Whale of a time in Wellington

How amazing to be so close to the dock. This time last year we were watching the Southern right whales at Warrnambool where the cows come to have their calves at Logan's Beach. Didn't see any when we were there two weeks ago, although there were reports there was a cow in the bay later in the day after we had visited in the morning.

Leigh

The whale has won...:)

a fireworks display on the harbour to celebrate Matariki at the weekend has been cancelled .The whale has also caused some tricky manoeuvres for the Interisland ferries.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/105284011/whale-continues-to-star-in-wellington-but-fireworks-could-be-canned

Whale continues to star in Wellington, but won't get to see any fireworks

and further down the page..

What should the whale be called?

Didn't have any idea that they gave birth near Warrambool.

Can you see anything from shore?

sewgood, last July when we were visiting my parents in Warrnambool we spent a couple of hours each day at the Logan's Beach whale nursery lookout platform with cameras watching the cows and calves. You could certainly see them just past the breakers without the use of binoculars, particularly when they breach.

Leigh

sewgood, last July when we were visiting my parents in Warrnambool we spent a couple of hours each day at the Logan's Beach whale nursery lookout platform with cameras watching the cows and calves. You could certainly see them just past the breakers without the use of binoculars, particularly when they breach.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, I'm glad I know this now. I think it's a bit of a secret up here in NSW.

Looks like we will have to head down to Victoria next July.

Karryl

Karryl, the whales usually visit between June and October and it varies from year to year how many there are and when in that time frame. This year so far there doesn't seem to have been too many but at the same time last year there were quite a few. It's a beautiful area to visit with the Great Ocean Road close by.

Leigh

A couple of weeks ago there were some whales off Williamstown Beach.

I think they were just tourists having a swim.

Possibly Docker 123! Perhaps they were lost......

I've heard reports of a few sightings along the bay.

Leigh