Regent Seven Seas Explorer London to Copenhagen

We have taken 3 different cruises with Regent. The past two were very memorable, as was this one until the final day on board. We arrived in Copenhagen at around 8 AM in the morning. The normally smiling, friendly staff had a noticeable change in their demeanor. No smiles, no "good morning". no "is there anything I can do to help you", It was very clear that we were the "old cruise people" and new people were coming on board so pretty much "Get Off!".

The bad vibes continued.

We were spending one day at a hotel in Copenhagen, arranged for by Regent. The bus took us to the hotel entrance, where we were dumped off in a small lobby where 300 hundred people going to the ship were checking out and 300 hundred of us coming off the boat were checking in. These numbers were the hotels estimates not mine. The lobby was a mad house, The Regent representatives that were stationed at the hotel were giving out conflicting information on how to check in or, temporarily check your baggage for later room assignment. After 30 minutes, we finally were able to give our bags to someone and headed off into to town, hoping our bags would be retrievable when we finally were able to check in. When we did return our bags were in three different locations in the hotel. Thankfully one of the bell attendants was nice enough to assist with tracking them down

This whole last day process turned what had been an enjoyable cruise into a complete nightmare.

We have since decided it is time to try a different cruise line. Hello Viking!

The above describes my principal reason for never taking Regent's land arrangements...pre- or post-cruise. Plus I can usually arrange my own hotel and limo transport for less - far less in many cases - than they charge AND they credit me for "non use" of the pre-cruise hotel night as well!

That said - the attitude of staff members as reported on disembarkation morning is NOT acceptable

I agree with Hambagahle. We never take Regent's land programs. Prior to the May 6th Alaska cruise on the Mariner Regent used the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco for the 1-night pre cruise hotel. We took the hotel credit and stayed elsewhere. We learned from many

passengers that the hotel had overbooked rooms and they had no rooms for many Regent guests. Many of the people we met were

quite angered over this. The experience was really bad. In most cases the hotels that Regent use don't appeal to me. We have opted to take the hotel credit at The Hilton Hotel in Tokyo ( post 3 night stay) and make our own arrangements.

We are also using the Regent hotels less and less for the reasons mentioned by the TS. It is important to note that the "Regent representatives" are contractors and work for Regent one day and another cruise line the next, This should not be an excuse but they are generally not up to speed with most Regent policies.

On our last Regent cruise (April, 2018), we checked into a pre-cruise hotel (that was part of a 3 night pre-cruise stay in Bali) that was the most amazing hotel that we ever stayed at. The people were warm and welcoming but still had a lot of Regent passengers to check in. We were given a cold drink and cold washcloths but still have to wait quite a while to check in ....... after very long flights to Bali. We did have the good sense to take our own transportation to the ship rather than getting involved with a hoard of Regent passengers on the bus.

I'm now in the process of changing our Santiago, Chile hotel (Ritz Carlton) to the Mandarin Oriental. We will receive a $300 hotel credit from Regent and will spent $325 (approximately) for an upgraded room with access to the Club Lounge on the 16th floor). We are looking forward to avoiding the crowds and do have private transportation to the ship.

I agree totally with Travelcat. We used Regent a year ago to go to Europe. The hotel was fine about letting us check in as my husband extended a gratuity to the desk clerk, but we were absolutely dumbfounded to find out that we were to check out early and wait for the bus to the ship at about 1:00. We finally went to the surly Regent hospitality desk to make sure our luggage would be delivered and took a very expensive taxi to the ship. Much better to check in before the long line of bus passengers all arriving at the same time.

For us, we want to travel in luxury and style and make the necessary adjustments to afford this. All of the "included" items may not be worth their weight in gold.

Interesting, and totally different from our recent experience on Voyager. Pick up in Nice and transport to the Fairmont in Monte Carlo was quick and seamless. Our room was ready and the hotel was lovely. We took a taxi to the ship the next day to avoid the 'crowd'. Upon disembarkation in Barcelona, the transport to (another) Fairmont was again quick. Regent reps in the lobby were extraordinarily helpful. Our 2 day later morning flight required an early departure and Regent had a big beautiful MB waiting for us at 7am. I also remember a long ago cruise starting in Istanbul. We booked the Fours Seasons ourselves at half the cost of the Regent offer.

I agree, we never take the Regent Hotel / Transfer package. We can do it better for less and be on our schedule and meet our needs without the crowd.

I disagree about someone saying:

"It is important to note that the "Regent representatives" are contractors and work for Regent one day and another cruise line the next, This should not be an excuse but they are generally not up to speed with most Regent policies."

They may be ContractorsRepresentatives of Regent--but you pay Regent for Excellent Service and you should get Excellent Service from whoever Regent hires. Remember you didn't hire them, Regent did and Regent is responsible for that service period.

