• 55-59
    • 60-64
    • 65-69
    • 70-74
    • 75-79
    • 80-84
    • 85-89
    • 90+

What possible relevance is the age of a reader/poster on Cruise Critic? would you also propose polls on:

hair color (natural or enhanced)?

height and/or weight?

marital status?

current gender and/or gender preference?

The site is Cruise Critic; names are anonymous.

I am opting out of your "poll".

Sorry, Marq that some posters are not kind....one need not answer if not interested in the post. I am 67...and hubby still needs me, still feeds me even though I am past 64.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish there was a like button. One of our wedding songs we had to include. Always makes me smile.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. If the ages are not connected to the person, I don't see why it is intrusive. As to the why, age and nationality demographics are a point of interest to some.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. If the ages are not connected to the person, I don't see why it is intrusive. As to the why, age and nationality demographics are a point of interest to some.

+1 for me.

Here's another cruiser who thinks the poll is fine.

Btw, I'm not sure what other responders have done, but I averaged my husband's age (88) and mine (75) and checked the relevant box. I hope that didn't skew things in some unwanted manner.

I think the poll, may be useful to posters and viewers to keep in mind that over 75% of the posters are over 60 and that their comments may reflect that also. There is nothing wrong or bad about that, but it is a perspective that is meaningful. You may feel like you are still 30, but you aren't! I will join that demographic next year:eek:

Hi Marq - I applaud your efforts. As the old saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished". "This 70-year old" is finding the data coming out of the survey to be very interesting - keeping in mind that it only represents a small sliver of the total Regent customer base.

In this world today, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of folks who "don't like" what "other folks" are doing - from smoking cigars, using drinking straws, or even wearing perfume. I have no doubt that Regent "knows" virtually everything about all of us! DOB's, SSN's, addresses, CC #'s, and they can probably also impute family income levels from their data (I'm sure they can probably get our FICO scores). It's a pretty fair bet that someone with over 20 Regent cruises under their belt is doing a "bit better" than minimum wage! Have a great day.

Hi Marq - I applaud your efforts. As the old saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished". "This 70-year old" is finding the data coming out of the survey to be very interesting - keeping in mind that it only represents a small sliver of the total Regent customer base.

In this world today, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of folks who "don't like" what "other folks" are doing - from smoking cigars, using drinking straws, or even wearing perfume. I have no doubt that Regent "knows" virtually everything about all of us! DOB's, SSN's, addresses, CC #'s, and they can probably also impute family income levels from their data (I'm sure they can probably get our FICO scores). It's a pretty fair bet that someone with over 20 Regent cruises under their belt is doing a "bit better" than minimum wage! Have a great day.

Loved this post!

Sheila

Thank you. I posted a similar poll (I don't remember the breaks I used) about ten years ago. I try to set up the "brackets" to create a bell curve. I am not surprised that the modal of the curve is mid-60s; I will try to find my old poll to see if it was similar ten years ago (i.e., people come and go but of like ages) or if the mode was lower (i.e., maybe it is just an aging population of Regent cruisers). Obviously I should have included one more bracket at bottom and had 85+ as top bracket to get a good curve.

Marc

I agree with all you said with one exception FICO scores. One must be applying for credit to do a hard inquiry and need not to provide their social security number. We have never provided ours to any cruise line only passport and visa numbers.

In my opinion, this gives a skewed look at the age of Regent passengers. What it shows is the ages of the posters on CC rather than ages of those that sail on Regent. There have been many people under the age of 50 on our cruises which is not reflected in this poll. And, as I've said with other polls, no one knows if the voters even sail on Regent.

If I read this poll and was considering Regent for the first time, I'd think that I would be sailing in an old folks home (a reputation that HAL already has and it would be a shame if that was how Regent was thought of). There is so much more to the Regent Experience than age, sex, ethnicity, religion or country of residency.

I do find it interesting that when I ask posters to indicate their country of residency and prior cruise history, people don't want to post - even though this information helps in responding to posters. Yet, when asked your age many are forthcoming. Go figure!