Dry Cleaning Issues

I thought I would try my luck here to see if any other Australians have had an issue like this and know what to do.

Back in 2012 I purchased a $660 suite to use only on cruises. It has been kept in excellent condition is made of delicate 100% wool Italian fabric and has always been sent to the same local dry cleaner and no other cleaner or even the ship has cleaned it. I have taken it on 8 cruises and in total got about 21 evening uses out of it. It has never had food spilt on it or needed extra cleaning. I wore it on my last cruise in January and immediately had it dry cleaned on return. I have always kept it in its case and near moisture absorbents in the cupboard.

After unpacking the suit last night to prepare for another cruise I noticed right on the back of the jacket that there were two small holes about the size of a 5c coin in the fabric and also another nail sized hole in the collar.

I am 100% certain that those holes were not on the jacket on my last cruise and am convinced the dry cleaner did it. I believe this because I recognise the damage from my time in the Navy. When I was in the Navy there was a time when some trousers needed pressing with creases in them. If you put too much heat and steam iron or press on the fabric it would tear like a razor had been along it. I got used to what the fabric would look like when damaged in this way. The way the fabric is around the hole on my suit matches exactly this type of damage.

Given that I had my suite dry cleaned in February and it is now July, has anyone got any similar experiences or know of what to do under Australian consumer laws?

I thought I would try my luck here in case other cruisers have had a similar experience because lets face it formal nights are part of the cruise experience and when I purchased a $660 suit, I expected it to last a good 10 years or more.

Any suggestion of how to approach the dry cleaner would be appreciated.

Agree with above. My first thought is moths too. And further, at over 5 months since it was given to you, without any other evidence, nobody is going to accept such a claim just based on your belief.

Also, at 6 years old, it's well worth considering a new one too. Fashions change over that time so even though not used so much, what you'd get now is likely different from what you chose back then.

My good wool coat which has never been to a dry cleaned or out of my hands after purchase ended up with a small hole in it by just hanging in the closet most likely due to moth damage.

Thus I learned the lesson of buying pure wool. Wool blends (not pure wool) or mothproofed wool are best to deter moths.

I now store my woolen scarfs in zip lock bags and don't get any holes in them.

Before starting any action to try to get some compensation make sure that it is not moth damage first.

Moths?????

They love Italian wool.:D

That is the dilemma I am facing. I am still 50/50. I know for a fact that I have damaged my own Navy uniform in such a manner using a steam press machine so I know first hand what that damage looks like. On the other hand when I search for moth damages suites on the internet the photos that come up are exactly the same.

At this stage I am considering taking it to a tailor to see if it can be repaired to some extent. I know fashion trends change but at this stage I am not ready to purchase a new suit.

I think that styles change more slowly for guys.

Now as a women I wouldn't wear a formal gown that was over five years old if it was trendy at the time it wouldn't be trendy any longer.

You could be amazed at what the tailors can do. They can always take some fabric from an inside seam so that the colour matches perfectly.

Best of luck with it.

If you go the repair route just check the suite bag when you get it home and perhaps duct tape up any little holes that moths can get through. :)

My first thought was moths, but in any case, even if it was the dry cleaner, too much time has passed by. I doubt you would get any satisfaction there. Try a tailor for their opinion, or perhaps you can just buy another jacket if the pants are still fine.

It's unlikely he would be able to get a fabric/colour match for a new jacket but, depending on the colour of the suit, getting a contrasting sports jacket to go with the pants would work.