Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 26

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 25 and Sunday, July 1.

HALFWAY THROUGH THE YEAR! POST A PICTURE IF YOU HAVE BEEN PUTTING IT OFF!

;)

Rules:

This isn't a contest. All photos are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your prize and it's a good one!

Rules of composition. Are they really rules? Perhaps guidelines. Maybe just suggestions? Anyway, this week was the week after the party but the week of real birthdays. It included this little ice cream cake after a birthday dinner catered by Little Caesar's and Del Taco. It was dim in the room and a wide-open aperture wouldn’t get both the cake and Matthew in focus from the angle I wanted, so I chose the cake as the focal point. As did he. I got one with him in focus but liked this one better, cheesy smile and all. Tech comment warning: Shooting at 1/125s by candlelight in a dim room at twilight? Yes I could! It’s a great time to be a photographer!

Focal Point

p2950494568-5.jpg

Dave

Playing catch-up on photos from the past few weeks of weekly photo threads - this weekend I finally downloaded and sorted through shots from two prior weekends, the 23rd and 30th of June. Both weekends were overcast and rainy out in the wetlands, so most of my shooting was either in the rain, just after the rain, and during overcast skies.

This snowy egret was riding very low in the deeper water - standing on his stilt legs he just barely kept his body above the water, and the coiled neck waiting to spring on a passing fish:

original.jpg

A lovely bold red dragonfly in the overcast conditions:

original.jpg

Sitting under a pond apple tree in the shallow muds and waters, this juvenile wood duck was just beginning to develop some of the colors that will eventually make him one of the most ornate and colorful ducks in North America...but as a juvie, he's still mostly grey and brown:

original.jpg

The green heron is most commonly seen with a short stubby neck attaching the head to the body - but these herons have hidden telescoping necks, as seen here when this one craned out his neck to see over the tall grasses:

original.jpg

Here's another green heron, staring at me, in the typical compacted neck position. Seeing them like this, you might think they only have a 1-2" neck, and would never know it can extend out over a foot long:

original.jpg

You always take awesome photos. Amazing.

Pictures taken between Monday, June 25 and Sunday, July 1.

HALFWAY THROUGH THE YEAR! POST A PICTURE IF YOU HAVE BEEN PUTTING IT OFF!

;)

Rules:

This isn't a contest. All photos are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your prize and it's a good one!

Rules of composition. Are they really rules? Perhaps guidelines. Maybe just suggestions? Anyway, this week was the week after the party but the week of real birthdays. It included this little ice cream cake after a birthday dinner catered by Little Caesar's and Del Taco. It was dim in the room and a wide-open aperture wouldn’t get both the cake and Matthew in focus from the angle I wanted, so I chose the cake as the focal point. As did he. I got one with him in focus but liked this one better, cheesy smile and all. Tech comment warning: Shooting at 1/125s by candlelight in a dim room at twilight? Yes I could! It’s a great time to be a photographer!

Focal Point

p2950494568-5.jpg

Dave

Great picture.

Any guesses what this is?

42345866944_8bafbf5db9_b.jpg

Sorry for the delayed solution ...

28427471107_2fb3d7f4c4_b.jpg

This is the next step on the way to becoming Australian 10 Dollar notes.

During a tour of the Reserve Bank's museum in Sydney we were told/shown how the new polymer notes are made (from white granules through to printed sheets) and they explained all the different security features incorporated. Very interesting - unfortunately no free samples at the end :loudcry: