Galapagos - which islands are best?

mishoe1

I am starting to look into a cruise around the Galapagos Islands, and am already getting confused! Want 7-10 days on board a ship.

So many options!

North & Central

Central & East

South & East

Just Central

South & Central

Just South

West & Central

North, Central & South

and even more!!

What is the best option to chose (or does it really matter)? This is to celebrate my 50th birthday, and I figure this will be a trip of a lifetime.

Can anyone give me any opinions/thoughts? I'd really appreciate it. TIA!

The cruise lines are assigned certain itineraries by the National Park. If you choose Celebrity Xpedition, you have a choice of the 'inner' and the 'outer 'route. I assume that the Silver Explorer gives a similar choice. The itineraries avoid placing several chips in one spot. We saw just a few smaller yachts in some areas, most of the time we were alone.

Correction: The Silversea ship is called Silver Galapagos. I hope I got that right.:)

We were on a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Xpedition and had booked their 10 day package which included a land portion in Quito including pick-up at the airport and return to the airport.

We then proceeded to the Amazon jungle in Ecuador. Just a 30 minute flight, then 2 1/2 hours in a motorized canoe, then 2 hours in a paddled canoe. Our lodge is called the Napo Wildlife Center. A laid-back place with hot water in a superb location! We saw wildlife that friends of ours did not see at a different lodge in the same jungle at the same time. I absolutely recommend it. The lodge arranged the flight and all transportation including our large suitcase.

Edited by Floridiana

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Did u get to the Galapagos? Any advice for those of us who have yet to visit?:)

Every island is very different. You'll see different flora and fauna. Even the sand is different one each island. It is hard to say which is the best.

I have some info and pictures in my personal travel blog. Just click on the Galapagos link in the Index.

• 1 year later...

Just started researching..there are northern, southern...

Inner, outer

Yes it is confusing

AND I read that bigger ships are barred from certain areas/certain waters/

Any updates appreciated...

• 5 months later...