Sofa as a third bed

Valor2005

I am interested in this question as well. Our 16 year old is 6'3". He found the sofa bed on the Vista hard and uncomfortable for a week. We thought about packing a foam cover ourselves but have limited room and weight restrictions at the airport. The room steward offered up another comforter but that wasn't enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Heimey

I am interested in this question as well. Our 16 year old is 6'3". He found the sofa bed on the Vista hard and uncomfortable for a week. We thought about packing a foam cover ourselves but have limited room and weight restrictions at the airport. The room steward offered up another comforter but that wasn't enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Heimey

Here is a suggestion....leave the other two beds set up individually, have have the smallest person (mom?) of the three sleep on the sofa. 6'3" on a sofa bed is not good. Teenagers are surly as it is...a sleep deprived teenager...ugh!

As mentioned the sofa is relatively hard. They don’t always have mattress toppers, but the stewards can put several layers of blankets under the sheet to soften it up. Just ask. Some rooms have a bunk that pulls from the ceiling instead. It’s softer than the sofa, but usually not preferable for an adult.

I was in a cove balcony on the Breeze for a Spring Break cruise, and as soon as I opened the door, I knew there were going to be problems with the mattress on the bed. It was horrible, all compressed and u-shaped. It was literally curving up on the sides and ends. I was so tired the first night, that I fell asleep without thinking and awoke in the middle of the night with the most outrageous back pain. There was no way I was going to spend a minute more on that mattress, so I took my sheet and pillow and moved to the couch. I slept wonderfully the rest of the night, and woke up with minimal soreness (residual from the crappy mattress, I'm assuming) I spent the rest of the 6 days sleeping on the couch, and was very pleased. Hopefully they were able to switch out the mattress for the next occupants.

In short, I am 5'10, and not exactly a skinny minnie, and I thought the couch was more than adequate.

I was in a cove balcony on the Breeze for a Spring Break cruise, and as soon as I opened the door, I knew there were going to be problems with the mattress on the bed. It was horrible, all compressed and u-shaped. It was literally curving up on the sides and ends. I was so tired the first night, that I fell asleep without thinking and awoke in the middle of the night with the most outrageous back pain. There was no way I was going to spend a minute more on that mattress, so I took my sheet and pillow and moved to the couch. I slept wonderfully the rest of the night, and woke up with minimal soreness (residual from the crappy mattress, I'm assuming) I spent the rest of the 6 days sleeping on the couch, and was very pleased. Hopefully they were able to switch out the mattress for the next occupants.

In short, I am 5'10, and not exactly a skinny minnie, and I thought the couch was more than adequate.

You can request a new mattress ,and they will bring you one ,,They did for us

If you have three people booked in your cabin, I believe you have a sofabed, not a sofa - it converts to a bed. I could be mistaken, but we booked three people and I was told only certain cabins are for three people (well, three adults), and our sofabed will convert to a bed. We don't leave until 8/28, so I can't give you any details on how it worked out yet.

Thanks

Heimey

Are you flying in the night before your cruise and staying in a hotel? If so, you could mail the foam cover to yourself in care of your hotel and pick it up when you check in to bring with you on board the ship the next day.

Wife slept on one last week on the breeze. She said it was very comfortable. She is kind of particular about her bed.

That's what we usually do..DH and DS take the big bed and I sleep on the sofa since I'm a night owl and usually get in really late (they're in bed by 10pm most nights). I've never had a problem with a sofa-bed..they're always pretty comfortable.

Now what I HAVE found is kind of hit or miss is if you have to have a cot brought down as the 3rd bed. I've had some there were fine and one that I had to prop up (as best I could anyway) the sagging middle with some kind of tiny mattresses (they looked like crib mattresses, actually) I found under the bed. And even then the middle STILL sagged. I just dealt with it. I will not EVER again sleep in a Pullman that comes down from the ceiling. I was afraid of getting hurt if I tried to get out of bed in the middle of the night and I could feel the metal plate under the thin mattress. Every morning I woke up so stiff and sore that I had to sit in the hot tub for an hour or so before my muscles and joints would uncramp. :(

If you have three people booked in your cabin, I believe you have a sofabed, not a sofa - it converts to a bed. I could be mistaken, but we booked three people and I was told only certain cabins are for three people (well, three adults), and our sofabed will convert to a bed. We don't leave until 8/28, so I can't give you any details on how it worked out yet.

But I don't believe it is a sleeper sofa that you pull out into a double bed like some hotels have...it is just a modified sofa IIRC.

The sofa on the breeze is HORRIBLE to sleep on. Same on all the newer ships. We sail with 4 to a cabin and that sofa is enough to never sail on the newer ships again! The older ships (pre Dream) do not have this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have three people booked in your cabin, I believe you have a sofa bed, not a sofa - it converts to a bed. I could be mistaken, but we booked three people and I was told only certain cabins are for three people (well, three adults), and our sofa bed will convert to a bed. We don't leave until 8/28, so I can't give you any details on how it worked out yet.

We have "3" adults in our family with my teen son who is just under 6' and about 150 lbs, as we only book either a regular balcony or OS (both have "sofa bed" for 3rd person), it is not what you would typically call a sofa bed. It is a sofa that doubles as a single bed when you take the sofa back cushions off and replace with a bed pillow, sheets and a blanket. It does not open up into a bed like a typical sofa bed you would have at home or a hotel. DS loves the "sofa bed" and it is plenty comfortable for him (it has a separate light for reading etc) and he has no issue sleeping on it.