Cell phone use while in ports/ communication on ship

mommalee

Hello! I have 2 questions:

Can anyone tell me if cell phone reception is pretty good while the ships are in port?

And what do most people do to stay in touch with others on the ship while sailing and you can't text each other? I know my teens will be wandering off away from us :)

Thanks.

While in port, cell phone is solid. We visit Hawaii twice a year, most years, and our cell phones (AT&T) works just fine there.

The issue of on board communications should be researched on the board for the cruise line you are using. Some have various options for on board communications for free, or a very small cost. On the other hand, you need to have solid, face to face communication, planning and trust with your children. You really don't need 24/7 communication.

Thanks Cruiser Bruce. Did what you suggested and NCL has an app called iConcierge! For 9.99 per person, you can message other guests, group chat etc. and its available on the Pride of America. It uses their on board wireless network.

Just know that POA does not have a Cellular at Sea service, so you don't have to worry about getting exorbitant charges if you forget to turn your phone off at sea. You will always get your provider's service until out of range of any tower, and then no service at night between islands.