dying to hear updates from the Magic in the Med!

CanuckonaBoat

Has anyone just gotten off the May 26th Magic? Navigators? any updates? things to note?

Well, apparently, the trend to multiple showings of the productions shows is expanding to the Magic. Check out Scott's blog for a recent Navigator. All 3 production shows are being run twice on the cruise.

Sad....

Well, apparently, the trend to multiple showings of the productions shows is expanding to the Magic. Check out Scott's blog for a recent Navigator. All 3 production shows are being run twice on the cruise.

Sad....

While this assures plenty of seating, I suspect it is being done to eliminate the "need" for other entertainers. At DCL prices, that's crazy.

Sad....

I'm confused, why is it sad?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because it eliminates the other entertainment that was happening in the WDT. And most of the shows have been running for years. While there are always cruisers on board who haven't seen them, there are others who have seen them 23 times and don't feel the need to go again. Those people enjoyed the other activities that were in the WDT on nights when there was not a major production show.

DCL has been in the Med for many years. Even there, there are lots of repeat cruisers.

One of the things that set DCL aside from the other cruise lines was the fact that they had a different show every night. After all, Disney is an "entertainment" company, so I expect better entertainment.

I don't care for repeat shows on cruises, like some other major cruise lines do. I don't want to just hang around in one of the bars/lounges being subjected to deafening "music" that's not my kind of music.

Totally agree. The "show" every night was not a huge production show. This typically happened 3 of the 7 nights of a standard cruise. But the other nights had something going on in the WDT....whatever it happened to be on a particular cruise.

I had hoped this "experiment" of double shows would be quickly snuffed out. I love DCL but continuing this practice would be motivation to experiment with other cruise lines. I intend to write a letter to the DCL executive office and give them my opinion. I encourage others to do the same. While I have rarely written them letters, they have always been responsive, and, I hope they listen well!

i'd be happy to have two nights of tangled so that i can see it twice!

But Tangled is a new show and most people would not object to the chance to see it twice. On the other hand, Disney Dreams has been running since 1998 with one major and a couple of minor upgrades. I love it, but not twice on one cruise.

i just checked the Magic Navigators for the past several cruises and couldn't find any cruises with repeated shows.

Can whoever originally mentioned this say exactly which Disney Magic cruises this occurred on?

I'm just back from the May 26th Med cruise on Magic. Both Tangled and Dreams were on for 2 nights.

I'm just back from the May 26th Med cruise on Magic. Both Tangled and Dreams were on for 2 nights.

Interesting. Looking at the navigators from the EBTA, there were no repeated shows and lots of good entertainment.

i just checked the Magic Navigators for the past several cruises and couldn't find any cruises with repeated shows.

Can whoever originally mentioned this say exactly which Disney Magic cruises this occurred on?

The DCL blog posted day 1 navigators of this week's Med cruise and it included no welcome show, and repeats of the 3 stage productions. Variety acts have all been moved to the lounges.

I board on Saturday and I'll be very unhappy if this continues.

The DCL blog posted day 1 navigators of this week's Med cruise and it included no welcome show, and repeats of the 3 stage productions. Variety acts have all been moved to the lounges.

I board on Saturday and I'll be very unhappy if this continues.

i just looked at the navigator Scott posted and there is a welcome aboard show on the 1st night in the Walt Disney Theater - it's called "Be Our Guest - Welcome Aboard Show".

And there's a magician in the walt disney theater on the 5th night.

Tangled is shown twice (3rd and 4th nights) and Dreams is on twice (6th and 7th nights).

Twice Charmed is once (on the second night).

And Scott comments that there will be other shows in the lounge.

so in the walt disney theater, on Scott's cruise:

1st night - Be Our Guest - Welcome Aboard Show

2nd night - Twice Charmed

3rd night - Tangled

4th night - Tangled

5th night - magician

6th night - Dreams

7th night - Dreams

i just looked at the navigator Scott posted and there is a welcome aboard show on the 1st night in the Walt Disney Theater - it's called "Be Our Guest - Welcome Aboard Show".

And there's a magician in the walt disney theater on the 5th night.

Tangled is shown twice (3rd and 4th nights) and Dreams is on twice (6th and 7th nights).

Twice Charmed is once (on the second night).

And Scott comments that there will be other shows in the lounge.

so in the walt disney theater, on Scott's cruise:

1st night - Be Our Guest - Welcome Aboard Show

2nd night - Twice Charmed

3rd night - Tangled

4th night - Tangled

5th night - magician

6th night - Dreams

7th night - Dreams

No. Here is the link to the cruise happening right now that he is on.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2018/06/trip-log-day-1-7-night-mediterranean-cruise-on-disney-magic-barcelona/

Day 1&2 - Twice Charmed

Day 3&4 - Tangled

Day 5- magician

Day 6&7- Dreams

Yes, variety acts are in the lounge but the capacity in those spaces is much much less.