I'm now in the process of changing our Santiago, Chile hotel (Ritz Carlton) to the Mandarin Oriental. We will receive a $300 hotel credit from Regent and will spent $325 (approximately) for an upgraded room with access to the Club Lounge on the 16th floor). We are looking forward to avoiding the crowds and do have private transportation to the ship.

TC,

We are on the same cruise but are arriving in Santiago three days prior to the cruise. We decided to stay at the Ritz Carlton using the Regent three-day package. I've never taken a Regent hotel package before but, with the Titanium discount, the package price was less than we would pay if we booked the same room independently and includes more. We will also get a Regent transfer from the airport to the hotel (probably virtually private since we arrive before the bulk of the passengers) and a private Titanium transfer from the hotel to the pier.

You may get lucky because you were booked into the Ritz Carlton originally but according to the FAQ posted by Jason O'Keefe (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56363091&postcount=16http://) the Titanium private transfer to the ship will not be available for you because the pier is more than 50 miles from Santiago.

I agree, we never take the Regent Hotel / Transfer package. We can do it better for less and be on our schedule and meet our needs without the crowd..

We totally agree for all of the reasons mentioned. Once or twice was enough.

TC,

We are on the same cruise but are arriving in Santiago three days prior to the cruise. We decided to stay at the Ritz Carlton using the Regent three-day package. I've never taken a Regent hotel package before but, with the Titanium discount, the package price was less than we would pay if we booked the same room independently and includes more. We will also get a Regent transfer from the airport to the hotel (probably virtually private since we arrive before the bulk of the passengers) and a private Titanium transfer from the hotel to the pier.

You may get lucky because you were booked into the Ritz Carlton originally but according to the FAQ posted by Jason O'Keefe (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56363091&postcount=16http://) the Titanium private transfer to the ship will not be available for you because the pier is more than 50 miles from Santiago.

Hi Dave - thanks for the information. We know another Titanium couple that will be on our cruise and both of us have it written in our Regent invoice sthat we have private transportation from the hotel to the port. Perhaps the 50 miles has to do with limits of how far you live in order to be picked up at home and how far you can be dropped off after the cruise if you are not going to the airport. Still learning how this works.

Regent hotels are way overpriced as well. Very easy to make your own arrangements.

No excuse for staff surly behavior on the last day. We have always had staff greet us to say a warm good bye and their best wishes and hope to see us again.

Hi Dave - thanks for the information. We know another Titanium couple that will be on our cruise and both of us have it written in our Regent invoice sthat we have private transportation from the hotel to the port. Perhaps the 50 miles has to do with limits of how far you live in order to be picked up at home and how far you can be dropped off after the cruise if you are not going to the airport. Still learning how this works.

Hi Jackie,

You should read the pertinent FAQ posted by Jason O'Keefe that I linked to. Here is the relevant language from the FAQ:

"The transfers are private car transfers when it is "to and from home" if you live within a 50 mile radius of the pier. If you don't live within 50 miles, private car transfers from airport to pier and from pier to airport areprovided. Transfers between the ship and airport are available worldwide for embarkation and disembarkation.

"The benefit is available one time on each end of your voyage, for a maximum of two private car transfers per sailing. If your reservation includes a Pre- or Post-Cruise Hotel or Land program booked through Regent Seven Seas Cruises, you may choose which transfer is upgraded to a private service; either the airport to hotel or hotel to ship. Guests booking independent hotel arrangements are eligible for private transfer benefit on embarkation and debarkation day only, and is limited to a 50 mile radius from the pier." (Emphasis added.)

So, the 50 mile limit applies twice. Once for home to pier transfers and once for hotel to ship transfers when a non-Regent hotel is booked. If a Regent hotel or land program has been booked, the 50 mile limit is waived.

It appears that your invoice shows a private transfer between Santiago and the pier in San Antonio because you are or were booked in the Ritz Carlton (the Regent designated hotel). In that case, the 50 mile limit would not apply according to the FAQ.

The 50 mile limit (San Antonio pier is more than 50 miles from Santiago) would technically apply if you book an independent hotel. Regent would have the right to remove the private transfer and issue a revised invoice. Of course, they may leave the transfer in place as a goodwill gesture.

Hi Jackie,

You should read the pertinent FAQ posted by Jason O'Keefe that I linked to. Here is the relevant language from the FAQ:

"The transfers are private car transfers when it is "to and from home" if you live within a 50 mile radius of the pier. If you don't live within 50 miles, private car transfers from airport to pier and from pier to airport areprovided. Transfers between the ship and airport are available worldwide for embarkation and disembarkation.

