Suggestions on how to show a new cruiser a great time.

frito58

So I have been on 20 plus cruises . I Lost my wife of 35 years and traveling partner to brain cancer which I thought my life ended , well the god has led me now down a path and shown me my life is not over and blessed me with crossing paths with a wonderful women who has also lost her husband before they could travel and she has never cruised so I kind of want to make her first cruise special . I kind of take it all for granted having been on so many , think I kind of forget what all the basics fun was about . I did snag us a vista suite on NYE cruise , so she is getting to start at in a great room . I am thinking of ordering room decorations , never have done that . I am getting a new black suit for formal nights , we had totally stopped dressing up and even going to the dining room on some cruises so figured we do them right . But if anyone can suggest anything else that would be great . Thanks a lot …. Steve

I’m so sorry for your loss. My dad passed recently after being married to my mom for 67 years. It’s hard to move on after being with someone for so long. I’m glad you’ve found someone and you’re going out and enjoying life again. :)

As for your cruise, I personally love it when my husband books me a spa service. They even have couples massages but he’s not into that. He normally gets me a mani/pedi combo or a hot stone massage. I also really like it when he takes me dancing or to one of the specialty restaurants. I’m sure she will love the cruise and get hooked right away like the rest of us.

Well Steve, I'm sorry and congratulations. I'm in health care and appreciate everything you posted.

Here is what came to mind quickly; under-promise and let the cruise line over-deliver. By that I mean don't share about all the perfect days with calm seas, perfect weather and zero problems. We forget the rainy and rocky days by remembering them.

Living and working in the Galveston area we've introduced cruising to about ten couples and their families. I've oversold how pretty Cozumel is, the weather and shore excursions where one couple went three times with us to discover a rainy, cold afternoon with no recourse but to stay aboard the ship. I've bragged about the sting-rays and 7 Mile Beach only to miss Grand Cayman twice before we got there with our friends.

Second, search online for a few of the daily guides and print them off. Let her see what it's like aboard, what to expect, and how the days differ from port and sea.

Third, I'm a visual person, most of us are. Here are some links you might share:

Breeze Tour: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkvSndMucQ9N4lnt2

The Conquest: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/WdEh6F

The Liberty: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/031519

The food: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/f0g017

Finally, I hope this isn't bad advice. Use some or none of it. We had two big scares in our 35 years together, and are headed to 36. If 58 from your screen name is your birth year I'm there with ya. Happy 60th! We're booked for #38 later this year. It's just too easy to head to Galveston and walk aboard.

Enjoy every day my friend!

lee.

;p;p;pJust get her on the Vista and she will be fine. We did NYE on the Vista 2016 into 2017 and it a was the best New Years we ever had. You both will love the ship and the party Carnival has is store for you. enjoy it all and good luck.;p

We are on the Miracle out of Tampa , that's what worked for us . I should have posted we are doing a long distance thing at present , I am in Ohio and she is in Tenn. so flights had to be worked out . We meet up about once a month somewhere in the U. S. we just got back from St . Louis met up there and saw Sugarland . We are going to St . Pete beach for Week in Sept . Going to Chicago to see Fleetwood Mac . She calls it dating on Steroids :') but we are having fun … BTW there are no wrong answers . Thanks everyone .

;p;p;pJust get her on the Vista and she will be fine. We did NYE on the Vista 2016 into 2017 and it a was the best New Years we ever had. You both will love the ship and the party Carnival has is store for you. enjoy it all and good luck.;p

I know how nice that ship is we had a Havana Cabana room booked with my wife but had to cancel when she took a turn for the worse and then passed away . Not sure I can bring myself to go on that ship for awhile . But maybe someday or its sister ship .

I’m so sorry for your loss. My dad passed recently after being married to my mom for 67 years. It’s hard to move on after being with someone for so long. I’m glad you’ve found someone and you’re going out and enjoying life again. :)

As for your cruise, I personally love it when my husband books me a spa service. They even have couples massages but he’s not into that. He normally gets me a mani/pedi combo or a hot stone massage. I also really like it when he takes me dancing or to one of the specialty restaurants. I’m sure she will love the cruise and get hooked right away like the rest of us.

A couples massage sounds a great idea . I never have done anything like that :)

Well Steve, I'm sorry and congratulations. I'm in health care and appreciate everything you posted.

Here is what came to mind quickly; under-promise and let the cruise line over-deliver. By that I mean don't share about all the perfect days with calm seas, perfect weather and zero problems. We forget the rainy and rocky days by remembering them.

Living and working in the Galveston area we've introduced cruising to about ten couples and their families. I've oversold how pretty Cozumel is, the weather and shore excursions where one couple went three times with us to discover a rainy, cold afternoon with no recourse but to stay aboard the ship. I've bragged about the sting-rays and 7 Mile Beach only to miss Grand Cayman twice before we got there with our friends.

Second, search online for a few of the daily guides and print them off. Let her see what it's like aboard, what to expect, and how the days differ from port and sea.

Third, I'm a visual person, most of us are. Here are some links you might share:

Breeze Tour: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkvSndMucQ9N4lnt2

The Conquest: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/WdEh6F

The Liberty: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/031519

The food: https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/f0g017

Finally, I hope this isn't bad advice. Use some or none of it. We had two big scares in our 35 years together, and are headed to 36. If 58 from your screen name is your birth year I'm there with ya. Happy 60th! We're booked for #38 later this year. It's just too easy to head to Galveston and walk aboard.

Enjoy every day my friend!

lee.

You are right I am 60 . Its all good . We will have fun that is for sure . Thanks for the tips .

I agree with the others than basically said let the cruise line deliver and don't over promise or oversell.

Recently I took my mother on her first cruise. It was fun to see the cruise through her eyes. As a example, she was excited and thrilled to see the towel animals in the evening in our cabin. It reminded me of when I was thrilled by the towel animals on my first cruise 20+ years ago.

Also, mom was thrilled and a bit overwhelmed by the dining. The service was superb and thrilled her. The waiters dancing was also a hit. I knew these things were coming but she didn't. I didn't tell her. She enjoyed the surprise.

She was also thrilled by the superb service by the cabin steward. Our cabin was cleaned 2 times per day, fresh towels, etc. You don't typically get that kind of service in a hotel.

I would also politely suggest you limit or refrain from comments that being with "The last cruise I was on...." Start your own traditions.

Enjoy each other's company.

I agree with the others than basically said let the cruise line deliver and don't over promise or oversell.

Recently I took my mother on her first cruise. It was fun to see the cruise through her eyes. As a example, she was excited and thrilled to see the towel animals in the evening in our cabin. It reminded me of when I was thrilled by the towel animals on my first cruise 20+ years ago.

Also, mom was thrilled and a bit overwhelmed by the dining. The service was superb and thrilled her. The waiters dancing was also a hit. I knew these things were coming but she didn't. I didn't tell her. She enjoyed the surprise.

She was also thrilled by the superb service by the cabin steward. Our cabin was cleaned 2 times per day, fresh towels, etc. You don't typically get that kind of service in a hotel.

I would also politely suggest you limit or refrain from comments that being with "The last cruise I was on...." Start your own traditions.

Enjoy each other's company.

Thanks I haven't mentioned to much that they do , other than room service. We are both widowed so you learn pretty fast , What you should and shouldn't say but actually this is our own tradition , I have never been on a NYE cruise . Always spring or fall . But thanks some good stuff . :)

How blessed you are to have had the years you did with your spouse. My mom and in laws were both married 50 plus years and my father in law passed in 2015, my dad in 2016. So sorry for your loss. Having cruised a lot, I love seeing the cruise thru new cruisers’ eyes and I agree, let things come as a surprise. Simple things like seeing the deep blue water, to seeing the size of the ship as you first walk aboard are things we sometimes take for granted. I like how you plan to dress up, we enjoyed doing that quite a bit as new cruisers and still do, we just toned it down a bit. Join in the fun and games, go see the shows and get out and enjoy. At the same time, I really enjoy sitting in the quiet and just watching the ocean. Definitely catch a few sunrises and sunsets, nothing like that at sea. I am excited for you both, come back and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So sorry for your loss, but happy that you have both found one another! Congrats!

Have you thought about shore excursions? Maybe see if there is something she has always wanted to do, and then book it as a surprise? Always fun to make a new memory together!

I also love going to the piano bar, and my husband and I dedicate songs to one another. Sometimes they are silly, or sometimes they are romantic. Just a fun, cheap little way to show you care. So maybe find out some of her favorites, or pick a song that has special meaning to the two of you.

So sorry for your loss.

For showing a new cruiser a good time, I would recommend being a knowledgeable guide, but let them explore. Certainly make suggestions for what to do, but allow them to make decisions. You have been on so many cruises, you know the ropes and there is probably nothing new. Everything is new to your new travel partner, allow them to explore. Half of the fun of a new cruise is just seeing what all is available. :)

What ship Steve? You mention vista suite so it sounded like the Vista but from a subsequent post of yours it sounds like that's not the ship you chose.

Underselling always helps - really it's so hard to know in advance what someone else will enjoy about their first cruise. My 75 year old dad and his wife went with us in January on their first on Carnival Sensation and I worried and fretted and tried to plan a good time for them and sort of micromanage their experience.

And then his favorite thing, hands down, was the 24 hour free soft serve in the old purple lido buffet, which I think he enjoyed 5-10 times per day. And he would have preferred a balcony instead of the outside stateroom he had (no big deal but next time he wants one, and there will be a next time) :) He talks about that cruise a lot and soft serve and the balcony he will get next time both get mentioned frequently.

