Is it possible to sail up Ship Creek in Woop Woop?

Has anyone else recently been up Ship Creek in Woop Woop?

Looks like an interesting place to visit as I have seen ads on the TV for a family whose car and caravan is broken down up Ship Creek in Woop Woop. The family in the ad, called Ammi as I recall - good old Aussie name for sure, seemed quite taken by the area.

Not particularly fond on travelling in a caravan but if there were any cruises going there I would be most interested - can or do cruise ships go up Ship Creek?

Any advice from someone that has been there or knows of cruise lines visiting the area would be appreciated!

I believe I have been up Ship Creek a few times in my caravan;p

Havent been to WoopWoop but drive through "Woopie" all the time on the way to the "Goldie"

Please come visit my hometown of Wauchope......not to be confused with the make believe town of Whyhope of the Doctor Doctor series fame, although after visiting you may think my town was named after it:')

Wauchope, just a little further north of far Kew:')

Please come visit my hometown of Wauchope......not to be confused with the make believe town of Whyhope of the Doctor Doctor series fame, although after visiting you may think my town was named after it:')

It's not pronounced "Wow chopy" either, much to the disappointment of many, it's pronounced "War hope". Funny place Australia, particularly with place names, try saying Canowindra the correct way for example.

As for Ship Creek there's a good chance that many of us have been there, usually not by choice, some of us have found a paddle and many have not. Lets see how non locals figure out that statement eh?

It's not pronounced "Wow chopy" either, much to the disappointment of many, it's pronounced "War hope"

Thats correct, and there is another town called Wauchope in the NT, near the Devils Marbles, been there when we were towing the wobble box and they pronounce it War -cope......I think, anyway it was different.

Dont come up our way and tell us you are going to "Lake Cathy".... spelt Lake Cathie but pronounced Cat - eye

I am oringinally from Penriff......can you tell:halo:

You do not get a Boarding Pass for that ship you have to be able to play the Didgeredoo.

Looks like an interesting place to visit as I have seen ads on the TV for a family whose car and caravan is broken down up Ship Creek in Woop Woop. The family in the ad, called Ammi as I recall - good old Aussie name for sure, seemed quite taken by the area.

Not particularly fond on travelling in a caravan but if there were any cruises going there I would be most interested - can or do cruise ships go up Ship Creek?

Any advice from someone that has been there or knows of cruise lines visiting the area would be appreciated!

It's not pronounced "Wow chopy" either, much to the disappointment of many, it's pronounced "War hope". Funny place Australia, particularly with place names, try saying Canowindra the correct way for example.

Is it not the obvious? Ca-no-win-dra?

Then there are the NZ place names. Some of which have a (correct) Maori pronunciation but also a anglicised variant. My favourite is a tiny town in the lower part of the North Island on the main highway. Ohingaiti. Maori pronuciation is as it looks: o-hing-a-iti, but it was always known as oh-a-nighty for some odd reason.

Is it not the obvious? Ca-no-win-dra?

Then there are the NZ place names. Some of which have a (correct) Maori pronunciation but also a anglicised variant. My favourite is a tiny town in the lower part of the North Island on the main highway. Ohingaiti. Maori pronuciation is as it looks: o-hing-a-iti, but it was always known as oh-a-nighty for some odd reason.

Ca-noun-dra!

And for those of us who have been to Bay of Plenty, lets not write the phonetic spelling of Whakatane![emoji1]

Cheers

I believe I have been up Ship Creek a few times in my caravan;p

Havent been to WoopWoop but drive through "Woopie" all the time on the way to the "Goldie"

Woopi is actually the nickname of Woolgoolga which could not use Wooly as an alias because the town of Wooli is only about 30km up the road!

BTW it has now been bypassed and the elephant have been move off the main drag!

Cheers

Ship Creek is an actual place in QLD but ironically sits inland about 400km west of Bundaberg.

Woop Woop does not officially exist, but if it did you can bet that Ship Creek is indeed nearby!

Cheers

Woopi is actually the nickname of Woolgoolga which could not use Wooly as an alias because the town of Wooli is only about 30km up the road!

BTW it has now been bypassed and the elephant have been move off the main drag!

Cheers

I know I bypassed it a couple of weeks ago, we now bypass Macksville.

I have lived up here for 25 years........everything is bypassed now, a very boring but safer drive up the coast.

Ship Creek is an actual place in QLD but ironically sits inland about 400km west of Bundaberg.

Woop Woop does not officially exist, but if it did you can bet that Ship Creek is indeed nearby!

Cheers

What, are you saying the ad I am seeing on TV is not actually factual?

