Special deals?

My friend is getting ready to book a short January cruise getaway. Does Carnival have any special deals that she should look for? For example, my last cruise on another line had a free drinks package promo. I have seen free gratuity promos. Is there anything like that on Carnival, either now or that comes up regularly? Thanks.

My friend is getting ready to book a short January cruise getaway. Does Carnival have any special deals that she should look for? For example, my last cruise on another line had a free drinks package promo. I have seen free gratuity promos. Is there anything like that on Carnival, either now or that comes up regularly? Thanks.

No carnival might do reduced deposit but no "freebies".I hope you know that drink package was included in the price and not free.

Thanks for the info. I will tell her to book and check for price drops. And to clarify my "free drink package", was in fact free because I ended up cancelling and rebooking my cruise when the sale come up and saving about $20 each after getting free drinks, a specialty dinner, and some on board credit. The cruise was more than a year out so it worked. But of course, I got lucky since often these specials do add to the price of the cruise. YMMV.

No carnival might do reduced deposit but no "freebies".I hope you know that drink package was included in the price and not free.

Thanks for the info. I will tell her to book and check for price drops. And to clarify my "free drink package", was in fact free because I ended up cancelling and rebooking my cruise when the sale come up and saving about $20 each after getting free drinks, a specialty dinner, and some on board credit. The cruise was more than a year out so it worked. But of course, I got lucky since often these specials do add to the price of the cruise. YMMV.

What scpirate is referring to is generally cruise lines that run specials where drinks, dinner, excursions, or WiFi packages routinely are included as a booking "bonus", that the pricing factor for those "perks" has all been rolled into everyone's base booking rate. Those cruise lines know at some point they will run that "sale" so even before posting a cabin rate schedule for a cruise date those cost factors are balled into the fare.

In retail it's called a sales hook. Here's a simplified example, you take an item whose regular price at a competitor is $5 + $2.50 for shipping but your price lists that same at $7.50, then offer free shipping then for 3 weeks of every month. SO what is difference once the item is bought "on sale" from you, well absolutely nothing. The customer paid the same amount in total to have the item shipped to them, and you made the same profit as your competition. But certain "hooks" like free shipping, drink package included, etc all make for good advertising without affecting your profit margin. Advertising directs more people to look at you listing making more likely they will not look further for the same product.

Like I said a simplified example but cruises are just that a product. So if NCL is advertising a 5 day cruise to Bermuda from NYC with their Ultimate Beverage or 5 night specialty restaurants package included at $850/passenger for an lower deck inside cabin on an older ship. So how is Carnival able to sell the same itinerary leaving that same month from the same port at $500/passenger for a similar cabin and location on a new ship then charge another $275/adult for a similar drink package or dining experience. The answer boils down to one company is counting on the free hook to get more people to look at their cruise while the other is using a bare bones a la carte pricing to appeal to others.

IT'S ALL SEMANTICS.

What scpirate is referring to is generally cruise lines that run specials where drinks, dinner, excursions, or WiFi packages routinely are included as a booking "bonus", that the pricing factor for those "perks" has all been rolled into everyone's base booking rate. Those cruise lines know at some point they will run that "sale" so even before posting a cabin rate schedule for a cruise date those cost factors are balled into the fare.

In retail it's called a sales hook. Here's a simplified example, you take an item whose regular price at a competitor is $5 + $2.50 for shipping but your price lists that same at $7.50, then offer free shipping then for 3 weeks of every month. SO what is difference once the item is bought "on sale" from you, well absolutely nothing. The customer paid the same amount in total to have the item shipped to them, and you made the same profit as your competition. But certain "hooks" like free shipping, drink package included, etc all make for good advertising without affecting your profit margin. Advertising directs more people to look at you listing making more likely they will not look further for the same product.

