Included Airfare?

I have been looking into taking a Regent cruise but am a little confused about the included airfare. I live on the West Coast so generally cruise out of Seattle, LA, or Vancouver. It seems to me that if I were to book a cruise with Regent I might as well take a cruise leaving from a European port (for example) since the price of airfare is structured in to the cruise cost. Is there any benefit to sailing out of a local port, aside from saving on travel time? If you have private flight arrangements or live in the embarkation port do they adjust the price?

I've been weighing Seabourn vs Regent so just want to be sure I understand the differences when considering cost. Thank you!

We live in Washington state and depart from Vancouver 99% of the time. While tthe flights are included from both SEA, LAX and YVR, the flights out of YVR are better because they do not stop in the U.S. As you likely know, flights within the U.S. are generally Coach* ....... Business Class is only for international flights. So we use Vancouver as a starting point and their stopovers are in international airports and we get international Business Class the entire way.

There is no cost difference whether you fly out of LAX, YVR or SEA. Sometimes you can get flights out of SEA or LAX that do not stop in the U.S. (Lufthansa and British Airways for example).

One more piece of the puzzle....... deviation. We deviate 270 days prior to the cruise. This allows us to select the flights that we want (as long as they are contracted with Regent and most are). Since Regent is booking our flights so far in advance, there is availability on just about every flight (deviation cost $175/person). By the time Regent books fights for their clients, there are fewer flights and if you are departing from LAX or SEA, the odds are greater that you will have a stopover in the U.S.

Whether you book Regent or Seabourn, make sure that you have a TA that regularly books cruises on luxury cruise lines. In addition to assisting you with the booking, you can get a percentage back of your cruise fare when booking through these travel agents. Many times you also receive onboard credits.

If you need additional information, just ask. Don't want to overload you with too much:halo:

*Sometimes you can get Business/First class domestically if the same carrier is being used on the international portion of the flight(s).

We live in Washington state and depart from Vancouver 99% of the time. While tthe flights are included from both SEA, LAX and YVR, the flights out of YVR are better because they do not stop in the U.S. As you likely know, flights within the U.S. are generally Coach* ....... Business Class is only for international flights. So we use Vancouver as a starting point and their stopovers are in international airports and we get international Business Class the entire way.

I live in Washington state too so it would be quite easy to take a train (or a one day repositioning cruise) up to Vancouver for a flight. I've been on several cruises where you are charged for everything from a comfortable lounge chair to drinks and excursions, so this "all inclusive" concept is new and exciting. I love the idea of it and just want to be sure I don't overlook any of the benefits.

Thank you for the very detailed information!

I live in Washington state too so it would be quite easy to take a train (or a one day repositioning cruise) up to Vancouver for a flight. I've been on several cruises where you are charged for everything from a comfortable lounge chair to drinks and excursions, so this "all inclusive" concept is new and exciting. I love the idea of it and just want to be sure I don't overlook any of the benefits.

Thank you for the very detailed information!

You are very welcome! We live in Bellingham which is only 50 miles from Vancouver so it's an easy drive for us. Based on what you said, I think that you'll love the all inclusive cruise!

Another option worth mentioning is that you can decline the Regent included air and make your own arrangements. For a cruise starting and ending in Europe, this can amount to $3000 or so per person. You can do a "Plan my Voyage" on-line with and without included air to find out the precise amount.

Many of us do this to ensure exactly the flights we want and/or use frequent flyer points.

Of course, if you book your own air, you are on your own for transfers. I think that is also the case if you deviate your air through Regent and arrive a day or more early.

While Regent is touted as all inclusive, it is not completely inclusive. For instance it seems more and more excursions are extra cost with fewer included and even with the included excursions, there are times when they fill up and you don't get your choice. You can waitlist but, not guaranteed you will get your chosen included excursion.

As to air, Scott explained about taking the credit and booking on your own. Since you live on the West Coast, you can also take the credit and not fly at all saving that air cost for West Coast cruises. There are other activities that do cost extra but, the same on most cruise lines. You are doing the right thing getting all the information you can and then weighing your costs compared to other cruise lines you favor. In any case, happy cruising.

