Where excursions end (when it's a different port)?

GeezerCouple

I'm not sure I quite understand the question. The whole list of excursions is here : https://www.hurtigruten.com/excursions/ (filter by "Norway" and then by season). I think the description makes it clear whether the excursion is during the stop or between two stops. The number of the excursion refers to the day the excursion is held (2A : excursion happens on day 2 of the trip, 10C : excursion happens on the 10th day and so on).

And the brochure for winter excursion : http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/791a0223#/791a0223/1 .

It says the ports for each excursion (for instance : 9A "A taste of Vesteraalen" from Harstad to Sortland).

Is that what you are looking for?

I would wait to be on board to buy the excursion (except maybe husky sledging if you are interested in that). You can then ask questions to the tour leader.

I'm not sure I quite understand the question. The whole list of excursions is here : https://www.hurtigruten.com/excursions/ (filter by "Norway" and then by season). I think the description makes it clear whether the excursion is during the stop or between two stops. The number of the excursion refers to the day the excursion is held (2A : excursion happens on day 2 of the trip, 10C : excursion happens on the 10th day and so on).

And the brochure for winter excursion : http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/791a0223#/791a0223/1 .

It says the ports for each excursion (for instance : 9A "A taste of Vesteraalen" from Harstad to Sortland).

Is that what you are looking for?

I would wait to be on board to buy the excursion (except maybe husky sledging if you are interested in that). You can then ask questions to the tour leader.

Perfect!

Yes, thank you - this is precisely what I was wondering.

I haven't seen this particular version of the excursion descriptions.

This brochure is extremely helpful.

I don't remember seeing everything in it, before, but perhaps I was just initially a bit overwhelmed trying to figure things out from the few bits of information that I was able to find online.

It was really confusing at first, and I'm not quite sure why. (It's certainly not the first time I've investigated cruise-sponsored excursions.)

I understand that Hurtigruten just sent some materials to us via the agency our TA works with.

No idea what is in it, but it's sort of late... a bit more than 2 weeks prior to sailing. Given the long distances some people have to travel, and the fact that many of us would include other destinations before the cruise, some passengers might be on their way.

We leave in a week. :)

Thanks again!

GC

There is very little you actually need. Upon embarking in Bergen I was just asked for my passport (not my booking number or anything). Everything else (including excursion information) you can get on board and you will have enough time to examine.

There is a tour leader at your disposal, whose job is mainly to advertise and sell excursions, so you can ask him/her about it when you board. There is usually a meeting planned with him/her on the first evening after dinner and before departure.

Most excursions do not book up and you can book it the day before (this way you can also have some idea about the weather, although take weather forecast with a bit of salt).

You will get every day a daily program which will include all the information for the day, the excursions, ports of call, hours of meals (they can change slightly from day to day), the few on-board activities, deadlines for excursion bookings, and so on.

So just relax, take your passport, credit card, camera, and warm clothes and you'll be fine!

Enregistrer

There is very little you actually need. Upon embarking in Bergen I was just asked for my passport (not my booking number or anything). Everything else (including excursion information) you can get on board and you will have enough time to examine.

There is a tour leader at your disposal, whose job is mainly to advertise and sell excursions, so you can ask him/her about it when you board. There is usually a meeting planned with him/her on the first evening after dinner and before departure.

Most excursions do not book up and you can book it the day before (this way you can also have some idea about the weather, although take weather forecast with a bit of salt).

You will get every day a daily program which will include all the information for the day, the excursions, ports of call, hours of meals (they can change slightly from day to day), the few on-board activities, deadlines for excursion bookings, and so on.

So just relax, take your passport, credit card, camera, and warm clothes and you'll be fine!

Enregistrer

Thanks again.We'll seek out the tour leader once we are on board!

It's hard to believe the trip is almost here.

We usually book far in advance, and this wasn't different, with just about a year to go...

We've been following the Trollfjord with the locator and webcams, and a short time ago, there was some beautiful scenery off the port side (there is a forward/bridge and port webcam). Even though it was dark, the snowy cliffs (?) must have been catching some moonlight or something. Nice!

But first, we have almost a week in Oslo, and then 2 nights in Bergen, with that nice train between.

Can't wait! :)

GC

You should have a link to excursions and travel information in your order confirmation email.

