY caught up with your awesome review. Better late than never, I guess! And boy what a ride, this one!!! Thank you for taking the time to once again entertain us as good as you do with your writing and great pictures. I definitely got some pointers for my next cruise out of San Juan. I'm actually starting up on your NCL Epic review, especially for the ship info since I have the Epic booked out of San Juan on March 2020. But that's just too far away still and I'm trying to squeeze another in between. After reading this review, I am almost sold on trying Royal Caribbean for the first time and the Jewel seems like the perfect ship to do so. The bigger, newer Freedom is also sailing from SJ but it's too expensive on the dates DW and I can manage to skip work. Also looking at the NCL Dawn on a November sailing so my mind is far from made.

Now on other topics:

I always love when people write about Puerto Rico (for those that don't know I am born, raised and currently live in PR), the places they visit and the experiences they have. Having said that, I am truly ashamed that a place like Da House is actually in business. The place seems in horrible upkeep, they don't seem to be advertising truthfully and the attitude, the excuses, moldy seats, those floors and the broken glass ceiling....really?? I work in the hospitality/gaming industry in PR and places like that give tourism a black eye. The worst part is that not every one has the same "this will not ruin my vacation" attitude you and your family had. Thankfully it didn't ruin yours.

Loved your ship tour and pictures. The ship looks great! You must've either waited just for the right moment that no one was in view or woke up really early every morning to get an "empty" ship in you pics...lol.

I would comment on a few other things but I'd probably end up hijacking the thread so I'll just let it be...hahaha.

Is there anyway to send my email privately without posting it here? As I told you elsewhere, I'd love to say "hi" to you guys next time you're in town.

We are doing ABC+Labadee on a 9-night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas in March. This will be our first on Royal. I have only cruised Princess and Carnival so far.

I who you have a wonderful time on RC. We loved it.

Hello Kim, Hope all is well and you had a great Independence celebration. I am the proud owner of a TG-4. Hoping to try it out in a friends pool tomorrow. Can you tell me what settings you usually use for basic underwater shots? Also I know you take photos half in and out of the water. Can you also give me those settings? As always, you knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated. Deborah

Sorry, I'm a little late. Life is keeping me busy. Hopefully you figured out the setting. Just play around with the underwater settings. I usually use the settings (both on land and water) that will involve any movement so there is no blur. There's no settings for half in and half out of water. That's just basically holding you lens half in and half out. ;) It's really hard to do with the movement of any water and just takes a lot of practice and a lot of luck! :D

Loving this review....still catching up! Thank you for your detailed info!

I hope you are enjoying it.

Well I have FINALLY caught up with your awesome review. Better late than never, I guess! And boy what a ride, this one!!! Thank you for taking the time to once again entertain us as good as you do with your writing and great pictures. I definitely got some pointers for my next cruise out of San Juan. I'm actually starting up on your NCL Epic review, especially for the ship info since I have the Epic booked out of San Juan on March 2020. But that's just too far away still and I'm trying to squeeze another in between. After reading this review, I am almost sold on trying Royal Caribbean for the first time and the Jewel seems like the perfect ship to do so. The bigger, newer Freedom is also sailing from SJ but it's too expensive on the dates DW and I can manage to skip work. Also looking at the NCL Dawn on a November sailing so my mind is far from made.

Now on other topics:

I always love when people write about Puerto Rico (for those that don't know I am born, raised and currently live in PR), the places they visit and the experiences they have. Having said that, I am truly ashamed that a place like Da House is actually in business. The place seems in horrible upkeep, they don't seem to be advertising truthfully and the attitude, the excuses, moldy seats, those floors and the broken glass ceiling....really?? I work in the hospitality/gaming industry in PR and places like that give tourism a black eye. The worst part is that not every one has the same "this will not ruin my vacation" attitude you and your family had. Thankfully it didn't ruin yours.

Loved your ship tour and pictures. The ship looks great! You must've either waited just for the right moment that no one was in view or woke up really early every morning to get an "empty" ship in you pics...lol.

I would comment on a few other things but I'd probably end up hijacking the thread so I'll just let it be...hahaha.

Is there anyway to send my email privately without posting it here? As I told you elsewhere, I'd love to say "hi" to you guys next time you're in town.

Better late than never indeed. :D

Puerto Rico is an amazing place and it's probably my favorite place to cruise out of!

Da House definitely wasn't what we expected, but now we know and it adds to the experience of our trip. Just another story to tell and it was only for one night.

I have my camera with me at all times. I snap pictures as I walk and when the moment is right (not many people). I DO NOT get up at the crack of dawn EVER to take pictures. haha A lot of them will be take when we first board the ship (most people are swimming or eating...I'm exploring) or the last evening (because most are at shows, gambling and so on). But I still take them throughout the week if I'm passing by a place with no one there. ;)

You can contact me mitsubishigirl19 .... hotmail

HI Kim. I have been experimenting with the camera and love it. Thanks, I will try to have less movement and practice 1/2 in 1/2 out of water. Your shots always look so wonderful. Leaving in August for Grand Caymen. Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan. Looking forward to snorkeling and underwater photos evey where. You have inspired me. Have you already been to Aruba? Thanks again for all your help. Deborah

HI Kim. I have been experimenting with the camera and love it. Thanks, I will try to have less movement and practice 1/2 in 1/2 out of water. Your shots always look so wonderful. Leaving in August for Grand Caymen. Costa Maya, Cozumel and Roatan. Looking forward to snorkeling and underwater photos evey where. You have inspired me. Have you already been to Aruba? Thanks again for all your help. Deborah

I hope you end up with some awesome underwater pics!

Nope, we leave for Aruba next week. :D

Kim,

Have a great vacation in Aruba! Will look forward to the pictures.

We will be on the Celebrity ABC cruise in end of August. Prices are pretty good for that sailing. And goes to the B of ABC as well. Just saying;p:cool::halo::D

Mitsigirly, Love your reviews!!! If you had to choose between Boatyard and Pirate's Cove in Barbados what would you pick. We love Nachi Cochum in Cozumel and Reggae Beach Bar in St. Kitts. We are a group of 12 adults (not necessarily big snorkelers).I am having a hard time choosing between the two. What's your view of these two? We're looking for some loungers, good food and bar and some good beach time. Thanks in advance. Appreciate your help. BTW, your pictures are beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

[

Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed. Yea, I'm pretty sure that the larger class ships would be excellent for entertainment and activities. I've heard all about them. Some day I'll get on one.

I guarantee once Sakari sees the aqua show on Oasis class she will want to be in the show when she grows up!

Hi Kim! Hope you had a great time in Aruba. Will you be doing a review from your trip, and if so, where can I find it? :D

We had an amazing time (as always) with some bloopers along the way (hey, it wouldn't be us if something didn't go as planned ;p).

Since it wasn't a cruise, there's really no place for me to do a review (other than a quick review with a link to pictures of places we went to while in Aruba) unless I do a quick review on the Aruba forum (which isn't quite the same as here). :(

Awesome review. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you enjoyed it.

When and where is your next cruise??? Missing your awesome input!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't decided on our next cruise yet. We "usually" cruise in November, but haven't had a chance to even look for anything yet.

@Mitsugirly just found this report and enjoyed it thoroughly. Esp the pics. Which speaking of can you tell me how you are able to post/print them with your name on them. That is such a smart idea. Thanks

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. I made a copyright stamp in PS and I put it on each photo in there when I'm saving my pictures for web posting. I had to start doing that because I was finding my pictures around the web with others using them and acting as if they were their pictures. :eek: