Freedom of the Seas Early Trip Report- July 7, 2018

Hi everyone...

My name is Rob. I am from Baltimore, MD (Owings Mills to be exact) and I work as a Operations Director for a Wealth Management Practice affiliated with a large NY based Investment Management Bank. My DW, Lisa, is a Social Worker for one of the hospitals here in Baltimore.

We are taking this cruise to celebrate Lisa's 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary which occurs on July 4th.

We are the proud parents of two wonderful teenagers. Our DD, Allison, is a rising Junior at the University of South Florida and our DS, Jordan is a rising Junior in a private high school here in Baltimore.

This will be our first 7 day cruise that Lisa and I will be taking by ourselves without the children. Allison is currently taking summer classes at USF while we will take Jordan to camp next Sunday morning. We felt it was a great time for us to finally take a week for ourselves and visit the Southern Caribbean an itinerary that we had yet to cruise.

About one month ago, our vacation was put into jeopardy because Lisa had a health scare which required surgery and hospitalization and an extended recovery time of 4 to 6 weeks. Fortunately, she is almost back to normal and will return to work two days before we leave for our vacation. :-)

Ok enough of the background....

We are leaving on Friday, July 6th on an 8:30 AM Southwest flight from BWI to SJU. We will be staying at the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel in an Ocean View King Suite courtesy of Lisa's brother. (Thanks, Paul).

We should arrive at the Vanderbilt by about 2:00 PM on Friday and expect to be poolside by 3:00 PM.

We plan on having dinner somewhere in the Condado area of San Juan.

Between my OCD planning and vacation excitement, we never fly in the day of the cruise so we expect to have a nice day before the cruise in San Juan.

Saturday morning will be a lazy morning before heading over to the Pan American pier to board the Freedom.

As of right now, our only plans for excursions will be the St. John beach trip while in St. Thomas and Mahlo Beach while in St. Maarten. We do not have anything set for Aruba or Curacao as we just like to explore the downtown areas when making our first visits to new Ports of Call.

On board, we only have the Deluxe Drink package as of now. We will look for specialty restaurant deals once we are on the ship.

I hope to start posting updates as we get closer and once we are on our way.

Picture of our family:

ec8ec5c1c46e717af39cd88a91b505fe.jpg

Edited by ravenrob

Love the background story minus the surgery. I will be on Freedom November 4th out of San Juan too and am excited to hear what you have to say about the ship. It's one of my favorite ships. Looking forward to hearing more.

Hi Rob and Lisa too,

My husband Tom and I are on this cruise with you. We are going solo also leaving our DS 21, DD 19, and DD 15 on other adventures. We are looking forward to enjoying this cruise and some new ports for us. Hope Lisa continues to feel better! I will look forward to reading about your adventures as it will allow me to see the cruise from a different perspective while on her.

My sister and niece live in Baltimore. I have made many a road trip from Chicago there and visited many surrounding suburbs and towns. Its nice when I actually can picture where someone lives when they describe their backgrounds.

Happy packing and looking forward to sailing soon!

Barbara

Sounds like you two will have a wonderful trip. So glad to hear Lisa is recovering well and almost back to normal.

I also have 2 kids, also both rising juniors, same as yours. Lucky you that you're able to get away without them. As a single mom, I don't get to do that, mostly because I feel guilty going somewhere they love without them, and partly because they're both home over the summer.

We've sailed Freedom a number of times, she's our favorite ship. We had originally planned to sail this itinerary in August, but changed to Adventure out of our home port because it was easier on my mom (who travels with us). Now, of course, we ended up cancelling that as I needed a new roof (and mom goes in for hip replacement surgery this Wednesday).

Looking forward to your trip report.

Hello everyone.......

T-13 days and counting.

This past week was very hectic as last weekend started with buying Lisa a new car for her birthday present. :)

Actually her old car was coming off of lease and we had to get a new one. 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe, fully loaded.

The only thing I hate more than being in a dentist chair is going to a car dealership to purchase a new car. Even though I had already been in touch with the Sales Manager and selected the vehicle ahead of time, it still took three hours to walk out with the new car. (No offense to any car dealership employees reading this post.)

Unfortunately also this past week, we had two friends who lost family members so I had to attend one funeral and one viewing in the same day. Not very fun on a Monday. :-(

As the week went on, it got better. On Wednesday. Lisa went to the Doctor for her 4 week post surgery follow-up and received a clean bill of health and was released to travel with almost no restrictions. What a relief!!!

Now I can resume full planning mode after we get DS off to camp today.