This is a link to the current ORDER FORM EXCURSIONS - but it might a good idea to wait with booking until you know the weather conditions once onboard -and also get some advise.

In the form you can see where the excursion will take place and also if it does end en another port like "H-STU4G Highlights of Lofoten (Stamsund- Svolvær)" starting in Stamsund and then meeting the ship again in Svolvær.

The short stops in ports is the reason why it a bit difficult to arrange your own excursions while Hurtigruten can arrange longe excursions where the ship is met in a later port.

You should have a link to excursions and travel information in your order confirmation email.

This is a link to the current ORDER FORM EXCURSIONS - but it might a good idea to wait with booking until you know the weather conditions once onboard -and also get some advise.

In the form you can see where the excursion will take place and also if it does end en another port like "H-STU4G Highlights of Lofoten (Stamsund- Svolvær)" starting in Stamsund and then meeting the ship again in Svolvær.

The short stops in ports is the reason why it a bit difficult to arrange your own excursions while Hurtigruten can arrange longe excursions where the ship is met in a later port.

Hmmmm.

I don't think we have an "email confirmation" that is clickable.

We have an email from our TA ]"Attached is your receipt"], and it has a couple of attached pdf's, including a receipt. But these aren't clickable. Just simple pdf's. The receipt seems to be on Hurtigruten forms, but from the Seattle office.

I think I need to follow up with the TA, and see if they had something that they didn't quite forward in full (?).

Thanks.

GC

Might be a good idea to contact your TA .

I also got the link to 'Travel guide for the Norwegian Coast' and 'Hand book arrival and departure'.

The two hand books at the links are in Norwegian language

... but I found the following in English Language

Arrival and Departure Information

Handbook for voyages before 31 March 2018

Handbook for voyages after 31 March 2018

I also got the link to 'Travel guide for the Norwegian Coast' and 'Hand book arrival and departure'.

Thanks so much!

I don't remember seeing these, and thanks also for the English versions.

I have asked our TA about these, and also to check whether his agency had some "things" in emails that weren't forwarded along with the official receipt... way back last March.

There may have been a few extra steps with our reservation for this. Usually we book directly with the cruise line.

(Maybe IF we had then known about the Seattle office, we might have done it on our own. But in general, he is a real gem. I'm not sure any of us had heard of Hurtigruten until I stumbled across it, probably through CruiseCritic, although I've forgotten how I first learned of them. He's helped us get awards First class seats on international flights, and for that, he is worth his weight in gold!)

But now I need to find out if we've overlooked any other materials.

I guess I'll know more when we receive the Express Packet in a day or two... but time is getting... late!

A week from now, we'll be getting ready for the comfort of Lufthansa F, a real treat :)

I suspect that we've ferretted out most of the essential information, thanks to Google and also thanks to so many of you folks here on CruiseCritic. What a resource!

It's all been useful, but you and SarniaLo - treasures, and with gorgeous photography. Hurtigruten should pay you commissions, you show it all so beautifully. :D

Thanks again.

GC

Thank you for this information. I am going in October of this year. I am not sure if I read the handbook correctly. It said that at Bergen there is a terminal and that you can hand your luggage over at the terminal? I will be traveling for a month and because of what comes before the cruise on Hurtigruten, I will have 2 pieces of luggage even though I am solo. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you for this information. I am going in October of this year. I am not sure if I read the handbook correctly. It said that at Bergen there is a terminal and that you can hand your luggage over at the terminal? I will be traveling for a month and because of what comes before the cruise on Hurtigruten, I will have 2 pieces of luggage even though I am solo. I really appreciate your help.

You can hand in the luggage from 12:30, Check-in start at 15.00 and cabins are available from kl. 18.00

In addition you will find 25 storage boxes in the terminal - do not know the size but assume that they can be used for suitcases. The storage boxes are not operated by Hurtigruten, and there is no exchange machine in the terminal. Price: 30 kr (3 x 10 kr).

• 1 month later...

As minimum, register your interest in an excursion soon after you board. We were interested in the Sea Eagle Excursion on one of our trips but were told that the last of the season was the previous week. However, enough of us had asked about it that they put on an additional excursion just for our sailing. And it was excellent despite being dropped off to rejoin Midnatsol in the dark!