Tours from Gatun Lake, Panama Partial Transit

sunluva7

We will be on Coral Princess next week, signed up for a wildlife/Monkey cruise while the ship is anchored in Gatun Lake. If anyone has done a tour from Gatun Lake, approximately what time did your tour actually leave the ship, and how long did you have to wait in Colon after the tour for the ship to return through the locks and meet you? I hear there is nothing to do in Colon but wait for the ship, and that part of the day doesn’t appeal to me.

All of these times are dependent on exactly how long it takes to get through the locks, both ways. But generally they will get you off and on your way for the tours ASAP. Then the ship will go back through the locks as traffic permits. If you have a tour 4 hours or longer, I don't think you will be just sitting, waiting for the ship at Colon. The longer tours with get off the ship first, so shorter tours probably won't be waiting either.

Your tour will last from the time you get off the ship, until you return to Colon. The ship will be there, waiting on you. You need to figure anywhere from 5-8 hours. It's a long time off the ship, in the heat.

The ship returns the way you entered, and the passengers can get off and shop for a while in the "flea market" (calling it a "mall" is a bit of an overstatement!)....while they wait for the excursion people to return.

Thanks, everyone. We’ve decided to stay on board at Gatun Lake, since my husband is recovering from a recent health issue, and we are doing a similar rainforest boat ride in Limon. Don’t need the guess work and excess time in the heat. We’ll enjoy whatever the view is in the lake, the uncrowded experience of returning through the locks, with the added benefit of A/C when we need it.