Duty Free Bottles on Discovery

Hi

We are about to take our first cruise Since Ocean Village in the mid noughties

We are sailing on Discovery (Baltic Explorer Aug 18th)

The jury is out on Premium AI for us as I’m a Rum guy & my wife is a Gin’er and the selection is basic and not high end.

My Questions are

1) Does anyone know what the range of bottles in the Duty Free Shop is like?

2) Can we take a supply of our favourite mixers/soft drinks on board or is this frowned upon?

Cheers.... U-Turn GS

You can take any drinks on board BUT only for drinking in your cabin not in any of the bars.

If you don't want the expense of upgrading to premium you can just pay the appropriate supplement per drink.

Duty Free shop will only be open if you are visiting any non-EU ports.

Hi

We have considered it but as I said the Jury’s still out for us... we like Gin & Rum and the upgrade selections aren’t brilliant, but if we could buy a decent bottle or two of each in the Broad Street Shop on board we’d be sorted👍

But can’t seem to get any idea of what they stock it’ll have to be a surprise 🤞🏼

Duty Free shop will only be open if you are visiting any non-EU ports.
Russia is on the itinerary and is not in the EU, so that's not an obstacle.

They had well known brands of Gin and Dark Rum any Thomsons cruise we've been on.

I bought a bottle of Captain Morgan's - the irony is that all stock is held in bonded warehouses a few miles from here.

Hi

We have considered it but as I said the Jury’s still out for us... we like Gin & Rum and the upgrade selections aren’t brilliant, but if we could buy a decent bottle or two of each in the Broad Street Shop on board we’d be sorted👍

But can’t seem to get any idea of what they stock it’ll have to be a surprise 🤞🏼

You will find, that the duty-free shop will sell you the bottles but they are delivered to your cabin at THE END of the cruise and not for consumption during the cruise. Same as if you brought bottles on from a port of call.

What Rum & Gin's are you after?

You will find, that the duty-free shop will sell you the bottles but they are delivered to your cabin at THE END of the cruise and not for consumption during the cruise. Same as if you brought bottles on from a port of call.

Since when ,they tried pulling that stunt very briefly a few years ago but ive not heard of it since ,what would be the point ,even if you drank it in the bars you would be saving them money by not drinking the free stuff

Sorry SausPud you are wrong - you can buy off ship and in the Broad Street shop and can take them back to your cabin on Thomson ships but cannot be drunk outside your cabin or balcony The shop often offers 2 bottles at a very discounted price also and some days there is 15% off so watch for the advert in your cruise news

Your cabin steward/ess will provide you with a bucket of ice on request

Thank you Vitalsign.

I haven't bought from the shops in years as the alcohol I like is only available in the USA and my Marella trips have been Europe.

So I will remember this for my cruise next year, but knowing my luck, they won't have Banana Bacardi in the shop.

The shop often offers 2 bottles at a very discounted price also and some days there is 15% off so watch for the advert in your cruise news
Somebody refresh my memory - that's usually the first (and last ?) full day onboard if I mind right ?

Catches out unaware punters who head into the duty free shop on the first night after sailing.

Not true. The bottle is handed to you there and then to take to your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can take any drinks on board BUT only for drinking in your cabin not in any of the bars.

:eek: WOW - this is good to know! Twenty years of cruising, first time with Marella for a three generations girls cruise, we have a lovely Grand suite (Mum is elderly never been on a cruise) -daughter flying in from overseas - and we are all getting together to take that trip (have to make it happen right). We chose no fly Marella for Mum's sake, but the more I read, the more appealing it is becoming.

So. No charge to take on board our favourite champagne for the cabin? I am so used to corkage if we want to bring any on. I have never ever been one to bring booze on the cruise, but if its free to bring on our bubbles for our cabin that is awesome?

Is that correct??

Many thanks!

:eek: WOW - this is good to know! Twenty years of cruising, first time with Marella for a three generations girls cruise, we have a lovely Grand suite (Mum is elderly never been on a cruise) -daughter flying in from overseas - and we are all getting together to take that trip (have to make it happen right). We chose no fly Marella for Mum's sake, but the more I read, the more appealing it is becoming.

So. No charge to take on board our favourite champagne for the cabin? I am so used to corkage if we want to bring any on. I have never ever been one to bring booze on the cruise, but if its free to bring on our bubbles for our cabin that is awesome?

Is that correct??

Many thanks!

Yes - we have taken Champagne on board and asked the cabin steward for some ice to chill it.

You will have a fridge in your suite, nothing like chilled champers on the balcony[emoji483] [emoji483] [emoji483] enjoy

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I Know :hearteyes: - lovely times to cherish - nearly lost my wee Mum earlier this year, got to just make life happen, we will treasure every minute of every day.

I never considered Marella - took a bit of hunting around - but hey, so far so good!!! TUI Marella has been so helpful so far -

Looking forward to the experience :)

• 2 weeks later...

On our Cuban Fusion cruise in March I was not impressed with the ships duty free prices re liquor. While it was policy to take it to your cabin,which is a good thing, the prices were the highest we ever encountered versus past cruises. You will pay more than what most items cost in the provincial liquor stores in Vancouver as an example. Wait till you go ashore in Havana eg, $5 downstairs in the cruise terminal for Havana Club. They had better realize when in the Caribbean you do not expect to pay European prices. Other than that we loved everything else about the ship,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Duty free on board are linked to uk prices less the duty so probably has no match to what you can buy in Canada

So as you've previously said it's probably better for you to buy duty free like us in the port duty free shops unless there is a special offer on in the ships duty free shop which they usually have once a week, which is advertised in the Cruise News