Advice needed for ports in - Singapore - Malaysia - Vietnam - Thailand - Cambodia

BABBY

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is in the area on the following ports and if places of interest are near to one another- Also we are looking at whether we can DIY on any, if things of interest quite near.

SINGAPORE - REALLY FANCY GOING TO THE MARINA BAY HOTEL, RAFFLES - ORCHARD ROAD - ??

LANGKAWI - PENANG - PORT KLANG (KULA LUMPER)- MALLACCA - ALL IN MALAYSIA

KOH SAMUI - LAEM CHABANG (FOR BANGKOK) - THAILAND

SIHANOUKVILLE (CAMBODIA)

PHU MY (HO CHI MING CITY) VIETNAM

Thank you in advance :)

We will be in Langkawi and Port Klang (KL) ***** our Cruise. Am researching day shore excursions. Looks like a lot in Langkawi. I've heard that Port Klang is not so close to KL. Would like to go to Malaca. Trying to see if it can be done in 1 day.

There is a website called whatsinport.com It tells you where the Port is and what is nearby.

Singapore (just spent a week there) is easy to do DIY. Taxis ate incredibly inexpensive and the MRT is efficient and cleaner than som hospitals.

You can visit the MBS but you cannot access the pool deck - limited to hotel guest. There is an observatory for a fee.

I would recommend the Lantern Bar on top of The Fullerton by the Bay with a view on the MBS.

Chinatown is great. Have some food at one of the omnipresent food centers.

You can go to the Raffles and have an expensive Singapore Sling. As of now parts of it are closed for renovation. The Long Bar, too.

If you are staying in Singapore I can highly recommend the Andaz Hotel. One of the nicest hotels we ever stayed at. And we have stayed at the MBS before...

I'm in Singapore now. Agree MRT is very easy and convenient, the cruise center is very near the southern start point of North South Line, which can take you to your POI's Marina Bay Sands, Raffles and Orchard Road. You might want to consider a visit to the iconic Singapore Merlion, but it's further away, via HarbourFront to Sentosa (the island location of the Trump/Kim summit). Clark Quay is a popular tourist area (though maybe more exciting at night). Bugis Street is a fun place to browse for inexpensive souvenirs. Newton Circus/Food Centre is one of the more famous hawker centers.

The Tourist Pass would be very handy (like hop on/hop off without the view since MRT is mostly underground), but only sold at particular locations (not Marina South Pier, though you can get your rental refund there), see this link for more info:

http://thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg

Uber and Grab are also available in addition to taxis.

You might already know, but it is almost always hot and very humid here, so walking any distance outside can become very taxing quickly if you are not used to this heat and humidity.

• 2 weeks later...

For Bangkok, fix up a tour or private transfers in good time - it's about 2 hours from L/C, there's no public transport, and the cartel that runs the taxis available in the port know that they can royally screw those who have no choice.

And if your ship overnites in port consider a Bangkok hotel - avoids duplicating that long drive and gives you an evening in the city.

Phu My is closer to Saigon, but the same may apply.

Sihanoukville you should find DIY in the port and just outside the gates - tuk-tuks for town, vans for a tour into the hinterland including a waterfall, Ream Nat Park, a seriously grubby but interesting fishing village and more. Agree a price before you board, pay at the end (USD) - it's the norm.

Unlike the tiger economies of the rest of SE Asia, which is rapidly industrialising and westernising, Cambodia is stuck in the 1800's. A real education, though there'll be those on your ship who won't want to open their eyes & instead will stay on the ship.

JB :)

... the cruise center is very near the southern start point of North South Line...

Be careful there are two cruise terminals in Singapore, the older one at Harbour Front across from Sentosa Island and the newer one (for larger cruise ships) at Marina Bay

We booked breakfast at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and it was an amazing experience and not to expensive. It was in a restaurant at the top of the building on the same level as the pool and it had a stupendous view of the harbour and the city. Well worth booking if you want a treat.