"The benefit is available one time on each end of your voyage, for a maximum of two private car transfers per sailing. If your reservation includes a Pre- or Post-Cruise Hotel or Land program booked through Regent Seven Seas Cruises, you may choose which transfer is upgraded to a private service; either the airport to hotel or hotel to ship. Guests booking independent hotel arrangements are eligible for private transfer benefit on embarkation and debarkation day only, and is limited to a 50 mile radius from the pier." (Emphasis added.)

So, the 50 mile limit applies twice. Once for home to pier transfers and once for hotel to ship transfers when a non-Regent hotel is booked. If a Regent hotel or land program has been booked, the 50 mile limit is waived.

It appears that your invoice shows a private transfer between Santiago and the pier in San Antonio because you are or were booked in the Ritz Carlton (the Regent designated hotel). In that case, the 50 mile limit would not apply according to the FAQ.

The 50 mile limit (San Antonio pier is more than 50 miles from Santiago) would technically apply if you book an independent hotel. Regent would have the right to remove the private transfer and issue a revised invoice. Of course, they may leave the transfer in place as a goodwill gesture.

Dave - once again, your information is very helpful. Although I indicated that I changed to another hotel, I was awaiting a response from the Mandarin Oriental which I did not receive until today. Based on your post, we will not be changing hotels as the private transfer is more important to us than staying in a different hotel. Thank you so much!

Jackie

I just love CC.:D:D:D Thank you Dave and TC for some very valuable information. We are doing Tokyo-Vancouver next April and will be Titanium by then. We are considering using our Hyatt points at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, and it would be great if we were to get a private transfer to the ship. It is within 50 miles. Would I have to contact Regent after our cruise coming up when we become Titanium? Or will they do it automatically?

Terri

I just love CC.:D:D:D Thank you Dave and TC for some very valuable information. We are doing Tokyo-Vancouver next April and will be Titanium by then. We are considering using our Hyatt points at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, and it would be great if we were to get a private transfer to the ship. It is within 50 miles. Would I have to contact Regent after our cruise coming up when we become Titanium? Or will they do it automatically?

Terri

Hi Terri - as you can probably tell, I am still learning the rules associated with being Titanium. So far nothing has been automatic (we became Titanium in November, 2017). We have had to work with our TA regarding private transfers. Our issue is likely due to the fact that we book our own domestic air and Regent does not know our flights. If book your own hotel and want private transportation from the hotel to the ship rather than the airport to the hotel, Regent would need to know.

Once your private transfer is set up, make sure that it appears on your Regent invoice. Congratulations on becoming Titanium - hope that you are both well.

Jackie

Dave - it is possible that I'll learn this stuff eventually but it hasn't happened yet. I emailed the other Titanium couple that will also be in Santiago and they booked their own hotel. They will receive the transfer from the hotel to the ship - even though it is 70 miles (thanks for letting us know how far it is). So, I'm going to contact our TA on Monday and have them check out the situation.

Really appreciate all of the help.

Jackie

Jackie, we are doing well and looking forward to a cruise in November. Yes, we are doing our own flights to Japan. (We were lucky enough to snag them using our miles.) I will let my TA handle the transfers with Regent and ensure it is on the invoice. It would probably make sense to take the transfer to the ship since we are flying into HND which is much closer to the hotels than NRT.

Terri

I don’t use regent hotels and transfers, for all the reasons stated above. We are perfectly capable of getting ourselves to and from the ship, and my husband absolutely hates crowds.

Jackie, I am thinking you are getting on in Santiago when we are getting off.

I don’t use regent hotels and transfers, for all the reasons stated above. We are perfectly capable of getting ourselves to and from the ship, and my husband absolutely hates crowds.

Jackie, I am thinking you are getting on in Santiago when we are getting off.

Yes - we will miss you by one cruise. That cruise is a huge birthday for Dennis so I'm making plans for him.

In terms of the hotels, when you become Titanium (soon I think!?) and if the ship is more than 50 miles from the hotel, you may have to decide between a private transfer or your own hotel. I'll learn more about this when we contact "our" TA next week.

Yes - we will miss you by one cruise. That cruise is a huge birthday for Dennis so I'm making plans for him.

In terms of the hotels, when you become Titanium (soon I think!?) and if the ship is more than 50 miles from the hotel, you may have to decide between a private transfer or your own hotel. I'll learn more about this when we contact "our" TA next week.

Won’t be titanium for a while, but that will definitely change how I look at things.

I'm really sorry we'll miss Dennis' birthday. Wish we could be there. Make sure you give him a big "birthday" hug for us.

One small correction to your assertion about the PBS scheduling. You have said a number of times that it was scheduled after you booked but it had always been scheduled for the year out. I know because I wanted to book that cruise because they were on it and I watched it the whole time but was unable to make that cruise. Their website shows their schedule a year out.

I don't post much but I am so glad you are giving them their rightful due. How exciting to be on their cruise! I envy those who can partake!:)