Why are Fred Olsen so vague about port times?

jennjess

Most if not all other cruise lines do give the times of expected arrivals and departures at the port of call. I realise that they might be a bit late or early depending on weather situations etc.. But early AM or late PM does seem abit vague.

Surely most ports slots do need to be booked in advance?

If you book excursions your cruise book will give the details you require,

early am 0500-0951

late am 1000-1159

early pm 1200-1559

late pm 1600-1959

late night 2000 onwards.

Hope this helps.

Mind you, as you are on holiday does it really matter?

I suppose it depends on what you do in port. It certainly matters to us, as we often make our own arrangements. If you just do ship excursions, or simply get off and potter around, then it is less important.

For example, with an ‘early am’ arrival in Hamburg, I foolishly made a reservation for Miniature Wunderland at 9am. Turned out scheduled arrival time was 9am! Yes, within the quoted time slot, but not what I would call early! Won’t make that mistake again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally agree that these vague times are very frustrating. It is really the only thing I dislike about Fred. When I do book with them, I get online and try to find websites for each of the ports as they will sometimes, at least, show when they expect the ship to arrive. Norwegian ports, in particular, are very good at having that information online.

I suppose it depends on what you do in port. It certainly matters to us, as we often make our own arrangements. If you just do ship excursions, or simply get off and potter around, then it is less important.

For example, with an ‘early am’ arrival in Hamburg, I foolishly made a reservation for Miniature Wunderland at 9am. Turned out scheduled arrival time was 9am! Yes, within the quoted time slot, but not what I would call early! Won’t make that mistake again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also prefer to do our own thing (I don't enjoy being herded about) and when making arrangements it's difficult to know what time to arrange things for when the timings are so vague. I suppose to be sure we would have to arrange things past the range of possible arrival times.

• 2 months later...
I’ve never had any problems getting scheduled port times by emailing Fred. I’ve just received the details for my August cruise within 24 hours of asking.

That’s a useful tip. I will send them an email.

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately emailing doesn’t seem to work for Caribbean cruise. Fred have advised us that they are only informed 48 hours prior to arrival at individual ports.

Hence no arrival times can be posted on individual port sites

Have found arrival times for European ports easily though

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, jennjess said:

Most if not all other cruise lines do give the times of expected arrivals and departures at the port of call. I realise that they might be a bit late or early depending on weather situations etc.. But early AM or late PM does seem abit vague.

Surely most ports slots do need to be booked in advance?

P&O dont give port times either. Highly frustrating when you want to arrange things.

The Shore Tours office at FO do know the port times.  I wrote in inquiry to them about just one of my husband's tour and they sent me a printout of all his tours times, which just happened to indicate the exact port times as well.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:11 AM, comcox said:

The Shore Tours office at FO do know the port times.  I wrote in inquiry to them about just one of my husband's tour and they sent me a printout of all his tours times, which just happened to indicate the exact port times as well.

I have also found that a good way to get info. from shore tours.  After all, if you are thinking of booking one of their tours, then you may well want to know just when the ship is in port, so you would know if you would have time to go ashore independently as well as doing the tour 🙂

Edited by tring

• 1 month later...

This seems to be more common with British cruise lines for some reason.  I normally just google "port of...." plus the name and then check out the port website.  Not all but most have a cruise schedule with relevant timings.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:33 AM, tring said:

I have also found that a good way to get info. from shore tours.  After all, if you are thinking of booking one of their tours, then you may well want to know just when the ship is in port, so you would know if you would have time to go ashore independently as well as doing the tour 🙂

Just tried this for my upcoming May cruise and they would not even give me times of the shore tours, let alone the port times.  I wrote back and said I would book my port tours elsewhere because I was so frustrated.

Both Fred and P and O seem to want to keep their port times secret, but as I said before I have called or emailed and they have given them to me. Otherwise just look up the cruise timetables on the local port authority. It will also tell you which quay they dock at.