Star Flyer - July 25 2018 - Venice to Athens

FandFmom

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know it's a long shot, but, anyone else doing this trip?

Might be nice to "know" someone else on board.

Hi FandFmom. We are sailing on the Star Flyer from Venice to Athens on October 6. Will you be sending out any updates on your cruise and port experiences? We traveled on Star Clipper in the Mediterranean in 1998 and loved it. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed.

Trip from Athens to Venice is turning out very nicely. Corfu yesterday, Kotor today, and enjoying the Star Flyer experience a lot. Would be difficult to go back to an apartment block afloat when I've had the chance to stand by the wheel in the wind and enjoy the sea so much more directly.

It was a very short call... arrived 0900, departed 1400. Three of our party did the boat trip, which they enjoyed The rest of us took the very convenient city bus straight from the cruise docks (custom house) to the Old Town (EUR 1.70) and walked about, had a bite and a drink. Would love to revisit for more and longer, but a decent taste.

Agreed, thanks for these updates. I am curious what people do if they don’t go ashore or only go ashore for a little while. I want to swim a little, is there opportunity to do that from the boat?

Hi FandFmom. We are sailing on the Star Flyer from Venice to Athens on October 6. Will you be sending out any updates on your cruise and port experiences? We traveled on Star Clipper in the Mediterranean in 1998 and loved it. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed.

I plan on doing some sort of write up when we get back.

Sorry, no -- we'll be on the previous trip (July 14, Athens to Venice). Good voyage to you!

Hey there, I’m enjoying your updates as you cruise. Our hotel in Venice is right near the port at San Basilio, we’ll keep an eye out for the ship on the 25th.

Agreed, thanks for these updates. I am curious what people do if they don’t go ashore or only go ashore for a little while. I want to swim a little, is there opportunity to do that from the boat?

In theory. We've not had a call when we've done that to my knowledge. There are on board activities for those not going ashore, but I've not seen any of the (mentioned in the literature) water sports from the boat as yet.

In theory. We've not had a call when we've done that to my knowledge. There are on board activities for those not going ashore, but I've not seen any of the (mentioned in the literature) water sports from the boat as yet.

It looks like my previous post was swallowed by Internet gremlins. Bottom line (based on the past few days) it seems ship-based water sports are dependent on (a) weather conditions and (b) the port authorities (who are in turn influenced by how much money the locals earn by provisioning such sports themselves). The only ports on this trip that have okay ed it have been in Croatia, and even then plain old swimming was disallowed.

No problem. Arrived in Venice this morning, and sad to leave the ship behind -- we had a wonderful time, and I feel spoiled now for any sort of "hotel cruising". Hope your trip on the ride back out is as much fun. Say hi to Simona for me ("Team 3" -- she'll recognize the reference). Bon voyage!

Tough call -- each of them had something to offer. I think my favorite, and the one I'd love to spend more time in, would be Corfu; so much to explore there, both in Corfu Town and in the surrounding island. My wife liked Kotor best, I think, and its quaint old town was indeed charming and interesting. I don't think I would explicitly return to Mali Losinj or Mykonos (though my family enjoyed the latter).

• 2 weeks later...

We are home now. We had some crazy travel issues along the way but overall it was a great trip. I’ll do more of a write up in the next few days - still getting into the swing of things back at home. Suffice it to say, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and are looking into another one already and are talking family members into going.

• 2 weeks later...

We are own the Star Flyer same time. The last two cruises were in the Caribbean in the 90'2 and it wasn't fun. We typically rent a car and do Europe. But driving through the Balkans was a bit daunting and this looked like fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Our Oct6 cruise includes 3 ports in Croatia. Can you give us any advice about if we should wait until we get there to get Kunas or should we get some before we leave home.

Looking forward to your write ups. We're getting so excited.

Most of the advice I've seen is that credit cards give better rates (esp. ones with no transaction fees) than ATMs, which give better rate than normal currency exchanges.

We used plastic where we could in Croatia, but we also hit an ATM (plentiful) shortly after our first arrival to get some cash for circumstances where plastic wasn't accepted or wasn't suitable. There's little need for getting Kunas before you go.

• 2 weeks later...
We are considering doing this cruise (or similar) next fall and was wondering if there are any hiking opportunities at any of the ports. Thank so much.

Most of the ports have at least informal hiking opportunities (beyond wandering in town).

Mali Losinj has extensive hiking trails around the island.

Hvar had an actual hiking expedition offered by the ship. I believe there were a couple of other places that did, too.

Kotor had the challenge in hiking up and around the mountainside city wall.