What a letdown, what a disappointment, it's enough to make me want to drive down to Inaloo and seek out the attached pub for a stiff drink or two.

Theres also a ship creek in NZ . It is in South Westland , just up from Milford Sound, and its name originates from a the debris of a ship wreck in Australia,

http://www.fourcorners.co.nz/new-zealand/detail/index.cfm/2011/12/ship-creek/

The name `Ship Creek’ has its origins in 1871 when a large fragment of a ship (of unusual wood construction never seen before in New Zealand) was discovered at the mouth of Tauperikaka Creek. Those days South Westland represented one of the world’s truly isolated places – and still does. Fragments of a ship were again found four years later. When pieced together, the wreckage suggested the bows of a stylish sailing ship.

Additional hull pieces were seen in 1920. Then, in 1973, the remaining wreckage of the ship was found by divers – off the south-western coast of Victoria, Australia.

The ship was identified (and confirmed by shipbuilders in Aberdeen Scotland) as Schomberg of the Black Ball line, wrecked on December 26, 1855 near the end of its maiden voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne. It was an unspectacular wreck, on the southern tip of Australia, from which over 300 passengers stepped safely ashore.

More remarkable was that fragments of the ship were able to drift 2000 kilometres and wash up on a desolate New Zealand beach.

Ca-noun-dra!

And for those of us who have been to Bay of Plenty, lets not write the phonetic spelling of Whakatane![emoji1]

Cheers

Ca-noun-dra! That's as unguessable as some of the British placenames. Porthmadog in Wales is pronounced port-mad-dock.

Ah, yes, dear old Whakatane. I used to ski at one of the Mt Ruapehiu skifields - Whakapapa.

Theres also a ship creek in NZ . It is in South Westland , just up from Milford Sound, and its name originates from a the debris of a ship wreck in Australia,

http://www.fourcorners.co.nz/new-zealand/detail/index.cfm/2011/12/ship-creek/

The name `Ship Creek’ has its origins in 1871 when a large fragment of a ship (of unusual wood construction never seen before in New Zealand) was discovered at the mouth of Tauperikaka Creek. Those days South Westland represented one of the world’s truly isolated places – and still does. Fragments of a ship were again found four years later. When pieced together, the wreckage suggested the bows of a stylish sailing ship.

Additional hull pieces were seen in 1920. Then, in 1973, the remaining wreckage of the ship was found by divers – off the south-western coast of Victoria, Australia.

The ship was identified (and confirmed by shipbuilders in Aberdeen Scotland) as Schomberg of the Black Ball line, wrecked on December 26, 1855 near the end of its maiden voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne. It was an unspectacular wreck, on the southern tip of Australia, from which over 300 passengers stepped safely ashore.

More remarkable was that fragments of the ship were able to drift 2000 kilometres and wash up on a desolate New Zealand beach.

Thanks David for the information about parts of the Schomberg wreckage being washed up on NZ beaches. As I grew up in south west Victoria I knew about the Schomberg and in fact one of the houses at my high school was named after it. We visited Peterborough recently which is close to where the Schomberg was stranded on a sandbank and the passengers were rescued. There is a monument in the carpark at Peterborough beach to the Schomberg and two other ships wrecked close by. The area is known as the Shipwreck Coast.

There is a story that the captain was entertaining a young lady in his cabin when the ship ran aground. It was the Schomberg;s maiden voyage.

Leigh

What a letdown, what a disappointment, it's enough to make me want to drive down to Inaloo and seek out the attached pub for a stiff drink or two.

Or you could try dunedoo in NSW if Inaloo dosn't do it for you;)

cya

I work in Canowindra and very quickly learnt to pronounce it correctly when we moved here 3½ years ago.

Whakapapa always sounds incestuous to me. :eek:

I think that Ship Creek is only navigable by canoe; usually one constructed of barbed wire. :')

I know I bypassed it a couple of weeks ago, we now bypass Macksville.

I have lived up here for 25 years........everything is bypassed now, a very boring but safer drive up the coast.

Yes I understand they opened the last stretch of dual carriageway last weekend. My brother and family live in Woopi! Nice piece of the world![emoji482]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not at all - I am saying that Ship Creek is right there near Woop Woop. Just answering the original question - you can't sail there! Sorry[emoji924] [emoji481]

Ca-noun-dra! That's as unguessable as some of the British placenames. Porthmadog in Wales is pronounced port-mad-dock.

Ah, yes, dear old Whakatane. I used to ski at one of the Mt Ruapehiu skifields - Whakapapa.

Whakapapa LOL