Everyday AM Coffee from the cabin attendaant?

Back in the day I remember tipping our cabin attendant extra at the beginning of each cruise -- to bring coffee to the room early every day. Is that still appropriate or is early morning coffee an "official" room service deal with all the associated fees and expense?

Room service does that. There is a door card you can fill out and it will come at the time you specify. Coffee and pastry is still "free"....just hot food items incur that charge.

The cabin attendant has nothing to do with it.

Room service does that. There is a door card you can fill out and it will come at the time you specify. Coffee and pastry is still "free"....just hot food items incur that charge.

The cabin attendant has nothing to do with it.

good to know thanks

That's not their job. They have plenty to do.

I disagree.

This is still a Service industry.

So if you tip him enough, he'll go out of his way, above & beyond his duties to earn that extra tip to make you happy.

You may have to tip him more than usual to him, but I'm sure he'll glad to do it for the extra earned tips...

Dahlia 11,

"Continental" breakfast is still complimentary. We always order early AM coffee and perhaps toast or yogurt, before going to the gym. Room Service will likely be delivered by different individuals during your sailing. I keep an envelope of single dollar notes in the nightstand, and put a couple of bucks on the dresser each night, in preparation for our early morning knock at the door. My impression is that the server does not expect a tip, and is always appreciative.

Cheers.

I disagree.

So if you tip him enough, he'll go out of his way, above & beyond his duties to earn that extra tip to make you happy.

You may have to tip him more than usual to him, but I'm sure he'll glad to do it for the extra earned tips...

Bringing coffee is not their job. And they do have plenty to do. You disagree with either statement? Asking them to do other things for tips is a different subject.

I disagree.

Maybe if you tip the Captain he'll bring your coffee :rolleyes:

That's not their job. They have plenty to do.

I agree with you. With all the reductions in staff the room stewards now have a lot of cabins to service with no assistant to help them.

Order your coffee from room service and give the person who deliveres it a small tip every morning when they arrive.

Your room steward would not want to disappoint you and so would probably try to accommodate, but please don’t put that extra burden on them.

I disagree.

Oh yes. He has 19 rooms to clean so he won't mind stopping and running off to the kitchens every time someone wants coffee but can't be bothered to pick up the phone and order it...:o

i agree with you. With all the reductions in staff the room stewards now have a lot of cabins to service with no assistant to help them.

Order your coffee from room service and give the person who deliveres it a small tip every morning when they arrive.

Your room steward would not want to disappoint you and so would probably try to accommodate, but please don’t put that extra burden on them.

+1 ^

I disagree.

But why would you want to put him in the awkward position of either having to say no or go out of his way to accommodate you with something that is clearly not his job. Stewards have way too much on their plates now with no assistants and more cabins to service. Might make you feel like a big shot to dangle a tip in front of them but really not the thing to do when you can just use room service.

So if you tip him enough, he'll go out of his way, above & beyond his duties to earn that extra tip to make you happy.... You may have to tip him more than usual to him, but I'm sure he'll glad to do it for the extra earned tips...

Surely this is a joke post, right? ;p;p;p

Our steward on Anthem last week started working on his 15 rooms around 9 and got done around 1. Then started again around 5. He probably would have gotten coffee for us at 7:30 if we had asked but we wouldn't have asked him to start working 1 1/2 hours early. When I commented I needed to get off the ship in an early group (tags hadn't showed up on second to last day) he did insist he get us early tags. But he distributes the tags anyway so it wasn't a big deal for him.

I disagree.

Or, one could call room service as normal and tip the proper person? Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

From the room attendant's point of view:

I make $50/day for 8 - 12 hours of hard work.

Passenger offers me $10 - 20 extra cash tips to get him coffee in the morning. I'm thinking that's good money for 10 minutes of extra work.

I can reply:

1. "Yes, my pleasure, Sir" Ritz Carlton service, keeping customer happy.

or

2. "No, Sir, that's not my job. You need to call room service" Motel 6 service, may tick off customer, but hey, I'm too busy to make extra money for my family back at home.

Passenger offers me $10 - 20 extra cash tips to get him coffee in the morning. I'm thinking that's good money for 10 minutes of extra work.

I can reply:

or

2. "No, Sir, that's not my job. You need to call room service" Motel 6 service, may tick off customer, but hey, I'm too busy to make extra money for my family back at home.

But why even ask the room attendant? There is already an entire department on the ship whose job it is to deliver food and drinks to rooms. Would you ask the room service person if they can make the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can reply:

or

Ummm, no!

Your attendant has to service several cabins and simply cannot play the "butler/concierge" role for one cabin.

Just place your order with room service and be done with it!

As a fellow passenger I would be pissed if my cabin wasn't serviced because the attendant was out fetching coffee for another guest.

The entitlement lately is mind boggling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can reply:

or

Yeah and he then has to get up couple hours early to bring you your coffee. Pass, not their job, 30+ years on Royal it never was. Just have room service bring it for free, it is their job...

I can reply:

or

Would you ask your waiter to clean your room?

Would you ask the bartender at Boleros to get you some salad?

Don't ask you cabin steward to get you coffee.

Passenger offers me $10 - 20 extra cash tips to get him coffee in the morning. I'm thinking that's good money for 10 minutes of extra work every day and I only need to get up an hour or two early each day to get this done.

I can reply:

1. "Yes, my pleasure, Sir" Ritz Carlton service, keeping customer happy and risk my job, as I´m not allowed in the galley to get the coffee and not allowed to handle any foods or drinks for passengers. If my manager gets aware of this I´ll be in big trouble, but hey I´m getting a buck or two per the extra hour and that´s worth it to risk my job and not make anymore money at all for my family at home.

or

2. "No, Sir, I´m sorry, I´m unable to accomodate your request. Our room service will be happy to take care of our request. You can easily order by using the door hangers I´ve left for your convenience right here in your cabin. Of course you could call them any time at the extension **** as well. Hey I´ll make the customer happy, I´ll make room service happy and my managers should be happy as I did what I was expected to do and this will keep my money flowing for the future and guarantee my family back at home an income to live on.that's not my job. You need to call room service" Motel 6 service, may tick off customer, but hey, I'm too busy to make extra money for my family back at home.

I´ve corrected the post for you. IMO option 1 would be more like the Motel 6 service, where I ask a room attendant to head over to the Starbucks and get me a coffee for a good tip.

Option 2 is the Ritz Carlton service, where the proper people get the job done. It´s not a good idea to ask the cook to make my bed while the cabin attendant runs off to get me coffee.:rolleyes:

No offense but I think I'm totally capable of filling out the room service coffee request and hanging it on the door the night before. And if I want a mocha, I can multi task and walk (yes walk) to Café Promenade, get my coffee (and sweets if desired) and bring it back to the balcony to enjoy.

Just finished reading the additional commentary, and found it to be somewhat disturbing. All that animosity ...seriously? Go back to the original post. That poster openly confessed to having not cruised in awhile. He/she was simply asking an innocent question. No way were they suggesting that the cabin steward should be overburdened with a "coffee request." I believe that they were simply asking about the protocol of acquiring that coffee! For crying out loud ... let's be nice!