Another option worth mentioning is that you can decline the Regent included air and make your own arrangements. For a cruise starting and ending in Europe, this can amount to $3000 or so per person. You can do a "Plan my Voyage" on-line with and without included air to find out the precise amount.

Many of us do this to ensure exactly the flights we want and/or use frequent flyer points.

Of course, if you book your own air, you are on your own for transfers. I think that is also the case if you deviate your air through Regent and arrive a day or more early.

Thank you for the information, I wasn't sure whether I'd be required to pay the price of airfare even if I didn't use it. I would likely prefer to use my frequent flyer miles, and always want to arrive in port at least a day or two before embarkation.

Travelcat mentioned using a TA which sounds wise for a trip like this. I usually like to be in control of everything, but I'm afraid I'd overlook some vital detail since there is so much I don't know about the cruise line.

While Regent is touted as all inclusive, it is not completely inclusive. For instance it seems more and more excursions are extra cost with fewer included and even with the included excursions, there are times when they fill up and you don't get your choice. You can waitlist but, not guaranteed you will get your chosen included excursion.

As to air, Scott explained about taking the credit and booking on your own. Since you live on the West Coast, you can also take the credit and not fly at all saving that air cost for West Coast cruises. There are other activities that do cost extra but, the same on most cruise lines. You are doing the right thing getting all the information you can and then weighing your costs compared to other cruise lines you favor. In any case, happy cruising.

Thanks Dave! I found a useful comparison tool on the Regent website that shows how they match up to other lines and they've actually lowballed what Princess charges for several of the items (excursions, wifi and the beverage package). Skipping the cost of airfare and sailing out of my home port is tempting but I am leaning toward Europe as my next destination. It's been 12 years so I'm ready to go back. :)

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2018-06/JUN184497_Comparison_Med.pdf

I strongly disagree that there has been an increase on the number of Regent excursions that cost money. In fact, on two of our upcoming cruises, it was difficult to find a Regent Choice excursion (the ones that have a cost associated with it). I would say that 90% of excursions on Regent are included (or as they say "free").

The air credit for most European itineraries is $2,500/person which a little lower than Portolan posted (I was checking 2019 air credits which could account for the difference). As also mentioned by Portolan, you may lose transfers to the ship and from the ship to the airport if you book your own air.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the pre-cruise hotel which I think is important. You need to book a Concierge or above suite in order to get the pre-cruise hotel. If you opt out of the hotel, you receive a $150/person credit (some itineraries have different credits).

Another reason not to book air on your own is if there is a change in your plans. Some cancellation fees on airlines are becoming quite high. On the other hand, if you cancel the cruise with Regent (as long as it is before final payment is due), there is a $200 cancellation fee that you will re-coop when you book another cruise.

The way we do things is to let Regent do as much as possible for us. After all, we are on vacation! So, we use Regent air - they pick up us at the airport and take us to the hotel. The hotel includes breakfast. The next day you are picked up by bus and delivered right to the hotel (and another bus takes you back to the airport). Nothing to even think about.

Agree with you about having a TA - especially to receive a rebate and on board credits. We also like to be in control of our cruises. We select our flights (by deviating), send an email with our first and second choices to our TA and they deal with Regent. Most of the time our choices are accepted but if not, your TA will come back to you with other options. You do not pay the deviation fee until you approve the flights.

Edited by Travelcat2

I strongly disagree that there has been an increase on the number of Regent excursions that cost money. In fact, on two of our upcoming cruises, it was difficult to find a Regent Choice excursion (the ones that have a cost associated with it). I would say that 90% of excursions on Regent are included (or as they say "free").

Out of curiosity I have just added up our excursion choices for our cruise as we haven't long reserved ours.

Regent Included Excursions = 32

Regent Choice Excursions =27

Two ports have more Choice excursions than Included ones and one port we are there two days, but as the choice of excursions are the same, with the exception of of two evening ones [one included, one choice] I have only counted it once.