The TAs are known for amazing entertainment, far beyond that on "normal" cruises.

The problem with the variety acts in other venues (typically "Fathoms" on the Magic) is that it is a much smaller venue. That means fewer seats, often not enough for all who would like to attend. The shows are sometimes shorter than a show by the same entertainer in the WDT. When these are done after the first seating of the show, they are timed with other activities--family dance party, character meet and greets, etc. in order to have some people choose other activities.

And when any of the main production shows are being repeated in the WDT, that's a night that something else can't be scheduled there...whether that "something else" is a movie, an entertainer, or whatever. Once upon a time, there used to be matinee performances of the production shows when that time wasn't needed for a cast rehearsal. That makes a lot more sense than running the same show on two consecutive nights!

The TAs are known for amazing entertainment' date=' far beyond that on "normal" cruises.

The problem with the variety acts in other venues (typically "Fathoms" on the Magic) is that it is a much smaller venue. That means fewer seats, often not enough for all who would like to attend. The shows are sometimes shorter than a show by the same entertainer in the WDT. When these are done after the first seating of the show, they are timed with other activities--family dance party, character meet and greets, etc. in order to have some people choose other activities.

And when any of the main production shows are being repeated in the WDT, that's a night that something else can't be scheduled there...whether that "something else" is a movie, an entertainer, or whatever. Once upon a time, there used to be matinee performances of the production shows when that time wasn't needed for a cast rehearsal. That makes a lot more sense than running the same show on two consecutive nights![/quote']

they can't have matinees on the med cruises - which is where the magic is now..

well they can on sea days, but there are very few of those on the port intensive med cruises...

i wonder if this schedule is specifically because the magic is in the med right now..

there are issues with the med cruises, the theater shows being one of them..

My daughter was on the magic in the med 2 years ago.

More than half of the ship were non-native english speakers, many speaking no english at all.

She said it impacted various aspects of the cruise, including the shows.

She was particularly irritated by the constant talking during the theater shows - both people just talking and people doing a running translation for their children.

(the other problem being the inability of certain cultures to stand in line - but that's another story).

so perhaps disney has altered the theater schedule for the med as a result of some of these issues?

in the recent navigators on scott's website from before the magic crossed the atlantic, it doesn't seem like they duplicated shows.

It seems to have occurred once they reached europe?

Edited by alaska_planner

We've done several cruises where there were large numbers of Spanish speakers. Yes, announcements were multi-lingual, but you are right about the shows and people talking. On one cruise, I was with a friend who had lived in Spain for several years. There was a rude drunk behind us who couldn't shut his mouth. I gave him dirty looks several times to no avail. I don't know what he said, but my friend turned around and snapped something at him in Spanish--it was the last we heard from him!

DCL CAN do matinees if they wish. Actually this time is slotted at the theatre for a rehearsal if needed. The show is already prepared to go that evening. If there was a problem on the previous performance of that show, if an understudy is used or a new actor had to be brought in, etc., they will run the show to perfect it. If they don't need the rehearsal, the time was used for a matinee. I do realize that most people are in port on port days, but those with young children are the most likely to stay on board or come back early. And, as you pointed out, there are sea days. But the practice was discontinued on all itineraries.

I guess I just don't understand the need for 4 performances of the same show.....unless, maybe it is due to late port times. I don't know if this is the case; I do know we had some late "all aboard" times in the Med.

We've done several cruises where there were large numbers of Spanish speakers. Yes' date=' announcements were multi-lingual, but you are right about the shows and people talking. On one cruise, I was with a friend who had lived in Spain for several years. There was a rude drunk behind us who couldn't shut his mouth. I gave him dirty looks several times to no avail. I don't know what he said, but my friend turned around and snapped something at him in Spanish--it was the last we heard from him!

DCL CAN do matinees if they wish. Actually this time is slotted at the theatre for a rehearsal if needed. The show is already prepared to go that evening. If there was a problem on the previous performance of that show, if an understudy is used or a new actor had to be brought in, etc., they will run the show to perfect it. If they don't need the rehearsal, the time was used for a matinee. I do realize that most people are in port on port days, but those with young children are the most likely to stay on board or come back early. And, as you pointed out, there are sea days. But the practice was discontinued on all itineraries.

I guess I just don't understand the need for 4 performances of the same show.....unless, maybe it is due to late port times. I don't know if this is the case; I do know we had some late "all aboard" times in the Med.[/quote']

that's another good point - the late port times...

and the port intensive itinerary of the med cruises...

again, i looked at the navigators from before the TA and i don't see any repeated shows..

only once the magic made it to europe..

anyone who cruises this summer who has a problem with it should definitely fill out a comment card...

and also tell the officers on board what you think....that's the only way they'll know...if you tell them..