New to Marella not to cruising - some questions wheelchair etc

Hi

We are taking my elderly Mum on a ladies only trip. (three generations). She is 88 and well - we are just "making that time happen".

We are long time cruisers, but new to Marella - our line of choice being NCL & Celebrity.

We don't want to compare - we know for sure Mum will love the "British" aspect of Marella, and the main goal was no flying - (and that yorkshire tea kettle we know she will love!!).

We have a Grand Suite. How is boarding etc (Southampton). We are travelling to Southampton, stopping off two nights before - one half way, one in Southampton - This trip - its all about my wee Mum. Having lost my Dad in 2016, and nearly losing my Mum too - we want to spoil her rotten at every opportunity. Got to just make it work right :) I did think about the Easeway coach - but it might be too heavy on her, anyone who has done this from Carlisle down - how was the journey? Many stops?

What is the set up from car to port to ship at Southampton. We are told we have priority boarding with the suite - any other perks worthwhile? How difficult/easy will it be for us to get from car to ship etc? Any advice warmly appreciated.

Its more about the nice space for us than perks - but ease of getting Mum around is really our priority.

We are bringing on a small portable wheelchair. She can get around with her walking stick on very short distances, but we are happier, on a moving ship to wheelchair her around.

How were the restaurants for wheelchair access etc?

Any issues we are likely to encounter?

Shore excursions and buses into town? Does anyone have experience of booking any shorex with a wheelchair? How was the set up? ie can we get a wheelchair on the shore excursion coaches?

My Mum would not manage up steps on a coach. We are travelling only in Northern Europe so as we are always within a quick emergency hop of home (hopefully never need that) - but still would love to get Mum out and about to do some sightseeing if we can find wheelchair friendly options.

I have to say that Marella shore excursions seem a great deal cheaper than what we have been used to paying ..wow!

Shows? What are the shows like? Suitable for an elderly lady? Does anyone have any "dailies" from Marella Discovery?

Salon - anyone have a list of products/hair/beauty/treatments from the salon?

Upgrading the drinks package. For the sake of only £50 think we will upgrade the drinks package if it gives us nicer wine? Can we do this beforehand or must we wait until we board?

I know being in a suite we get one complimentary breakfast - are we able to order a light breakfast for my mum to the room every day? Like pastries/toast? Just a small bite? Happy to pay - is there a room service menu? Anyone have a copy?

I read somewhere about a concierge lounge with free wifi? Is that correct??

Many thanks in advance for any information/dailies/menus etc

B:*

Hi and welcome to Marella can't help with boarding as only ever flown but can answer a couple of your other points, you can order breakfast every day, including a light one, but receive a free one each week also one floor up at the snack shack you can get a take away bacon butty to have on the balcony its great. Think the only restaurant you may have a problem with is the surf & turf has a few steps. Show lounge and entertainment will be fine they do have areas for wheel chairs, we have been on the deck you will be on and its a great position with lots of lifts. Sorry can't help with your other requests but am certain you will all have a great time, enjoy.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Hi and welcome to Marella can't help with boarding as only ever flown but can answer a couple of your other points, you can order breakfast every day, including a light one, but receive a free one each week also one floor up at the snack shack you can get a take away bacon butty to have on the balcony its great. Think the only restaurant you may have a problem with is the surf & turf has a few steps. Show lounge and entertainment will be fine they do have areas for wheel chairs, we have been on the deck you will be on and its a great position with lots of lifts. Sorry can't help with your other requests but am certain you will all have a great time, enjoy.

Okay - you had me at Bacon Buttys!! :hearteyes::*:hearteyes:

Many thanks!

Just noted a couple of other things I can help with sorry no concierge lounge free wi fi , this may have changed from earlier in the year. The destination service team are very good with info for wheelchair passengers on excursion's and we have seen many going on them. You can now book the premium drinks package online but this has to be done when you book not sure if you can do it retrospectively, that's a big word!!!

Just noted a couple of other things I can help with sorry no concierge lounge free wi fi , this may have changed from earlier in the year. The destination service team are very good with info for wheelchair passengers on excursion's and we have seen many going on them. You can now book the premium drinks package online but this has to be done when you book not sure if you can do it retrospectively, that's a big word!!!

Thanks for the info!