Copenhagen Cruise August 2018

Grabble

This is our third Disney cruise, and our fourth cruise overall. Our first Disney was one of the Caribbean cruises in 2003, second was a Mediterranean cruise in 2007. Both of those were on the Disney Wonder. Only the first was with the kids.

Anyone else going, or has anyone gone in the past? I'm looking for some advice on shore excursions.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Wonder had not done a Med cruise. The Magic has done the Med cruises during summers and the Wonder has done Alaska for many years. Still, I could be mistaken and it is possible that the Wonder went over once for a dry dock......In any event, both ships have had major refurbishment since your 2007 cruise.

You might check the "excursions" portion of these boards. You'll see excursions listed by port. The DCL web site has a similar feature. As to finding people who will be on the ship with you, you'll do better on the Roll Call section for your cruise and on social media sites. Many of the cruise groups have moved to social media as these sites are not censored by the travel agents who own some of the other sites.

Copenhagen is a very easy city on your own. I haven't done it from a cruise trip, but spent time there on a land vacation.

There are two cruises departing from Copenhagen on the Magic in August, one is a Baltic itinerary, and the other is a Norwegian and Icelandic itinerary. We do both of these last year, and they are just outstanding, some of the best from DCL. The highlight of any Baltic Cruise is St. Petersburg. There are many, many options, and you have only one (very long) day to visit St. Petersburg. We did a tour that included the Hermitage, which is a “must”, at least in my mind. We also visited the Church of the Spilled Blood and several other sights. Unless you have a Russian Tourist Visa, you pretty much need to book through DCL. You cannot get off the ship without this visa, unless on an organized tour. And the Russians can be the most impolite immigration officials!

If you are on the Norway/Iceland itinerary, Stavanger is a gateway to Norwegian Fjords, and we did the catamaran that goes up the Fjord, with great scenery and a stop for some tasty Norwegian pancakes. For Iceland, we did the Golden Circle around Reykjavik which was very long and worthwhile - just amazing landscapes unlike anywhere in the world. Both cruises included incredible ports with the opportunity for memorable excursions. I just skimmed the surface, and recommend you follow Moki’smommy’s advice on roll calls and excursions.

Incidentally, as Moki’smommy indicates Copenhagen is a great city. We spent a few days there prior to last year’s cruising. It was easy to catch the train out to Kronberg castle, and evenings in the New Harbor were wonderful. On a previous visit we enjoyed Tivoli Gardens, an amusement park that was an inspiration to Walt Disney. There is also a Disney Store in the main shopping district in town and we bought some cute Copenhagen-themed Disney tee shirts. They may not have those and the store is otherwise an ordinary Disney Store.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by STHCruising