However, I did complete our pre-cruise purchases which consisted of the Deluxe Drink Package and the St. John Beach and Snorkel and also the Maho Airplane Experience.

I have been going back and forth on the Deluxe Drink Package since I am really the only drinker of the two of us. Lisa enjoys a glass of wine with dinner and one or two drinks during the day but I can certainly put back several throughout the day. I figured we needed to have 8 drinks each day between the two of us in order to break even. (Bought the package at the 30% discount online)

I just hated to not get the DDP and have to see all the drinks tallied up on my folio at the end of the week.

Well, that's all of my update for now as I have to go get ready to take DS off to camp. A nice one hour drive into the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland not too far from Camp David for those of you familiar with the area.

aa3d30cec179ee9d50c59c93fcf6166e.heic

Here we are dropping off DS at camp today. He could not say goodbye fast enough to us so he could join his friends.

He never even said anything to us about our upcoming cruise vacation. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!!!!

Less than one week to go.

This past week was a very long one. It never fails that when you are going on a long-anticipated vacation you think time starts to stand still as you move closer to departure date. :')

Yesterday Lisa and I started the week before planning. Woo hoo....

Early in the morning we visited Old Navy and DSW shoes to pick up some summer clothing and shoes before the heat wave kicked in here in Baltimore.

Today will be our final grocery store run for the week. We don't anticipate a big shopping due to the fact that we are leaving on Friday.

Also completing our last loads of laundry before starting to pack. Suitcases to be taken out of the closet as well.

My week at work is a relatively short one as the Financial Markets close early Tuesday at 1:00PM which will be my unofficial start of vacation!!! It will begin with a Malibu and Diet Coke as soon as I get home from work.

Lisa returns to work tomorrow after being on Short-Term Disability from her surgery.

Wednesday we will celebrate our 25th Anniversary with a barbecue at a friends house.

Thursday will be spent at the gym for a workout and last minute running around preparations which include a haircut for me and pedicure for Lisa (I think she talked me into getting one too!!).

We will have lunch/dinner with a friend as well.

Friday will be our departure morning. For an 8:30 AM flight we normally leave for BWI airport at 6:00 AM. Our departure gate at BWI will determine if we stop for our morning coffee at Dunkin Donuts for the car ride or if we get it once inside the terminal. (Anyone who flies out of BWI using Southwest Airlines will know this answer.) :)

That's it for today's post. Expect a new update Tuesday or Wednesday. So excited for this trip!!!!

PS We had another pending deposit with RCCL that we had to use and we decided to go back on Allure Western exactly one year from today. We will be going with another couple who are close friends that we have been wanting to cruise with so we picked Allure. Even though it's the same cruise we did in 2016, this was the only date and ship that worked for the four of us. They have also been on Allure as well. Sometimes it's not where you go, it's who you go with that sells it for us. :)

Well...the preparation has begun...it’s great when your DD is away at college and you can use her bedroom as a staging/packing room!!!! [emoji2]

74bab3df83b952c6a2c02902ac70b31e.jpg

Starting the long process of getting ready to pack. Hubby is working a lot of OT this week so I am glad to be off. Sounds like you have a lot of great things going on to kick start your cruise week. Enjoy and look forward to meeting you both soon.

Barbara

Hi! We will be on the cruise with you! Love that you are documenting your pre-cruise experience!

My DH and I will be traveling with our four kids: DD (20), DS (17), DS (14), and DD (12). We are excited to share this cruise with the kids as this will be their first cruise. My husband and I have not been on one since our honeymoon almost 24 years ago. With one in college and one ready to graduate high school next year we decided it was time!

I’m glad to see that you need a staging area also! I just determined that we need to take an extra suitcase for all of the “stuff” we have to take! I’m glad to say that I am 98% done with packing and I am currently on autopilot trying to get through today and tomorrow.

We are heading to San Juan on Wednesday. Cannot wait! [emoji907]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! We will be on the cruise with you! Love that you are documenting your pre-cruise experience!

My DH and I will be traveling with our four kids: DD (20), DS (17), DS (14), and DD (12). We are excited to share this cruise with the kids as this will be their first cruise. My husband and I have not been on one since our honeymoon almost 24 years ago. With one in college and one ready to graduate high school next year we decided it was time!

I’m glad to see that you need a staging area also! I just determined that we need to take an extra suitcase for all of the “stuff” we have to take! I’m glad to say that I am 98% done with packing and I am currently on autopilot trying to get through today and tomorrow.

We are heading to San Juan on Wednesday. Cannot wait! [emoji907]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BalogMom:

I think you are a member of the FB Group for this cruise and your husband is as well. He and I have a mutual friend that we both know who now lives in California. :)

This will be our first 7 day cruise without our children as we have been cruising every two years or so with them.

