Keto Diet on Carnival

miketracy

Hey guys!

In no way is my intent here anything more than trying to help others.

I've been living the Ketogenic life for 16 months now and in that time have gone on 3 cruises with Carnival. I wrote a blog article about how to cruise on Carnival while still eating for my goals. If anyone is interested in having a look, I welcome your feedback as well as any tips you might have as well!

Thanks, all!

https://fatfuelledmike.wordpress.com/2018/07/01/keto-on-carnival/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's a great post, thanks! I just recently started back on LCHF and will be sailing the Imagination at the end of August. This helps me plan and provides some additional information. I'll certainly have to to get the pig patty!

I also plan to bring my emulsified MCT oil for coffee in the morning.

Do you have any suggested alcoholic beverage indulgences? Normally, we follow keto, but I opt not to (for the most part) on vacation. I mean, I won't go NUTS, but I will have dessert and alchemy bar drinks. :D

However, my husband will not. Other than red wine, vodka soda, and light beer, are there any lower carb alcoholic drink options? For example, I seem to remember a "skinny mojito" on the Serenity deck in the past. Is that lower carb? Anything like that?

Do you have any suggested alcoholic beverage indulgences? Normally, we follow keto, but I opt not to (for the most part) on vacation. I mean, I won't go NUTS, but I will have dessert and alchemy bar drinks. :D

However, my husband will not. Other than red wine, vodka soda, and light beer, are there any lower carb alcoholic drink options? For example, I seem to remember a "skinny mojito" on the Serenity deck in the past. Is that lower carb? Anything like that?

Im not OP but one thing we found we like drinking is whiskey/water on ice with Mio sweet tea mixed in. 0 carb and delicious!

We are keto too... But not during cruises lol.

Neat information though, thank you for sharing!

LOL... I was that way too. Then I got accused of booking too many cruise just so I could eat carbs. HA! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! My next cruise is at the end of October, which will be my first cruise since I started keto. I'm sure I'll end up having some carby things (it is vacation, after all), but I'm hoping to mostly stick to keto-friendly options. But we'll see what happens once I actually get on the ship. :D

I really like the options you can get with water enhancers. For instance, cranberry Mio and vodka or orange/mango with rum.

I love this and that is what I did on my last cruise, mostly. I did indulge in some dessert at dinner but found that I really didn't want more than a couple of bites. With my regular food I found it easy to stick with the plan and ate basically what you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

I have been able to maintain ketosis while indulging in Champagne, Prosecco and Blanc de Blanc.

"A 4-ounce serving of champagne contains just 1.6 grams of carbohydrates." "The carbohydrate content of champagne is lower than that of other types of wine. Per 5-ounce serving, white and red table wines contain about 3.8 grams of carbs. Sweet dessert wine, which some people favor over champagne as a post-dinner drink, is significantly higher, with 14.1 grams of carbs in a 3.5-ounce glass."

good resources : https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-and-alcohol/ https://www.tasteaholics.com/keto-diet/the-ultimate-guide-to-keto-alcohol/

• 1 year later...

FWIW, I had a prediabetes scare last year and three months into a keto diet, I did have a cruise to go on. 

I also did fine.

I would encourage anyone doing so to pack some nuts or something for shore days.

As far as alcohol, I'll point out that a dirty vodka martini is fairly low in carbs, but I gotta say that the bartender in the comedy club in the Carnival Magic didn't seem to grok the zen of a good vodka martini.

Since I eat the way I do for blood sugar issues, alcohol is a very seldom thing with me.

I just did 2 cruises this year while on keto. It was difficult and depressing but the scale showed I had only gained a pound or two which really helped put me at ease going through that. The article by OP mentions sugar free desserts. I suppose they are but the crust would not be carb free at all, from flour. I did not try those. I only had the 'cheese' plate once or twice as I only care for harder cheeses. The cheese plate also has grapes and one strawberry so it's going to temp you also!

Be careful about soups, after 5 minutes I finally got someone 'in the know' from the back who informed me the pumpkin soup has brown sugar in it on the buffet. All the gravies on meats have starch thickeners, probably cornstarch or flour.  Even the meatballs in the dining room have breading filler, I was told. I was able to go to the itallian place and get a bowl full of meat and veggies without pasta. Dinner time was usually grilled chicken and double broccoli and butter with shrimp cocktails appetizer (only using very little cocktail sauce on them, it has sugar). Many times I ate the top of the pizzas. The burger place you can get 2 bacon patties to replace the buns which makes them easier to eat. It was nice to find buttered green beans once or twice on the buffet. The mongolian place didn't argue when I said I didn't want sauce, so that was decent but the line usually wasn't.  Breakfast was always in the dining room so I could get honest real eggs sunny side up plus bacon, sausage, ham. The buffet scrambled eggs will be from powder or a liquid carton with fillers.

Stay vigilant about your food and you'll be glad you did later on.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, miketracy said:

Hey guys!

In no way is my intent here anything more than trying to help others.

I've been living the Ketogenic life for 16 months now and in that time have gone on 3 cruises with Carnival. I wrote a blog article about how to cruise on Carnival while still eating for my goals. If anyone is interested in having a look, I welcome your feedback as well as any tips you might have as well!

Thanks, all!

https://fatfuelledmike.wordpress.com/2018/07/01/keto-on-carnival/

No Keto here on the ships offering those 6 inch high cakes at lunch in the buffet!-))

I came up with what I call the Cake Lunch!))

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  Great tips.  I usually take some food with me on vaca to stay keto.  Coconut flour wraps are easy to pack and I can always find meat/cheese/veggies to fill them in the buffet.  I've even used them to make breakfast wraps.   

Not that most people would take food ONTO a cruise ship, lol.  

Excellent thread!

Thank you so much! I have not yet read your post, but I am thanking you in advance. I am a "lean" [meaning I was thin and physically active when diagnosed, which, ironically is more severe, so need to be extra strict with diet] type 2 diabetic and I am on keto [under 20 g. carbs a day] I have been perusing the menus and come up with some good foods, but I am so happy to find more.

My "carb" treat is "Zero Carb" bagels that I order online from the Bariatric store. I only have it about once a month [keep it in freezer] beause though zero carbs, it is not that "clean." I have tried products from Whole Foods, inedible, but these are really tastey. 

I have called Carnival 3 seperate times on whether or not I can bring a sealed unopened bag on the cruise [ for my guys' Burger!]the 2nd of November on the Breeze and received 3 seperate answers. I have been told, yes, no problem, so long as the bag is sealed. I have been told that because it is a perishable product that it is not allowed, and I have been told that it might or might not be allowed on the ship, depending on who is checking because many will allow as long as it is not fresh fruit, vegetables, meat or cheese.

I'm going to bring a bag or 2 in my carry-on [along with olives, sugar free ketchup, and cocktail sauce, which I know are allowed] and hope for the best. If anyone else is going on the cruise who is on Keto, you can stop by my room, 7447, and I will be happy to share if I am allowed to bring it on board.

Again, thank you for posting this, and I am going to go read it right now!

Edited by vicky3vicky