Southampton vs Heathrow

wcsdkqh

I am booked on a Baltic cruise next summer (Stockholm to Southampton) The initial itinerary seems to imply return flight to US is out of Southampton (as opposed to Heathrow). Has anyone had a recent cruise that disembarks in Southampton? What airport does Regent use? SOU flights seem to be very limited. Either a 9am flight that would be impossible or a mid-afternoon flight that has a 13 hr layover in AMS. Anyone have experience with disembarking in Southampton?

I am booked on a Baltic cruise next summer (Stockholm to Southampton) The initial itinerary seems to imply return flight to US is out of Southampton (as opposed to Heathrow).

So, just what does the initial itinerary actually say? As opposed to what it may imply.

Otherwise, everything is a guess.

Southampton airport is a small regional airport serving other UK regional airports and business/holiday destinations across continental Europe:

https://www.southamptonairport.com/destinations/

https://www.southamptonairport.com/about-us/about-the-airport/

The likelihood is that Regent will arrange transportation by road from Southampton Docks to London Heathrow airport (journey time 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic) for your flight back to the USA.

The likelihood is that Regent will arrange transportation by road from Southampton Docks to London Heathrow airport (journey time 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic) for your flight back to the USA.

Of course, they could also fly from SOU to AMS or CDG or DUB or MAN or EDI or GLA, and then a non-stop to the USA. Especially if they have contracted seats available from those gateways, and a shortage of seats from LHR.

Again, unless the OP says what is on that itinerary, it's all speculation.

We disembarked in Southampton a couple of years ago and took the Regent airport shuttle to Heathrow. We did our own air but, most of the people on the bus were using Regent Air and departing from Heathrow. It too was a Baltic cruise as well, Stockholm to Southampton. Hope that helps.

That's what you get for thinking. You know nothing about what travels and what cruise lines I have cruised.

Don't feel bad. Have over 80 cruise segments under my belt on various lines and have posted about none of them. But some people think that you have to post your travels to establish your bona fides.

I prefer to let facts speak for themselves.

What it actually says under pricing detail for return flight is "Restricted Business Class Air - SOU to BHM $124.50". This is the additional charge because BHM is not a Regent Gateway.

To the best of my knowledge, that merely indicates that there is a supplemental charge in your overall travel from SOU to BHM. Says absolutely nothing about routings, flights, airlines, times or any other such matter.

In other words, you have not been given any flight details and everything is unknown - other than that they are getting you, somehow, from Southampton to Birmingham. (At least be glad that they have you going into BHM rather than BHX!!)

I am booked on a Baltic cruise next summer (Stockholm to Southampton) The initial itinerary seems to imply return flight to US is out of Southampton (as opposed to Heathrow). Has anyone had a recent cruise that disembarks in Southampton? What airport does Regent use? SOU flights seem to be very limited. Either a 9am flight that would be impossible or a mid-afternoon flight that has a 13 hr layover in AMS. Anyone have experience with disembarking in Southampton?

Never mind. I finally figured out the routing you are requesting. Call Regent for your questions.

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same question, and just found this thread. I had posted the question in TravelCats sticky first. My BusClass air charge on the booking invoice also says Air "SOU - YYC $174.50 (Cdn)" as YYC is not a gateway. But I see there are no flights out of SOU other than local connections to AMS, MAN, or DUB. Crazy routings. However we can fly direct from LHR to YYC on Air Canada, so I'm hoping that's what Regent will use. We definitely want to go out of LHR (as much as I detest that airport!). Our deviations don't open until Dec, so I'll watch for that, and make sure our Regent-savvy TA knows our preferences. Thanks to those of you who helped clarify this.