We have booked 5 included tours, one choice on and have wait listed three included ones. One port we will book our own tour as Regent offer nothing to Pearl Harbour, Whether this is because the Arizona Memorial is indefinitely closed I don't know, but happy to do our own thing and overall we are happy with the choices of included and choice tours.

Since we are counting, I counted our next two cruises.

Our November cruise has 42 included excursions and 5 Regent Choice excursions.

Our February cruise has 50 included excursions and 16 Regent Choice excursions

It does vary by port and I was likely incorrect when I posted that 90% were included but the point that I disagreed with is that more and more excursions are becoming Regent Choice excursions. Regent is adding more and new excursions and some of them are certainly Regent Choice but we have never had difficulty finding included excursions. Our dilemma has been finding Regent Choice excursions because that is our preference.

Not my experience with regent and waitlists usualy clear

Agree get a TA for advise and save $

You can take air and hotel credits with regent. your choice. enjoy

Our February cruise has 50 included excursions and 16 Regent Choice excursions

It does vary by port and I was likely incorrect when I posted that 90% were included but the point that I disagreed with is that more and more excursions are becoming Regent Choice excursions. Regent is adding more and new excursions and some of them are certainly Regent Choice but we have never had difficulty finding included excursions. Our dilemma has been finding Regent Choice excursions because that is our preference.

Please don't think I was nit picking, as I wasn't. I was genuinely curious to what the mix was on our cruise.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, that the mix of included and choice excursions is wrong in some ports, as we have one that the upcost tours outweigh the included ones and another that only has a couple of choice ones.

Also when I rang to be wait listed, the operator tried to sell me a Regent Choice excursion, that was almost identical to the included one. I politely declined her offer and asked to be wait listed.

Please don't think I was nit picking, as I wasn't. I was genuinely curious to what the mix was on our cruise.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, that the mix of included and choice excursions is wrong in some ports, as we have one that the upcost tours outweigh the included ones and another that only has a couple of choice ones.

Also when I rang to be wait listed, the operator tried to sell me a Regent Choice excursion, that was almost identical to the included one. I politely declined her offer and asked to be wait listed.

I think you should nitpick till the cows come home!!!

I certainly would not take the word of one poster to make your decision. Regent cruises are expensive and you should make sure you are getting what you want wether it be an included excursion or otherwise.

Take your time and do some research, it will benefit you in the long run.

Pam.

I didn't think that you were nitpicking. Your post encouraged me to check out a couple of our cruises and I was surprised by one of them. It is important to give people new to Regent the best information possible and you definitely help with that. Thank you!

I think you should nitpick till the cows come home!!!

I certainly would not take the word of one poster to make your decision. Regent cruises are expensive and you should make sure you are getting what you want wether it be an included excursion or otherwise.

Pam.

Thank you Pam. Like you, we are in the UK and very quickly found our that things can be very different to what happens in the US.

Research has been my friend, but occasionally, I am stumped.

Asked Regent the other day about our flights home, which I was impressed when we were notified of the 11 months out, unlike what the American posters say about flights being notified much nearer the departure date, but I digress. We are routed on two flights, with two different carriers, one with an unlimited by weight, cabin bag, the other with 10kgs. My question was, will the allowance be honoured by both airlines. In short, after some digging by the Regent agent, the answer was no, so we will have to check one bag in at an extra cost. Simple you think, no, I can't just check the bag for that leg, it has to be for both legs, so costing twice as much.

I'm still working on that part ;)

The air credit for most European itineraries is $2,500/person which a little lower than Portolan posted (I was checking 2019 air credits which could account for the difference). As also mentioned by Portolan, you may lose transfers to the ship and from the ship to the airport if you book your own air.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the pre-cruise hotel which I think is important. You need to book a Concierge or above suite in order to get the pre-cruise hotel. If you opt out of the hotel, you receive a $150/person credit (some itineraries have different credits).

Another reason not to book air on your own is if there is a change in your plans. Some cancellation fees on airlines are becoming quite high. On the other hand, if you cancel the cruise with Regent (as long as it is before final payment is due), there is a $200 cancellation fee that you will re-coop when you book another cruise.

