Flying from Singapore

gwesq

Not easy to get from SIngapore to the EAst Coast of the US, specifically SW FLorida.

It seems most flights out of SIN are very early AM - too early to do when ship only arrives in port at 8 AM - or very late at night. Practically nothing during the day. I am surprised I cannot find a SIN - LAX flight.

Did find a flight at 1255 PM from SIN - Hong Kong, but then the connection time to get to LA is only 1 hr 25 mins.

Am I OK making that 1255 flight when the cruise ends at a scheduled time of 800?

Am I OK making that 1255 flight when the cruise ends at a scheduled time of 800?

Yes, 5-hours is plenty of time.

Singapore Airlines is starting direct service to LAX Nov 2.

We’re flying to Narita from Singapore. Plenty of connections to US east coast from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not spend a couple of days in Singapore after your cruise? It is a delightful city with friendly citizens and so, so much to see. Their Hop On/Off 3 Bus Routes cover much territory. Then, take an early morning flight home.

Why not spend a couple of days in Singapore after your cruise? It is a delightful city with friendly citizens and so, so much to see. Their Hop On/Off 3 Bus Routes cover much territory. Then, take an early morning flight home.
Exactly! We’re going to spend 4 extra nights there for that very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going SIN-HKG-LAX is fine, but aren't you heading to SW Florida? (Can we assume Tampa?) Why not head the other way? Lufthansa has one-stop service to TPA via Frankfurt. Or you could keep the (presumably Cathay Pacific) 12:55 flight, connect in HKG (90 min. is plenty) through to New York, then down to Florida?

Singapore to Tampa via Frankfurt is actually only 160 flight miles farther than via Hong Kong and LAX.

The flight to NY seems to be best bet. Haven't thought of looking into going via Europe. Will look into that. By SW Fl I did not mean that airport specifically. Where we are in Sarasota is referred to as Southwest Florida, not Central Florida. I wish there was a way to use my JetBlue miles. They do partner with Singapore, but only for Earning miles, not using them.

We just spent a few days in Singapore a few years ago, so prefer to go straight home this time. I do not recall having trouble finding good flights then, probably because we were not constrained by disembarkation time. I do recall we flew JAL to NRT & then on to NY(direct I think).

Back to searching tomorrow.

There's also SIN to SFO via HKG.

A direct flight is in the works for Nov 2018.

This is the Singapore Airlines flight itinerary I flew. If the schedule is the same, one must deplane at HKG while the plane is serviced and a crew change takes place. I found this to be a "pain". I was ready to go to sleep after dinner from Singapore, but a late night landing/take-off at HKG with about 75 minutes between the two segments, followed by another meal/drink service, I then had difficulty getting to sleep. Service and cuisine from SIN-HKG was disappointing; not what I expected in Singapore Airlines Business Class; service and cuisine from HKG-SFO met my expectations.

But, it is an itinerary I would not willingly do again. A true non-stop would be better, at least for me, I think.

Going SIN-HKG-LAX is fine, but aren't you heading to SW Florida? (Can we assume Tampa?) Why not head the other way? Lufthansa has one-stop service to TPA via Frankfurt. Or you could keep the (presumably Cathay Pacific) 12:55 flight, connect in HKG (90 min. is plenty) through to New York, then down to Florida?

Singapore to Tampa via Frankfurt is actually only 160 flight miles farther than via Hong Kong and LAX.

Yeah, going through Europe is definitely something to consider. Personally, my body clock does better going that direction too, but that's just me.

Yup, lots of capacity now. Starting in the end of the year, this means 3 or 4 nonstops every day between SIN and SFO (2 UA and 1 or 2 SQ) and one or two every day between SIN and LAX (SQ). SFO is better for the connectivity, though some of these flights arrive SFO or LAX too late for certain connections.

For cruisers, the best option is probably the second SQ SFO frequency when they have it, because it leaves in the afternoon and arrives in the early afternoon with plenty of time for connections.

It's going to be interesting to see what all this capacity does to fares and award availability. Probably too soon to tell. Note that some of the SQ flights will be all premium configurations of business class and premium economy. I would keep an eye on it. I bet some of those PE seats end up selling for a not that significant premium above economy for similar routes.

These are very long flights.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew JFK - Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Singapore this past winter. I flew in a suite on Cathay - a 17 hour flight, and business class to Singapore, a 4 hour flight. Of course in those seats, the flights were amazing, and I highly recommend both airlines!!!

I flew JFK - Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Singapore this past winter. I flew in a suite on Cathay - a 17 hour flight, and business class to Singapore, a 4 hour flight. Of course in those seats, the flights were amazing, and I highly recommend both airlines!!!

Last year, we flew Cathay F suites, and it was *amazing*.

We honestly did not want to get off.

(If we'd had the points/availability, and especially the time, I would have been happy to stay on and go back and forth a couple more times. It was SO relaxing... an oasis in the sky. Yeah, it would have lost its charm, I'm sure, but for an ultra long haul... Wow! We had taken JL outbound, and that was also great, but the space and size of the beds on Cathay F suites, especially the width... no "shoulder problems" for DH!)

We are hoping to find an excuse to give Singapore Suites a try once they have their new double suites with the window orientation. That should be quite something, too!

:-)

GC

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, psynurse said:

Want to fly from EWR to Singapore next Dec 2019. Then Singapore to Hong kong and back to EWR after few days. Anyone know when fllights can be booked for this? And, will premium economy be ok for long flight? Appreciate any info

Depending on airline, between about 360 and 330 days before travel. As you're buying round-trip travel, that basically means that many days before the last flight in your itinerary.

Economy is OK for a long flight. The majority of passengers fly economy. Almost all of them get there alive. Premium economy is a step up from that in comfort and service.

If you choose premium economy, though, make sure you choose premium economy, not some US airlines' "economy plus" (or similar names) which is merely normal economy with a few extra inches of legroom.

The other thing to beware of is that the early bird may get the ticket, but not necessarily the lowest (or even particularly low fares). It is a fallacy that the chepaest fares are available as soon as booking opens. Take some time to learn the market.

13 hours ago, psynurse said:

Want to fly from EWR to Singapore next Dec 2019. Then Singapore to Hong kong and back to EWR after few days. Anyone know when fllights can be booked for this? And, will premium economy be ok for long flight? Appreciate any info

If you are looking at SQ's non-stop between EWR and SIN it is only premium economy and business class.