Best souvenirs to purchase?

Derbie

We are looking to souvenirs for family and grandchildren. I would appreciate the advise. We are not really a drinking family, so a bottle of liquor is not on our list. I do have a nephew I would like to bring back a cigar. I hate to ask, but is this legal? Also, any place you would recommend for shopping, dining, etc., is always welcome. We have a tour booked through Blexie, and I know are willing to alter the route.

Thanks!

We are looking to souvenirs for family and grandchildren. I would appreciate the advise. We are not really a drinking family, so a bottle of liquor is not on our list. I do have a nephew I would like to bring back a cigar. I hate to ask, but is this legal? Also, any place you would recommend for shopping, dining, etc., is always welcome. We have a tour booked through Blexie, and I know are willing to alter the route.

Thanks!

Depending on ages there are some wooden classic cars. You can bring back 100 cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much rum/alcohol can we bring back?

I believe it's 1 liter per person. The last trip, my wife and I brought back 2 bottles.

You can bring back more, but customs asks that you declare it on the customs form and pay taxes on the extra bottles.

(A lot of people may put an extra bottle into their suitcase and simply smile, if you know what I mean).

I believe it's 1 liter per person. The last trip, my wife and I brought back 2 bottles.

You can bring back more, but customs asks that you declare it on the customs form and pay taxes on the extra bottles.

(A lot of people may put an extra bottle into their suitcase and simply smile, if you know what I mean).

Thanks so much! I can't remember the last time I brought back alcohol from a cruise but we really want to get some Cuban rum.

Neither buying in the little shops, the Almacenes or on the street are good places for quality souvenirs or good paintings, just cheap junk, IMO.

Souvenirs commonly found:

Anything to do with classic cars: T-shirts, paintings of all sizes, magnets, model cars from wood or beer cans, beach bags, etc

Leather: low quality bags with laced holes like a child's kit, key rings

Cheap jewelry from seeds (Chinese?) and occasionally some nicer jewelry

Crudely painted wooden fans with the word Cuba and a flower

Anything Che (and/or revolution based); T-shirts, flags, hats, etc

African style sculptures, mostly cheap quality (China?)

Music CDs: good variety of rumba, son, etc (but some "home recorded" ones may not work once you get them back to your player)

Straw hats

Little girls' beach dresses in one style, gauze-y beige/white color fabric

But it's fun to look around......

Enjoy.

You can bring back as much rum as you like. One liter per person is duty free. If you have more you may have to pay duty but you are allowed to bring back as much as you like. On our visit we were given no customs declaration and they didn't ask.

Neither buying in the little shops, the Almacenes or on the street are good places for quality souvenirs or good paintings, just cheap junk, IMO.

Souvenirs commonly found:

Anything to do with classic cars: T-shirts, paintings of all sizes, magnets, model cars from wood or beer cans, beach bags, etc

Leather: low quality bags with laced holes like a child's kit, key rings

Cheap jewelry from seeds (Chinese?) and occasionally some nicer jewelry

Crudely painted wooden fans with the word Cuba and a flower

Anything Che (and/or revolution based); T-shirts, flags, hats, etc

African style sculptures, mostly cheap quality (China?)

Music CDs: good variety of rumba, son, etc (but some "home recorded" ones may not work once you get them back to your player)

Straw hats

Little girls' beach dresses in one style, gauze-y beige/white color fabric

But it's fun to look around......

Enjoy.

I like to bring back a Christmas ornament from the ports I visit did you happen to see any?

I also collect Christmas ornaments from my travels. I didn't find one in Cuba, but I often buy key chains that will work, which is what I did there.

Cuban rum is like no other rum from any other Caribbean nation. Definitely bring some back! Make sure you buy cigars from a licensed store, not a street vendor, or they may be confiscated by customs.

We brought back a lovely painting. Not something very unique or collectible - every "artist" in the Cuban tourist areas have the same basic pictures, but it looks great on our living room wall.

Our favourite souvenirs, however, were books and videos produced in Cuba about the Cuban revolution. It was fascinating to hear their version of events that I had heard from a much different perspective growing up in the U.S.

Our favourite souvenirs, however, were books and videos produced in Cuba about the Cuban revolution. It was fascinating to hear their version of events that I had heard from a much different perspective growing up in the U.S.

In English? Found where?

My perspective was altered on my first trip when I asked my older casa owner why he and his wife had not left Cuba when so many others did so. "We thought WE had the good guy!" he answered me.

We found most of our Cuban books (in English) in the heart of Old Havana at a book stand there, right outside the museum. My son found a VHS documentary about Che Guevara in Spanish with English subtitles (produced in Mexico) in a convenience store in Havana.