The way we do things is to let Regent do as much as possible for us. After all, we are on vacation! So, we use Regent air - they pick up us at the airport and take us to the hotel. The hotel includes breakfast. The next day you are picked up by bus and delivered right to the hotel (and another bus takes you back to the airport). Nothing to even think about.

Agree with you about having a TA - especially to receive a rebate and on board credits. We also like to be in control of our cruises. We select our flights (by deviating), send an email with our first and second choices to our TA and they deal with Regent. Most of the time our choices are accepted but if not, your TA will come back to you with other options. You do not pay the deviation fee until you approve the flights.

Out of curiosity I have just added up our excursion choices for our cruise as we haven't long reserved ours.

Regent Included Excursions = 32

Regent Choice Excursions =27

Two ports have more Choice excursions than Included ones and one port we are there two days, but as the choice of excursions are the same, with the exception of of two evening ones [one included, one choice] I have only counted it once.

We have booked 5 included tours, one choice on and have wait listed three included ones. One port we will book our own tour as Regent offer nothing to Pearl Harbour, Whether this is because the Arizona Memorial is indefinitely closed I don't know, but happy to do our own thing and overall we are happy with the choices of included and choice tours.

Our February cruise has 50 included excursions and 16 Regent Choice excursions[/quote]

Not my experience with regent and waitlists usualy clear

Agree get a TA for advise and save $

You can take air and hotel credits with regent. your choice. enjoy

Regent cruises are expensive and you should make sure you are getting what you want wether it be an included excursion or otherwise.

Pam.

All of your feedback has been very helpful, thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with Regent. From what I’ve gathered I will start by getting a TA, and for the most part allow them and Regent to take care of all the little details. Before I do all that though, I’m going to stick around on this forum and try to absorb as much information as I can. Realistically I will be planning for a cruise in 2020.

A few new questions I have are:

Will I still accrue frequent flyer miles if Regent books the flights?

Will I have access to the business/first class lounge while waiting for my flights?

What is the average upcharge for Regent Choice excursions, and do you feel like the experience differs much from the included options?

answers below

A few new questions I have are:

Will I still accrue frequent flyer miles if Regent books the flights? Yes

Will I have access to the business/first class lounge while waiting for my flights? Yes

What is the average upcharge for Regent Choice excursions, and do you feel like the experience differs much from the included options? upcharge varies. worth it if you want to go on that excursion. choice excursions often include a meal

Regent Choice excursions are, IMO, usually much better than included excursions. They also have less people (not all of the time - it depends but I would say most of the time). Regent Choice excursions, as seaknots posted, vary in price. From our experience, it could be from $89/each to $500/each (some are even higher). The most that we have paid for a Regent Choice excursion was in Barcelona when we went olive oil tasting (I know - sounds weird), to a couple of markets that are amazing and ended up having lunch at a two Michelin star restaurant. Cost? $300/each.

As high as these seem, when we were on Oceania (sister company to Regent), we paid $1,000 (for both of us) for an excursion in Greece where you spend the morning learning how to prepare several Greek dishes (very hands on - either you're kneading bread, cutting veggies or cooking). While doing this "prep" work, you are sipping wine and Ouzo. After you have prepared lunch, we got a tour of the kitchen (we were cooking outside) and then were served lunch (thankfully made by the cooks - not us). Each course was the same as what we prepared - it was delicious and of course there was more wine and Ouzo. The was truly a once in a lifetime experience and we were surprised to see it offered on Regent. So, we did it again but this time we paid about 25% of Oceania's price for both of us.

You can use on board credits to pay for these excursions but need to pay them in advance when you book. Once you get onboard you can get a refund (in cash - no credit card credits) and have them take the cost out of your OBC's.

Sorry for the long post - just thought that our experience would give you an idea of what some Regent Choice excursions can be like.

Thank you seaknots!

Regent Choice excursions are, IMO, usually much better than included excursions. They also have less people (not all of the time - it depends but I would say most of the time). Regent Choice excursions, as seaknots posted, vary in price. From our experience, it could be from $89/each to $500/each (some are even higher). The most that we have paid for a Regent Choice excursion was in Barcelona when we went olive oil tasting (I know - sounds weird), to a couple of markets that are amazing and ended up having lunch at a two Michelin star restaurant. Cost? $300/each.

