P and O Australia - Australia Day Cruise Disappointment

datone

I booked the Australia Day cruise on the Pacific Aria leaving Brisbane on 23 January. Yesterday I receive an email saying that we are now not going to be moored in Sydney Harbour from 6.30 - 9.30 pm so we can enjoy the fireworks and celebrations - instead we are sailing at 5.30 pm straight out of the harbour. On ringing them I end up with their call centre in the Phillipines who advise that the reason for the change is that Sydney is going to be really busy that day and they wanted everyone back on board by 5 pm so we wouldn't be late leaving??? Originally we were going to be berthed at White Bay until 5.30 pm and then move to the mooring in the harbour. Then it was going to be the deck party with the other P and O ships, see the fireworks and harbour activity To me that was one of the main reasons I booked the cruise so am very disappointed with P and O especially as I cannot get a clear answer as to the real reason. Someone from Head Office is supposed to be ringing me but I don't think I will hold my breathe. Extremely poor P and O and I have to say I won't be cruising with you again.

I can understand your disappointment.

When they advertise a cruise with fireworks in Sydney Harbour they should deliver.

It sounds like everyone would have to have been onboard by 5pm anyway to move the ship around to the other side of the bridge to moor in the harbour for the fireworks.

My guess is that it comes down to money or their permission to moor in the harbour has been revoked.

Maybe the powers that be wanted more money for the ship to moor in the harbour or some people that would be viewing the fireworks on shore kicked up a stink as they thought that the ship would spoil their view and the party on board would be too loud.

Didnt this happen some years ago with P&O? I sort of remember it was blamed on water traffic being too heavy but ended up being the harbor was overbooked with Princess and P&O. either the pac Dawn or Pac Sun had to miss out.

Interesting, the Sydney port cruise schedule is showing:

Pacific Eden - Athol Buoy 4 until 17:00

Pacific Explorer - Point Piper Buoy until 16:30

Pacific Aria - White Bay Cruise Terminal until 17:30

Pacific Aria - Sydney Unspecified 18:30 to 22:00 which apparently has changed according to P&O

Looks like none of the P&O fleet will be in the harbour for the fireworks.

I booked the Australia Day cruise on the Pacific Aria leaving Brisbane on 23 January. Yesterday I receive an email saying that we are now not going to be moored in Sydney Harbour from 6.30 - 9.30 pm so we can enjoy the fireworks and celebrations - instead we are sailing at 5.30 pm straight out of the harbour. On ringing them I end up with their call centre in the Phillipines who advise that the reason for the change is that Sydney is going to be really busy that day and they wanted everyone back on board by 5 pm so we wouldn't be late leaving??? Originally we were going to be berthed at White Bay until 5.30 pm and then move to the mooring in the harbour. Then it was going to be the deck party with the other P and O ships, see the fireworks and harbour activity To me that was one of the main reasons I booked the cruise so am very disappointed with P and O especially as I cannot get a clear answer as to the real reason. Someone from Head Office is supposed to be ringing me but I don't think I will hold my breathe. Extremely poor P and O and I have to say I won't be cruising with you again.

The Americans would be filing compensation claims by now. :rolleyes: The Port Authority has probably ordered the Pacific Aria out of the harbour due to envisaged congestion by water craft in the harbour on Australia Day/Evening. :(

Have been in touch with P and O Head Office Customer Relations. None of the ships will be in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks. They have offered a full refund at this late stage so to do that means they acknowledge they are not offering what they sold people.

Have been in touch with P and O Head Office Customer Relations. None of the ships will be in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks. They have offered a full refund at this late stage so to do that means they acknowledge they are not offering what they sold people.

Thanks for that information. I will phone my son and see if he has received the email. He and his family and travelling with a couple of his wife's relatives. I imagine they are very disappointed, but at this late stage they might decide to go on the cruise and make the best of it. I hope everyone who goes on the cruise receives a decent amount of OBC as compensation. They should.

At least they are offering something, it is very disappointing for you though.

at this late stage they might decide to go on the cruise and make the best of it. I hope everyone who goes on the cruise receives a decent amount of OBC as compensation. They should.

I would hope that they do offer some sort of credit or OBC as compensation for those that do not cancel (due to other plans) but who knows what they will do.

Wow, that's unfortunate.

Wonder where the problem arose... not a great tourist friendly approach if from the government, but if an oversight from Carnival it would be with them. That said, they've been here in the Harbour for Aust Day before so should know procedures, so my guess at blame lies on the government side.

So I guess someone(s) screwed up & I fully understand people's disappointment in missing what was a integral part of the cruise. Good that this has been recognised by P&O and they have acted on this.

OP, will you cancel, or maybe still cruise if P&O offered some compensation for missing the evening entertainment?

In my view, fireworks are overrated & I just don't get this "it's not a celebration (of anything) if there's not fireworks" fixation.

I feel sorry for the people who were misled by P&O about their ships being on Sydney Harbour for the Australia Day fireworks and am pleased that P&O are offering a full refund.

