New shuttle bus service to Edinburgh from Queensferry 2018

Here's the brochure. They have staff standing there with credit card machines outside the buses. JUst make you are at the square by 3:30pm to not catch last bus.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/X99-Cruiselink-WEB.pdf

Steve

That was fast!!! When I click on this is gives me the dreaded 404 message! LOL! But you answered the credit card question - and good to know to be back by 3:30 - is the fare in fact 6 pounds round trip - or is that one way?

That was fast!!! When I click on this is gives me the dreaded 404 message! LOL! But you answered the credit card question - and good to know to be back by 3:30 - is the fare in fact 6 pounds round trip - or is that one way?

RT. 4 one way.

And if you are doing other castles - like Stirling and Urquhart, it pays to buy an Explorer pass on line. BTW, The Audio tour 2-3 pounds is well worth getting

S

We used the x99 service in Edinburgh on the June 18 Royal Princess cruise. One big note/tip. We did NOT want the HOHO option; we wanted x99 plus the day pass for the city services (we knew exactly where we wanted to go and in what order). The agents next to the buses with the handheld ticket machines (and the frenzied crowds around them) CANNOT print day passes, or at least could not then. We had to buy them from the bus driver. This meant we missed one x99 on the way in and had to take the next. But that was no issue, as they came quickly.

We found that on a weekday in June, the 40min quoted time was very close to accurate. Traffic was BAD.

Another tip - if you plan to walk down the Royal Mile from the castle, so far as we could determine, the only buses that take you close to the castle are the HOHOs. In our case, we didn't mind walking up the last bit and we had other plans that required the day pass instead of the HOHO. So we went with the Day pass. In the end, the Royal Mile was so incredibly touristy and overrun (not to be outdone on our entire trip until the streets near La Tour Eiffel) that we pulled the eject lever very early and stepped off to side streets.

We used the x99 service in Edinburgh on the June 18 Royal Princess cruise. One big note/tip. We did NOT want the HOHO option; we wanted x99 plus the day pass for the city services (we knew exactly where we wanted to go and in what order). The agents next to the buses with the handheld ticket machines (and the frenzied crowds around them) CANNOT print day passes, or at least could not then. We had to buy them from the bus driver. This meant we missed one x99 on the way in and had to take the next. But that was no issue, as they came quickly.

We found that on a weekday in June, the 40min quoted time was very close to accurate. Traffic was BAD.

Another tip - if you plan to walk down the Royal Mile from the castle, so far as we could determine, the only buses that take you close to the castle are the HOHOs. In our case, we didn't mind walking up the last bit and we had other plans that required the day pass instead of the HOHO. So we went with the Day pass. In the end, the Royal Mile was so incredibly touristy and overrun (not to be outdone on our entire trip until the streets near La Tour Eiffel) that we pulled the eject lever very early and stepped off to side streets.

We just asked as we goty off shuttle if anyone else was goijg to castle. We shared a cab with another couple for 6# total. Really cheap and saved us the wal;k. Also were at castle by 9:30 and got right in.

And you MUST see the new Parliment Bldg. Amazing and open every day. At Bottom of Royal Mile

Dangit. Now I'm sorry we missed that. But we couldn't take even another block of the Royal Mile that day. Actually, we were lucky - we took a side street to get up to the Royal Mile and by sheer luck happened upon a dedicated, fan-run Harry Potter store. My elder daughter was in heaven, and my younger daughter loved it.

And you MUST see the new Parliment Bldg. Amazing and open every day. At Bottom of Royal Mile

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the X99 last Monday and was on the first bus which left on time at 8am. There was some morning traffic and overall the trip was roughly 31 min. For tickets one person was taking cash and the other credit card only.

I rode the X99 last Monday and was on the first bus which left on time at 8am. There was some morning traffic and overall the trip was roughly 31 min. For tickets one person was taking cash and the other credit card only.

We also had roadworks on Monday so it was taking a little longer than usual as the morning progressed. They're scheduled to end on 28 July

This service worked smoothly on 7/10. We boarded the first bus at 8:00, and though the ride was long, it was better than taking a taxi (our original plan) because were there were NO taxis there!!!! We did have to wait about 15 minutes at the end of the day for the last group of buses to appear, but then the journey went smoothly. It’s an affordable, solid option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This service worked smoothly on 7/10. We boarded the first bus at 8:00, and though the ride was long, it was better than taking a taxi (our original plan) because were there were NO taxis there!!!! We did have to wait about 15 minutes at the end of the day for the last group of buses to appear, but then the journey went smoothly. It’s an affordable, solid option.

The taxis got caught up in the roadworks too. I was on duty and we requested more but they were caught in jams

thanks for the f/u,

We will be there in a few weeks and have decided on the shuttle or a cab.... whichever seems to be the easiest at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

We are there in early September on MSC Magnifica. One important thing, our ship leaves at 17:00, so all aboard at 16:30. What time do you suggest we get the shuttle for the return trip back to Queensferry? I was thinking about 14:00??? We are thinking about doing the HoHo portion first. We we then be able to stay on board and ride UP to the castle to begin our walk DOWN the Royal Mile?? Thanks for any suggestions.

We are there in early September on MSC Magnifica. One important thing, our ship leaves at 17:00, so all aboard at 16:30. What time do you suggest we get the shuttle for the return trip back to Queensferry? I was thinking about 14:00??? We are thinking about doing the HoHo portion first. We we then be able to stay on board and ride UP to the castle to begin our walk DOWN the Royal Mile?? Thanks for any suggestions.

