Carnival Freedom -- Jamaica Port LGBT Tolerant Excursion?

dupy

Hi - first time cruiser here/first time traveling out of US. I would like some recommendations on excursions for Jamaica. I know that Jamaica has a bad rep for LGBT tolerance.. but I really don't want to stay on the ship. I was thinking an all inclusive resort would be the safest option and we really just want to relax with a drink anyway.. any tips? Should I just book a spa day for the boat? Are all Carnival excursions safe for anyone? Are we fine as long as no affection is shown?

Here are my choices for beach all-inclusive excursions:

• Riu Resort
  • Negril Experience - Margaritaville & Cliff Diver
  • Hard Rock Beach Club
  • "All Inclusive Family Beach Resort Getaway" (no resort name mentioned)

Thanks for any insight!

Been there several times, but not on a ship. I think if no PDA you should be just fine....negril will take up a whole day so I would just go to to relax at the resort :cool:

Many will say this place is not safe, don’t get off the ship.... just enjoy! Also, if you need a taxi, only red plates are official.

We did the Blue Hole with Pete Taylor tours had a great time. Docked in Ocho Rios and after the tour dropped off in shopping area and walked back to the ship. No problems at all and didn’t feel unsafe. I don’t remember seeing any LGBT folks but I would think no PDA and no one would really know anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Great House at Rose Hall excursion through Carnival last year when we were in Montego Bay. It included a couple of shopping stops. Had no issues whatsoever. In fact we had a wonderful time. Like any visit to a foreign country, just use common sense and I am sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide to do.

I have been on 15 Carnival cruises, have tons of friends, both straight and LGBT that have cruised Carnival and none of us have ever experienced or witnessed any issues on a Carnival or private excursion. I am confident that a Carnival excursion would be zero issue and would be the easiest way to go. This is a lovely island with lovely native people (and some not so lovely, very pushy/aggressive native people). It is worth an excursion to see beyond the confines of the ship but it is certainly a port that I want a guide with me at all times.

I'm sorry that you even have to ask a question regarding tolerance of your partner. Eventually (hopefully sooner than later) this won't even be a second thought. Things are moving in the right direction... slowly but surely :).

I will say that Jamaica is the only port I have ever stayed on the ship. The very first time we went off the ship there were armed guards, with machine guns. That alone made me a bit nervous. We went on our own to Margaritaville assuming that this would be a safe place, and it was. Hubby and I got drinks and our son (8) played on the man-made beach and we swam for hours. Had a great time! However, getting a taxi back we were told one price and halfway through the ride, we were told another (price doubled). The driver made it very clear that we would not get back to the ship unless we paid..... I believed him. That was the last time we ever got off in Jamaica.

If you go, please be careful. I know crime can happen anywhere, but I've never had an experience like the one I had there.