Please Keep Your Dishes Inside

We just returned from a wonderful family cruise on Adventure of the Seas. Maybe I am getting old (aren't we all) but I really noticed something on this cruise that caused me some minor irritation. It seemed that there were a lot of people ordering room service and then putting the dirty, sometimes only half eaten orders, on the floor outside their rooms. I would see these remain there for most of the day, or night. Other people, perhaps not noticing them, would "kick" them and food would be on the carpets.

It would seem that if people simply left the dishes on the table/desk in their state rooms, their cabin attendant would remove them when he came in to clean the room. RCCL appears to have cut back on staffing, so placing items in the hall just makes more work for the remaining staff, and damages the "ambiance" of being on the ship.

Please just keep the dishes in the room and they will be removed, perhaps even quicker than leaving them in the hall.

Glad to see some similarities between the forums as this is a topic of debate on the NCL board and CCL board also. :D I'll say here what I've said there- I ask the delivery person what to do with the dishes when I'm done and that's what I do with them. On the other lines I was told to put them in the hall. I've also been told the same in hotels. So if I use room service on Royal (which is not likely, although it is possible) I will do what the delivery person tells me to do.

Glad to see some similarities between the forums as this is a topic of debate on the NCL board and CCL board also. :D I'll say here what I've said there- I ask the delivery person what to do with the dishes when I'm done and that's what I do with them. On the other lines I was told to put them in the hall. I've also been told the same in hotels. So if I use room service on Royal (which is not likely, although it is possible) I will do what the delivery person tells me to do.

That's a good course of action, I think folks see others putting in the hallway and they think that's what is supposed to happen. Damn Gross!

I hate seeing this too. I don't think I would be able to bring myself to put dirties on the floor outside my room even if the delivery person told me that was what I was supposed to do with them! :eek:

Agreed. If the OP has an issue with anyone, perhaps it should be the RCL staff.

That's what you're supposed to do.

I worked in culinary at a London, UK hotel. Our runners always advised guests to put it in the hallway when done.

I've never seen people accidentally kick plates unless they're very drunk or being obnoxious.

What I don’t understand is why dishes are still on the floor after the stewards have made up the rooms. Why can’t they remove them to a utility room until room and have room service gather them from there. It’s kind of like they have the attitude of “it’s not my job”

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. People put trays in the hall because that is what they are told to do. What drives me crazy is why they sit for many hours! I’ve seen this on cruises and in many upscale hotels. Can’t understand it. To me it is ugly bordering on disgusting and why I rarely order room service. If I do I leave the tray in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I don’t understand is why dishes are still on the floor after the stewards have made up the rooms. Why can’t they remove them to a utility room until room and have room service gather them from there. It’s kind of like they have the attitude of “it’s not my job”

Not to put too fine of a point on it but it's not their job, it's food service's job. The stewards don't have the room to store all those dishes (the utility rooms they have are tiny and packed full of the stuff they need to do their job) and certainly don't have the time to take them anywhere.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. People put trays in the hall because that is what they are told to do. What drives me crazy is why they sit for many hours! I’ve seen this on cruises and in many upscale hotels. Can’t understand it. To me it is ugly bordering on disgusting and why I rarely order room service. If I do I leave the tray in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then your peeve is with the cruise line, not your fellow passengers. The cruise line certainly should be policing the hallways frequently enough to prevent this. (And if you do leave the tray in the room you are just creating more work for your steward.)

we have been told to just ring RS again and they will send someone to fetch the plates

That's what you're supposed to do.

I worked in culinary at a London, UK hotel. Our runners always advised guests to put it in the hallway when done.

I've never seen people accidentally kick plates unless they're very drunk or being obnoxious.

I am rarely drunk, like to think I am never obnoxious, and I have kicked plates in the middle of the day. I am unsteady on my feet on the best of days , adding a swaying ship just adds to the fun. when you literally have had a dozen plates plus all the assorted cutlery and whatnot that goes with it,. it is not difficult to imagine the floor space is packed. and when it is on both sides of the hallway: ECVs cannot get through.

I hate seeing this too. I don't think I would be able to bring myself to put dirties on the floor outside my room even if the delivery person told me that was what I was supposed to do with them! :eek:
Put them in front of someone else's room.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not to put too fine of a point on it but it's not their job, it's food service's job. The stewards don't have the room to store all those dishes (the utility rooms they have are tiny and packed full of the stuff they need to do their job) and certainly don't have the time to take them anywhere.

Actually, on Oasis class, there is a room just for the dirty dishes/trays. I saw a worker that was hauling the dirty dishes and trays out of that room so they could power wash the room. There were several racks lining the walls where the trays could be slid in.

Hallways in most hotels are wider than those on ships.

Dishes and trays from room service are easily picked up from your stateroom by a simple call to room service.

If you leave them in your room for your room steward put a few dollars on the tray for the extra work.

AND don't try to be a wise Azz and put them in front of someone else's stateroom door. This happened to us twice on our first and last NCL cruise. We reported it to room service and it stopped????

bosco

When you are finished eating, take the dirty dishes and trays up to the pool deck and place them on a chair that was obviously being "saved" by a chair hog. The people that saved the chair will appreciate having something to eat, if they ever return to their "saved" chairs.

Then your peeve is with the cruise line, not your fellow passengers. The cruise line certainly should be policing the hallways frequently enough to prevent this. (And if you do leave the tray in the room you are just creating more work for your steward.)

Yep, I think I acknowledged the cruise lines or hotels responsibility but I guess it wasn’t clear enough for some. If I’m making more work for the steward I’m sorry but I WILL NOT leave my garbage on the floor.

Cabin staff are not responsible for the dishes. The instructions are to put them outside your doorway. I know and agree, it is a lousy policy. There is "supposed" to be a team that prowl the hallways and pick them up. I think they are the same folks that never let anyone save deck chairs by the pool.