However, I am happy for the people of Sydney who arrive early to get good viewing spots on the harbour to celebrate Australia Day and view all the Australia Day activity and fireworks on the Harbour. I will be joining them and would hate to have big ships blocking my view.

I feel sorry for the people who were misled by P&O about their ships being on Sydney Harbour for the Australia Day fireworks and am pleased that P&O are offering a full refund.

However, I am happy for the people of Sydney who arrive early to get good viewing spots on the harbour to celebrate Australia Day and view all the Australia Day activity and fireworks on the Harbour. I will be joining them and would hate to have big ships blocking my view.

Cannot see how fireworks going off high in the sky could be blocked by a ship moored at sea level and in the middle of the harbour. We were on the Pacific Eden for Australia Day last year ( and don't change it from Jan 26th to please a few whingers )and the fireworks were a pretty disappointing display.

Fair enough. Good on P&O.:p

However, I am happy for the people of Sydney who arrive early to get good viewing spots on the harbour to celebrate Australia Day and view all the Australia Day activity and fireworks on the harbour. I will be joining them and would hate to have big ships blocking my view.

I agree about the pax who are disappointed with Piss me Off not delivering what they advertised. However, how does a ship at sea level bock your view of fireworks in the sky.

#firstwirldproblems

I agree about the pax who are disappointed with Piss me Off not delivering what they advertised. However, how does a ship at sea level bock your view of fireworks in the sky.

#firstwirldproblems

I guess it depends how close the ship is in front of you. This will be my first Sydney Harbour Australia Day fireworks, but I had assumed not all fireworks would be high up in the sky.

....I had assumed not all fireworks would be high up in the sky.

That's what are called Terrigal Beach Fireworks ;)

I suggest regulations re ships being in the harbour have changed - I recall that there was the furore when a ship was in the harbour for NYE. In any case the Lord Mayor of Sydney Harbour (ms botox) sets the rules for fireworks

My son and daughter-in-law said they will still go on the cruise, but they are a bit disappointed that the ship has to leave before the fireworks.

I am pretty sure this would not have been a decision by P&O. My guess is that they have been instructed to leave the harbour at 5.30. I can remember a fuss a couple of years ago by people around the harbour claiming the ship or ships anchored in the harbour blocked their view.

We are on one of the other ships in the harbour throughout the day (Syd/Syd cruise). Bit disappointed about no fireworks, but that was a small, 10m end to the day, rather than the primary focus. From last time doing the Aust Day cruise, the rest of the day out in the middle of the harbour was really good watching the boat dress-ups, ferry races, flyovers from the F18's and A380's and everything else happening on the harbour.

I do feel sorry though for those from Brisbane who are now missing out on the fireworks, which was one of the highlights when docked at white bay for the day.

I also suspect it was a last minute change enforced upon P&O. They advertised that they now have some form of dress up with a $10k first prize (total $20k in all prizes), which I have never seen advertised before. No interest to me, but I suspect that is what they were formally spending on fireworks.

We are on one of the other ships in the harbour throughout the day (Syd/Syd cruise). Bit disappointed about no fireworks, but that was a small, 10m end to the day, rather than the primary focus. From last time doing the Aust Day cruise, the rest of the day out in the middle of the harbour was really good watching the boat dress-ups, ferry races, flyovers from the F18's and A380's and everything else happening on the harbour.

I do feel sorry though for those from Brisbane who are now missing out on the fireworks, which was one of the highlights when docked at white bay for the day.

I also suspect it was a last minute change enforced upon P&O. They advertised that they now have some form of dress up with a $10k first prize (total $20k in all prizes), which I have never seen advertised before. No interest to me, but I suspect that is what they were formally spending on fireworks.

Agreed, I haven't heard of the dress up thing before. Are you going as yourself, that would be funny, especially if you always just avoided calamity..;p

So I guess someone(s) screwed up & I fully understand people's disappointment in missing what was a integral part of the cruise. Good that this has been recognised by P&O and they have acted on this.

OP, will you cancel, or maybe still cruise if P&O offered some compensation for missing the evening entertainment?

In my view, fireworks are overrated & I just don't get this "it's not a celebration (of anything) if there's not fireworks" fixation.

Still deciding about whether to go or not. Hubby wants to, being self-employed I have cleared any work for those days, dog is booked with sitter, and this cruise gets me to Elite with Princess (who I usually cruise with) in time for my PNG cruise next month. So there are reasons still to go. They have offered OBC as compensation if we don't cancel.

Still deciding about whether to go or not. Hubby wants to, being self-employed I have cleared any work for those days, dog is booked with sitter, and this cruise gets me to Elite with Princess (who I usually cruise with) in time for my PNG cruise next month. So there are reasons still to go. They have offered OBC as compensation if we don't cancel.

Do you mind if I ask how much OBC? :)

I would still go, most of the fun on the arbour is during the day with the ferry race and such, the Aussie day fireworks are not that great and you can always record the telecast on TV. Some compensation would suit me fine.