She'll like what she likes. I agree with looking at the schedules if she has an interest, or just let this be her training cruise so you both learn her preferences. The suite will be, well, sweet and help her avoid the tiny-cabin-shock some have their first time.

So sorry for your loss, but happy that you have both found one another! Congrats!

Have you thought about shore excursions? Maybe see if there is something she has always wanted to do, and then book it as a surprise? Always fun to make a new memory together!

I also love going to the piano bar, and my husband and I dedicate songs to one another. Sometimes they are silly, or sometimes they are romantic. Just a fun, cheap little way to show you care. So maybe find out some of her favorites, or pick a song that has special meaning to the two of you.

Actually I booked the " Giving Back " excursion In Cozumel she loves to volunteer work and is not beach person like my wife was , this actually goes to an orphanage there she is really excited to do that . So thought that would be pretty cool and something very very different and outside the box. Piano bar is on list of things to do .

What ship Steve? You mention vista suite so it sounded like the Vista but from a subsequent post of yours it sounds like that's not the ship you chose.

Underselling always helps - really it's so hard to know in advance what someone else will enjoy about their first cruise. My 75 year old dad and his wife went with us in January on their first on Carnival Sensation and I worried and fretted and tried to plan a good time for them and sort of micromanage their experience.

And then his favorite thing, hands down, was the 24 hour free soft serve in the old purple lido buffet, which I think he enjoyed 5-10 times per day. And he would have preferred a balcony instead of the outside stateroom he had (no big deal but next time he wants one, and there will be a next time) :) He talks about that cruise a lot and soft serve and the balcony he will get next time both get mentioned frequently.

She'll like what she likes. I agree with looking at the schedules if she has an interest, or just let this be her training cruise so you both learn her preferences. The suite will be, well, sweet and help her avoid the tiny-cabin-shock some have their first time.

No its the Carnival Miracle .. They have Vista suites which are corner aft and are sweet . Huge balconies , bigger bathroom with double sink and a tub , so she will spoiled right off , but I am at my age I can afford to spoil her . Might as do it right we have no idea how many years we may have left . But yes

Id let her explore and YOU treat it as a first for you too.

I actually am in a lot ways, that's good advice , I booked the stingray tour in GC which I really have seen but want her to experience and its been years since I have done it so figured the hell why not do it again . So it will be fun to see some stuff again.

I'll offer some advice that is a little different from what has been offered. Relax. And I mean that in a good way. Do not put too much pressure on yourself to make the experience enjoyable for your companion. If you enjoy yourself, and she enjoys you...she's bound to have an excellent time.

That said, a massage never hurt! I hope you both have a wonderful time!

I totally agree about letting her discover the joys of cruising without your input....the more you "talk it up", the bigger the downfall if all doesn't go exactly as you've said.

This is her 1st cruise...it will be special because of that....stop talking about it! The wonder and awe must be experience firsthand!

So I have been on 20 plus cruises . I Lost my wife of 35 years and traveling partner to brain cancer which I thought my life ended , well the god has led me now down a path and shown me my life is not over and blessed me with crossing paths with a wonderful women who has also lost her husband before they could travel and she has never cruised so I kind of want to make her first cruise special . I kind of take it all for granted having been on so many , think I kind of forget what all the basics fun was about . I did snag us a vista suite on NYE cruise , so she is getting to start at in a great room . I am thinking of ordering room decorations , never have done that . I am getting a new black suit for formal nights , we had totally stopped dressing up and even going to the dining room on some cruises so figured we do them right . But if anyone can suggest anything else that would be great . Thanks a lot …. Steve

I would say don't rush her. Let her have the first time experiences. Stop for the pictures while boarding (you probably stopped doing this years ago). Once on the ship, have her look up through the atrium to the upper decks, taking in the colors and spaces. Go slowly through the lido and other busy places...let her take in the sights and sounds. Have fun with the pirate in the MDR. Get her favorite treat from the candy store. Buy some useless trinkets in the ports. Suffer through some shopping if that is her gig. Bottom line don't force your experience on her.

Thanks everyone , and I pretty much don't say much about it . Other than planning a few excursions those I keep to the basic info. Yes I haven't had a picture taken in years , but figured I would take myself back in time as I was first time cruiser and try to enjoy it from her eyes . Kind of nice in way makes me slow down and enjoy the little things again .

I agree with a lot of the suggestions here to not overshare with one exception... make sure you give her enough guidance on what clothes to bring. If she's not aware of 'elegant night' or if you decide to do Chef's Table or want pics together, you may want to suggest that she mostly pack casual, comfortable clothes, but to bring 'one nice outfit in case we do something special'.

My friend's first cruise she didn't realize this and only brought cruise casual clothes and felt really embarrassed that she wasn't dressed to the same standard as the rest of us in our group on Elegant night. As a result, she ate by herself on the Lido deck for the second elegant night and nothing any of us said would ease her mind.