Best port you've visited

I'm looking into cruises for next year but I have absolutely NO IDEA where to go.. I've done Eastern, Western and Bermuda. However my boyfriend has never been on a cruise. What are the places that are a must see? What type of excursions did you do there?

When it comes to the Caribbean, I will always be partial to St. Thomas. Plenty of great beaches there. My overall favorite port so far, out of 12 cruises, is Kona, HI. It's such a nice, calm, laid-back place. There's plenty to do, but even if you don't want to go on any excursions, the main town area right off the tender is great, too. The beaches are, of course, great. It's Hawaii, after all. Of course, Hawaii cruises would require more of a time and financial commitment than other cruises.

I haven't been to a lot of ports, but of the ones I have been to:

Absolute favorite was Half Moon Cay, awesome beach and beautiful clear blue water. Cruises out of Charleston or Jacksonville will take you there, if you are wanting a short cruise from close to home.

Close second was Grand Turk, we did a tour and spent time shopping, I can't wait to go back next year, it's such a quaint little island with some of the friendliest people.

I've not yet been to Aruba or Curacao, but hope to in September, so perhaps one of those will become my favorite. But right now, of the ports I've visited, my favorite is San Juan (note* haven't been there since it was devastated last year). I love Old San Juan! It just looks and feels so historical and genuine. I hear it has made a good comeback. My favorites change from time to time, as the new wears off. Just behind San Juan, are the saints, St. Thomas, St. Maarten. Cozumel is great too.

1) Western: Roatan (so many actives, minimal development and BEAUTIFUL west bay beach)

2) Eastern: St. Lucia (can't beat the pitons and the lushness)

3) Southern: Aruba (gorgeous desert north shore and fun town)

4) Alaska: Skagway (gateway to Yukon)

5) Canada: St. John (Beautiful scenery either north or south)

I included the last 2 in case you decide to think outside the box!

I think on what you have described, I would go Western. You can beach in Cozumel, Costa Maya or Grand Cayman. You can "adventure" in Belize and Roatan. I just find Western so much more exotic with a wider variety of things to do. Love St. Thomas (but over developed) and San Juan (really just a walking tour since rain forest took hit in hurricane last year). We were less than impressed with Barbados and thought St. Kitts was beautiful but harder to find activities here; eastern is just far more developed and I think appeals more to shoppers/town tourists. Jamaica you fight the locals, so you need a private guide but this is a lovely island. Curacao is "ok" with a good town, but not much else that interested us, even after an island tour.

And of course, if you can snag a stop at Half Moon, Princess Caye or Grand Turk you have a built in beach day.

LOVE Little French Key in Roatan and Mr Sanchos in Cozumel. Half Moon Cay if I get a Villa is also gorgeous for Eastern.

Thinking about doing Mr Sanchos in January. And food or drink recommendations? Or an tips, pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More of a beach guy. Wouldn't mind some fun excursions but he does not like heights or snorkeling.

• Half Moon Cay (HMC), a must for any beach lover.
  • Grand Turk, another nice beach.
  • Princess Cay, yet another nice beach that Carnival visits.
  • St Maarten, Maho beach offers the unique experience of large jets 100' or so overhead as they come in to land. Lots of other nice beaches, including Orient beach.
  • Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach (not really seven miles, but quite long), one of the best in the Caribbean

My favorite ports sailed to are St. Petersburg Russia, Athens, and Cairo (Port Said) ..... Back to reality on Carnival, Aruba and the Southern is the best. Far better than any western or eastern. Aruba has much better terrain and water than the others.

More of a beach guy. Wouldn't mind some fun excursions but he does not like heights or snorkeling.

Guess we're talking a Caribbean cruise on a Carnival ship.

Considering what he does NOT like, he'd probably enjoy the lovely beaches in the Eastern Caribbean. St. Maarten is especially nice for what he enjoys. :D