Film cameras

Guest I am the Onion

Guest I am the Onion

Anyone ever bring a film camera ?

I have a Viewmaster camera I sometimes bring. When I get home I have the film developed, and I make my own reels.

I have 4 film cameras. One is a Nikon FTn. It is the same model of my first professional camera and it is part of a display in my home office. The other three are all older than I am and I am pretty old so no, I don't bring the on cruises. The weight alone says no.

I brought along my favorite film camera on a recent cruise... Boy, was I shocked to find out that they did not sell Kodak 126 cartridges on the ship.... Couldn’t even buy a Flipflash anywhere... #wth?

We leave them at home. Have thousands of dollars worth of film cameras (when new) and their accessories (telephoto lenses, extension tubes, microscope and telescope attachments, and even some old unused flash bulbs/cubes, etc.) from several 110/126 Brownie to a 35 Spotmatic. All gathering dust in old style camera carrying cases.

Joining them are now several early digital cameras that have become basically obsolete or quite working! Not even the grandkids want them.

Don't miss the messing around with film at all...

Guest I am the Onion
I brought along my favorite film camera on a recent cruise... Boy, was I shocked to find out that they did not sell Kodak 126 cartridges on the ship.... Couldn’t even buy a Flipflash anywhere... #wth?

LOL......Soon. I think someone is working on bringing 126 back, possibly limited. You can get newly manufactured 110 cartridges. Flipflash, well, you’d have to hit eBay. That’s where I bought a bunch of flashbulbs & adapter for the Viewmaster camera flash attachment.

I took my medium format gear to Alaska two years ago in hopes of capturing a great image. It was a bit heavy, but I thought worth the effort. The shutter broke in Denali so I spent the rest of the trip lugging a fairly heavy paperweight. Then I ran into the TSA agent from hell in Fairbanks. He spent 45 minutes examining, X-raying, bomb sniffing, and fondling everything. He left it all in a pile and then told me it was lucky I showed up early (4:30 am) or would have missed my flight. Then he began a lecture about carrying "dense" photo gear and told me to buy a digital camera. Neither he nor I was happy at the end of our encounter.

I would never admit that he may have had a point, but travelling with a competent digital camera is a lot less trouble...

Tom

Re-tired, that is when I call for a supervisor....TSA over the years loved to mess with my gear but that came to a halt when they started trying swab my 400 2.8 front element using a metal holder to hold the cloth swab......Just ask for a supervisor quickly as soon as they start and be careful you don't trip on their big floppy shoes.

Anyone ever bring a film camera ?

I have a Viewmaster camera I sometimes bring. When I get home I have the film developed, and I make my own reels.

Still have my Canon A1 and about 1/2 dozen lenses, but haven't used it in over 15 yrs.

I still have two functioning film cameras and a third whose stealthy shutter failure served up the 14 rolls of blank negatives that switched me to digital seventeen years ago. I kept a short to medium zoom when I blew out all my A-mount stuff earlier this year and I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of rolls of the new Ektachrome and showing my photographically inclined granddaughter what a complete PITA film was compared the digital and how lucky she is to be entering the world of photography now.

I credit my years with film for my knowledge of photographic basics and a tendency to think before I shoot but I don't miss it one tiny bit.

Dave

No longer use these camera on a cruise, film is getting tough to find,

c1.jpg

Say Cheese... One of my favorite camera.

c2.jpg

c3.jpgThat flash bulb cost me $5.00, it the size of a 60w light bulb.

2010 was my last year to use a film camera. I got a FF digital that year and carried a film body for another year and never took even one picture with it.

framer

Still use film now and then, getting it processed is getting harder and harder especially near where I live.

Normally one of my EOS’ so 8 can use the accessories from my digital.

Or for a long trip maybe my trusty old T-90 or A-1 a couple of FD lenses and load up with B&W film.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used film cameras on cruises many times. Though the last time was 1996.

Still have my Pentax ME Super, Canon EOS-IX, Konica T3, and Chinon CM3...all in working order. The first was one I was original owner of from 1977, the Canon was the last film camera I purchased in the early 90s, and the last two I bought used with a batch of lenses back in 2011 just to get at the lenses to use with my mirrorless cameras...so both of those I've never shot as film cameras. My last film shoot was roughly 2004-5 when I did some portfolio/modeling shots for a friend.