All the countries you are visiting I have lived in or visited several times, having been in SE Asia now for 20 years. Here is my reply to your request about the following places:

SINGAPORE- REALLY FANCY GOING TO THE MARINA BAY HOTEL, RAFFLES - ORCHARD ROAD

Allthese things are easy to do from the cruise terminal, if at HarbourFront you have a direct MRT Stop at the terminal, plus taxis whichare very reasonable in price. The main Cruise Terminal is Marina Bay,the MRT is close but not at the terminal, again many taxis here. Allthe places you want to visit are within 2 Km of the port. Singaporeis my favorite port on your trip, it has everything. Great shoppingHigh End Orchard Road, great low cost deals in Chinatown. You havethe hop on off buses, Singapore Flyer, Singapore Zoo, and about 200more great things to do.

LANGKAWI- PENANG - PORT KLANG (KULA LUMPER)- MALLACCA - ALL IN MALAYSIA

Allare direct to the dock ports. Langkawi & Penang the cruise portis within the city, you can walk to many things off the ship. Avery nice resort is located at the pier complete with a beach inLangkawi. From Kula Lumper the port is some distance from the city,you really need to take a taxi or tour. Yes they do have bus servicebut you will not want to waste the extra time.

KOHSAMUI - LAEM CHABANG (FOR BANGKOK) - THAILAND

Koh Samui is a small island located on the western side of the bay. It has complete service, great beaches, shopping and nice food. You can also rent small boats to take a tour and swim.... I would say do not rent or use Jet Skis anywhere in Thailand. The operators are involve in scams, when you return they will claim thousands of days indamages, and you have no choice but to pay. The police will not help as they are in on these scams, your choice is to pay or be arrested,which means you will not return to the ship.

Laem Chabang is the port for Bangkok but it is not in Bangkok, it is about 1 hours drive without traffic, and could be 3 hours with traffic.Your options to go to Bangkok are a ships tour, taxi, or bus, the bus station is about 2 kms away from the port. The port is much closer to Pattaya, about 30 minutes to the south. Pattaya is a beach resort city with many things to do within the area. Just south of Pattaya is Johiem Beach another resort city. Pattaya has private boats and a ferry to the Island which is 30 minutes off shore, very nice place to spend the day. Pattaya is also know for its nightlife and areas of the city become adult zones at night. In Bangkok many things to do,the Grand Palace is a highlight most people like. If you go here or to any of the temples you are require to wear proper dress, no tank tops, shoulders covered, strapless tops, swimwear, shorts, etc. Do not use the tuk tuk (3 wheel taxis) in Bangkok, many have had problems, they take passengers to shops giving them kickbacks and change the fare rates. One last thing about Thailand, do not talk about the Royal Family in any negative way, nothing can be said against them. If you do 100%sure you will be arrested and charged, with jail time to follow. The King is never wrong and can never be questioned

SIHANOUKVILLE(CAMBODIA)

Small beachfront town in Cambodia, the beaches look nice but the last time I visited they had sand fleas, which bite and cause many issues. Some shopping and local stuff to do here, the food is very good and the seafood fresh.

The port for Ho Chi Ming City, first they have no cruise terminal here.Cruise ships use the cargo port, you will get off the ship and then bused to the front gate of the port. You cannot walk you must take a transit bus or a ships tour. Once at the gate you will find nothing just a road. It is at least 3 to 4 kms to anything, and you really should not walk on the road, many trucks moving along the road. Ho Chi Ming City is about one hour away without traffic, 1 ½ to 2 ½hours with traffic. This is a port you need to book some transportation from. At least to the post city area about 5 kms away. I used private tour companies here the cost for a full day tour was US$60.00 per person (10 people max) , including drinks and lunch.This was a good choice.

Hi

Can anyone tell me what is in the area on the following ports and if places of interest are near to one another- Also we are looking at whether we can DIY on any, if things of interest quite near.

SINGAPORE - REALLY FANCY GOING TO THE MARINA BAY HOTEL, RAFFLES - ORCHARD ROAD - ??

LANGKAWI - PENANG - PORT KLANG (KULA LUMPER)- MALLACCA - ALL IN MALAYSIA

KOH SAMUI - LAEM CHABANG (FOR BANGKOK) - THAILAND

SIHANOUKVILLE (CAMBODIA)

Thank you in advance :)

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post so far, very informative. (y)