Looking forward to getting to San Juan on Friday afternoon. Maybe we will get a break from the heat wave on the east coast. :cool:

Tuesday update....Vacation started for me this afternoon...since Anniversary is tomorrow, I stopped at Party City and got these for Lisa to come home to ...915e13b1da78f6f0fa134e0708b2e598.jpg

Three anniversary balloons for her. [emoji2]

Now I am chilling out watching World Cup and drinking Diet Coke and Captain Morgan in a large cup with the 2019 Super Bowl Champions logo on it!! [emoji2]

4ca0b966deaa4878ef34eb890666e1ba.jpg

More updates tomorrow.

Happy July 4th everyone!!!! [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Now I am chilling out watching World Cup and drinking Diet Coke and Captain Morgan in a large cup with the 2019 Super Bowl Champions logo on it!! emoji2.png

4ca0b966deaa4878ef34eb890666e1ba.jpgI respectfully disagree. WHO DAT!!!!!! Enjoying the thread. We leave on Allure this Sunday. Smooth sailings and Happy Anniversary!

Thursday update...

Last night we celebrated Independence Day and our 25th Anniversary with a cookout at a close friends house and the night concluded with a celebratory picture of Lisa and me.

7d440978e94db05615be31cd1878986a.jpg

Today began with a gym workout. Making sure that I am conditioned to be working out while on vacation so dragged my butt out of bed and was at the gym by 8:00AM.

We then went to Post Office to send DS a care package at camp.

Then it was off to meet a friend for brunch at 10:30.

After brunch, as part of our anniversary celebration Lisa and I both got pedicures and she also had a manicure. As one of our friends put it to us, I’m a new “metrosexual” [emoji2]

We got home around 2:00PM and chilled out for a bit and then it was time to pack.

The only packing left to do is carry-on bag and toiletries into suitcase.

a12f78a33bcf9904ef034bbfc501d98c.jpg

My suitcase is ready to go. [emoji2]

Now it’s time to have a bite to eat and chill before bed.

Alarm set for 5:00AM for a 6:00 AM departure to BWI.

That’s all for today.

Next update from BWI prior to boarding.

Cheers!!!

Hi everyone...

My name is Rob. I am from Baltimore, MD (Owings Mills to be exact) and I work as a Operations Director for a Wealth Management Practice affiliated with a large NY based Investment Management Bank. My DW, Lisa, is a Social Worker for one of the hospitals here in Baltimore.

We are taking this cruise to celebrate Lisa's 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary which occurs on July 4th.

We are the proud parents of two wonderful teenagers. Our DD, Allison, is a rising Junior at the University of South Florida and our DS, Jordan is a rising Junior in a private high school here in Baltimore.

This will be our first 7 day cruise that Lisa and I will be taking by ourselves without the children. Allison is currently taking summer classes at USF while we will take Jordan to camp next Sunday morning. We felt it was a great time for us to finally take a week for ourselves and visit the Southern Caribbean an itinerary that we had yet to cruise.

About one month ago, our vacation was put into jeopardy because Lisa had a health scare which required surgery and hospitalization and an extended recovery time of 4 to 6 weeks. Fortunately, she is almost back to normal and will return to work two days before we leave for our vacation. :-)

Ok enough of the background....

We are leaving on Friday, July 6th on an 8:30 AM Southwest flight from BWI to SJU. We will be staying at the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel in an Ocean View King Suite courtesy of Lisa's brother. (Thanks, Paul).

We should arrive at the Vanderbilt by about 2:00 PM on Friday and expect to be poolside by 3:00 PM.

We plan on having dinner somewhere in the Condado area of San Juan.

Between my OCD planning and vacation excitement, we never fly in the day of the cruise so we expect to have a nice day before the cruise in San Juan.

Saturday morning will be a lazy morning before heading over to the Pan American pier to board the Freedom.

As of right now, our only plans for excursions will be the St. John beach trip while in St. Thomas and Mahlo Beach while in St. Maarten. We do not have anything set for Aruba or Curacao as we just like to explore the downtown areas when making our first visits to new Ports of Call.

On board, we only have the Deluxe Drink package as of now. We will look for specialty restaurant deals once we are on the ship.

I hope to start posting updates as we get closer and once we are on our way.

Picture of our family:

ec8ec5c1c46e717af39cd88a91b505fe.jpg

I so looking forward to your review. I am also staying at the Vanderbilt. We are on the August 11 sailing and staying at the Vanderbilt the 9 and 10. Enjoy..