As high as these seem, when we were on Oceania (sister company to Regent), we paid $1,000 (for both of us) for an excursion in Greece where you spend the morning learning how to prepare several Greek dishes (very hands on - either you're kneading bread, cutting veggies or cooking). While doing this "prep" work, you are sipping wine and Ouzo. After you have prepared lunch, we got a tour of the kitchen (we were cooking outside) and then were served lunch (thankfully made by the cooks - not us). Each course was the same as what we prepared - it was delicious and of course there was more wine and Ouzo. The was truly a once in a lifetime experience and we were surprised to see it offered on Regent. So, we did it again but this time we paid about 25% of Oceania's price for both of us.

You can use on board credits to pay for these excursions but need to pay them in advance when you book. Once you get onboard you can get a refund (in cash - no credit card credits) and have them take the cost out of your OBC's.

Sorry for the long post - just thought that our experience would give you an idea of what some Regent Choice excursions can be like.

Those excursions sound lovely, and worth the extra cost. Opa! ;p What a shocking difference in price between Oceana and Regent for the same experience.

Excursions on Regent and Oceania are the same. I know some people claim differently, but it is true. And I have done the same itinerary on both lines. What is different is that part or all of the excursion fare is included when you sail on regent. With Oceania, the entire fare is added on.

The most expensive regent tour we have done was to some Mayan ruins in Honduras, very remote. We and another couple plus a lady from destination services on the ship flew there in a tiny plane (George, my husband who used to fly, had to inspect it and talk with the pilot before we took off. It was built in Tulsa, so he felt better about that.). It was an amazing trip and totally worth the $600 pp charge, but a once in a lifetime experience.

You are very welcome! We live in Bellingham which is only 50 miles from Vancouver so it's an easy drive for us. Based on what you said, I think that you'll love the all inclusive cruise!

You’re in Bellingham? *I’m* in Bellingham! I had no idea you were local! You’ve been incredibly helpful in advice that has assisted in planning my first RSSC trip.

That cruise leaves out of Vancouver on Sep 12 (on the Mariner), so I’m taking the train up the day before. Since round trip air was part of the fare, I was credited with a tidy sum that went to offset upgrading to a first class flight home from disembarkation in Miami.

Lana in Bellingham, WA (who is leaving tomorrow to start the 38-day Voyage of the Vikings on Holland America’s ms Rotterdam) [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re in Bellingham? *I’m* in Bellingham! I had no idea you were local! You’ve been incredibly helpful in advice that has assisted in planning my first RSSC trip.

That cruise leaves out of Vancouver on Sep 12 (on the Mariner), so I’m taking the train up the day before. Since round trip air was part of the fare, I was credited with a tidy sum that went to offset upgrading to a first class flight home from disembarkation in Miami.

Lana in Bellingham, WA (who is leaving tomorrow to start the 38-day Voyage of the Vikings on Holland America’s ms Rotterdam) [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad that my advice is helpful! You have some wonderful cruises lined up. I'm a bit jealous that you're getting away from this heat tomorrow. Hope that your cruise is wonderful.

Also, think that you'll really enjoy the Mariner in September. Regent is really a great cruise line and once onboard, there is little to think about (and nothing to pay unless you want to).

Please let us know how your cruises are!

Glad that my advice is helpful! You have some wonderful cruises lined up. I'm a bit jealous that you're getting away from this heat tomorrow. Hope that your cruise is wonderful.

Also, think that you'll really enjoy the Mariner in September. Regent is really a great cruise line and once onboard, there is little to think about (and nothing to pay unless you want to).

Please let us know how your cruises are!

Washington represent! Have a great cruise ArtsyCraftsy, we will stay here and melt ;p

Washington represent! Have a great cruise ArtsyCraftsy, we will stay here and melt ;p

Ha ha - another Washington person:D. You guys had it must worse than we did up north but we are still baking. Need to wait another 7 weeks before our next cruise and by then we'll have our glorious rain back!