The shuttle bus drops you off close to the main starting point for the hop-on, hop-off starting point. I would suggest you do the Edinburgh Tour (the yellow bus) so you would see most of the city centre before reaching the castle - https://edinburghtour.com/edinburgh-tour/. I assume you will get back on the bus from the bottom of the Royal Mile to get back to the shuttle bus in St Andrews Square? If so, I'd recommend getting off at Stop 13 as it's very close to the shuttle bus stop.

The last shuttle leaves the city centre 45 minutes before the last tender. 2:00 seems very early. I'd say 3:00 would be fine but obviously check the time of the tenders

Okay just my opinion but if you want to tour the castle - and I think you should. Then I would suggest following. Take early shuttle in and buy return. Then share a cab to castle with someone on your shuttle. About 6 # and you can charge. Go to castle at about 9:30 and get audio tour. You'll spend 2 hours there at least. Then walk down the royal mile. Highly suggest you download free audio tour by rick Steve's. Make sure you stop at the writers house museum and museum of childhood. Both free. Thus will take you today least 13:00. Make sure to see the new parliament building. Then walk back to pick up bus -25 minutes - or take a cab .and be at shuttled by 14:30 at latest. If seeing castle you have no time for hoho bus. Trust me. Time is limited. I posted video of the above plan on YouTube if you want to see.

The bus will have the "last return" times for the day. Your "last tender" time will probably be 4pm however we know that isn't the last tender. As long as your in the long line by then you'll be fine. Yes it will be long and your ship probably won't be leaving on time but just like airlines they build in the time. I wouldn't leave Edinburgh no earlier than 3pm. As the previous poster said, if you want to visit the castle you best do it first and get your tickets ahead of time.

Many thanks for the responses. We are not going to tour the castle on this trip, just leisurely walk down Royal Mile and little side streets, see the Cathedral and Parliment, grab a bite for lunch somewhere, then HoHo and back to the ship. At least that is the plan right now.

Many thanks for the responses. We are not going to tour the castle on this trip, just leisurely walk down Royal Mile and little side streets, see the Cathedral and Parliment, grab a bite for lunch somewhere, then HoHo and back to the ship. At least that is the plan right now.

Just remember that the shuttle is independently rci. If you caught the lady shuttle back and it wasn't there in time and all the rci tours are back. The ship is leaving. Is use 3pm as cut off. And honestly if you have to use the hoho bus 20# combo. You probably want to do the hoho2 first and stay on until it gets to castle. The loop takes 90 minutes and is not always on a schedule. Then dobroyal mile and parliament. Allow 25 minutes to walk to shuttle from parliament.

I only mentioned castle because if going early is best. And I really suggest you listen to Rick Steve's Edinburgh walk audio, even if you don't take it. Its FREE!

Be aware that the fringe fest may be on then and there will be crowds

Just remember that the shuttle is independently rci. If you caught the lady shuttle back and it wasn't there in time and all the rci tours are back. The ship is leaving. Is use 3pm as cut off. And honestly if you have to use the hoho bus 20# combo. You probably want to do the hoho2 first and stay on until it gets to castle. The loop takes 90 minutes and is not always on a schedule. Then dobroyal mile and parliament. Allow 25 minutes to walk to shuttle from parliament.

I only mentioned castle because if going early is best. And I really suggest you listen to Rick Steve's Edinburgh walk audio, even if you don't take it. Its FREE!

Be aware that the fringe fest may be on then and there will be crowds

Not quite accurate. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe will have finished by then as it is only 3 weeks during August and things are much quieter round the city in September.

mimi has said she / he doesn't want to go inside the Castle but with a hoho ticket, she/he will just be able to rejoin the bus at either Dynamic Earth or Holyroodhouse to get back very close to St Andrews Square (stop 13 as I recommended) and yes I suggested 3:00 p.m. too

In September the hoho bus runs every 10 - 12 minutes so the schedule isn't a problem. It takes 70 minutes to do a complete circuit but passengers would only have to go as far as the Castle on the first circuit then see the other sights on the way back to the shuttle bus

Not quite accurate. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe will have finished by then as it is only 3 weeks during August and things are much quieter round the city in September.

I'll defer to Tartan Exile you knows more than me. Somehow I thought you were going in August. Sorry.

Anyway you'll love Edinburgh - and there is never enough time there!

Quick question

Someone on our roll call just reported that they were told by Celebrity that the Eclipse will be docking at Leith Cruise Terminal, not Queensferry as had been reported by everyone else! She is arriving on August 9th for an overnight stay.

Do anyone there in Edinburgh any information on this? The websites I have been using still say it is Queensferry.

It cannot be Leith asCelebrity Eclipse is too big to dock there. I've had notification that I'll be on duty at Queensferry when Celebrity Eclipse visits and you are expected in South Queensferry as far as the port authority is concerned

I trust your response over someone at Celebrity Cruises. Pretty sad but true!! Thanks

Quick question

Someone on our roll call just reported that they were told by Celebrity that the Eclipse will be docking at Leith Cruise Terminal, not Queensferry as had been reported by everyone else! She is arriving on August 9th for an overnight stay.

Do anyone there in Edinburgh any information on this? The websites I have been using still say it is Queensferry.

I can't answer your question but friends of mine - Shirley and frank barbuscio from Wayne nj are on your sailing. They don't use cruise critic though I encourage them to. If you meet them tell them hi from steve Edited by SteveinPhilly