Like I said a simplified example but cruises are just that a product. So if NCL is advertising a 5 day cruise to Bermuda from NYC with their Ultimate Beverage or 5 night specialty restaurants package included at $850/passenger for an lower deck inside cabin on an older ship. So how is Carnival able to sell the same itinerary leaving that same month from the same port at $500/passenger for a similar cabin and location on a new ship then charge another $275/adult for a similar drink package or dining experience. The answer boils down to one company is counting on the free hook to get more people to look at their cruise while the other is using a bare bones a la carte pricing to appeal to others.

IT'S ALL SEMANTICS.

Basically what you’re saying is look at the bottom line. The total cost of the cruise.

That is not true. I’ve sailed with NCL twice on a fairly new ship (Getaway) and had the drink package. We only paid the gratuities for it, and my cruise rate was only $549 for a 7 day cruise. The drink package is one of 5 perks that can be chosen with a NCL. You get 1 perk with an inside cabin, 2 with ocean view and balcony, and all 5 with Suites. Your cruise cabin rate is not higher because of the perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IT'S ALL SEMANTICS.

As I stated on another poster’s comment, I did not pay a higher rate with NCL to get my free drink package. I paid $549 for a 7 day cruise on a newer ship. All that was required was to pay the gratuities. My daughter chose “kids sail free” perk. Her rate remained the same, and her kids sailed free. Yes, we had an inside cabin, she had a family ocean view, but that was fine with us.

As I stated on another poster’s comment, I did not pay a higher rate with NCL to get my free drink package. I paid $549 for a 7 day cruise on a newer ship. All that was required was to pay the gratuities. My daughter chose “kids sail free” perk. Her rate remained the same, and her kids sailed free. Yes, we had an inside cabin, she had a family ocean view, but that was fine with us.

On the ones I’ve priced it’s been about the same price with the free drink package as a carnival cruise + cheers. Certainly hasn’t been $500...more like $1500

That is not true. I’ve sailed with NCL twice on a fairly new ship (Getaway) and had the drink package. We only paid the gratuities for it, and my cruise rate was only $549 for a 7 day cruise. The drink package is one of 5 perks that can be chosen with a NCL. You get 1 perk with an inside cabin, 2 with ocean view and balcony, and all 5 with Suites. Your cruise cabin rate is not higher because of the perks.

But when you compare the overall product, your vacation, can you find one cruise line offering the same at a lower booking rate? Sure you can, as another poster pointed out its all about the bottom line price.

And some people will prefer to pay less on just a cabin and government fees upfront, and worry later about adding in the extras they may want.

Like in 2016 DH & I was able to sail on Celebrity with no special perks offers, interior cabin for under $1000 for 2 passengers. 7 days to Bermuda, cabin located 3 decks above the lowest passenger deck. While for the same exact date, NCL for a similar cabin would of been nearly $1900 but it would of included a choice (at that time) of 1 out 4 perks. Yes in this case the Summit is older and smaller than the Breakaway, but our cabin for the category was noticeable bigger than NCL's interiors which suits us better than free perks. And since we don't do very physical on board activities, the lack of water slides, a rock climbing wall, & other such venues worked to keep the base price low to start. Though we did not opt to purchase a drink package, which could of nudged the overall price closer to but still not nearly the $900 difference, we spent less than $300 for the both of us on at fee beverages.

Just like I was able in 2013 to sail NCL's Breakaway without a perks package for $500 less than Royal's Explorer ot S with "free" excursion credits for the same dates, itinerary, and cabin category.

So which cruise was the better value?

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

On the ones I’ve priced it’s been about the same price with the free drink package as a carnival cruise + cheers. Certainly hasn’t been $500...more like $1500

I actually paid $549 for the first one, and $649 for second cruise. And the Getaway is a fabulous newer ship, not an old worn out ship. I’m not doubting what you are pricing, but keep in mind, I only book inside cabins. Other cabin categories cost more. We are retired and finances are limited. We haven’t had a balcony, or even priced one out, since 2007.

Carnival used to give $100 OBC if you booked a cruise while you were cruising. They stopped that a while ago. We used to cruise Carnival 3 times a year, always booking a future cruise while vacationing. This will be the first year that we do not go on a Carnival cruise. Not saying that we will not go in the future, but it was a great incentive while it lasted.