Balcony gaurantee rooms

Hi all,

We booked our cruise today with the option of "we pick your room" to save some money.

The RCI agent on the phone didn't know when we would receive our room assignment. Anyone know?

Also, do people generally have good luck with guarantee rooms, or are the rooms generally in bad areas or have bad layouts?

Thanks

We booked balcony guarantee on Mariner and ended up with spacious balcony. The room was back aft facing. The stateroom got good reviews due to extra large balcony. But I preferred to see where we are going with a room on the side so I just called and was able to switch us. Aso f as it's same category they can move you to another available room. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Also, do people generally have good luck with guarantee rooms, or are the rooms generally in bad areas or have bad layouts?

Assuming you booked under US rules, you can move to any other available cabin after assignment in the same category.

Are you flexible? Guarantees are best for flexible people. Here’s our experience. We can sail happily anywhere on the ship. High or low, way forward, way after or anywhere in between, and we are pretty noise tolerant, so we are comfortable booking gty rooms. I rather enjoy the anticipation awaiting an assignment. Overall, our gty assignments have been fine, and certainly they were good values vs selecting our cabin rates (or we wouldn’t have booked gty!). Sometimes the assignments are fast (next day or two) other times we wait a long time for a assignment. Rarely are we assigned before we make final payment. Used to be about 5-6 weeks out was common; lately many assignments seem to came closer to cruise date.

Once assigned, I do check to see if a “better” cabin in your exact category is available or becomes available; if so, I call and request a swap. Nice that they have allowed us to do so. Sometimes no other or no better cabins remain in that category, so we stay put. We have always enjoyed the cruises.

We originally booked inside guarantee, and were assigned a room about a month later.

Then we switched to ocean view balcony guarantee about 1.5 weeks before final payment. A couple days before final payment, we were assigned a room. When we switched to balcony guarantee I was watching all available rooms (by UK site) and there were lots of balcony rooms, but at our assignment, there were only a few left. SO it looks like they went and assigned a whole bunch of guarantees all at once.

We booked a OV Balcony GTY room on July 6 for an Oct sailing. We are currently 90 days from sailing and still no assignment. Like a previous poster, we are flexible with wherever our stateroom is located. All we want is an ocean view balcony so in booking the GTY rate we got an excellent deal. I am hoping to get an assignment soon but for nothing other than just knowing where our home away from home will bee for that week. If we don't get an assignment until right before sailing, that'll be okay too but by that time I will probably be a nervous wreck thinking we have no room even though I know better...

We booked a OV Balcony GTY room on July 6 for an Oct sailing. We are currently 90 days from sailing and still no assignment. Like a previous poster, we are flexible with wherever our stateroom is located. All we want is an ocean view balcony so in booking the GTY rate we got an excellent deal. I am hoping to get an assignment soon but for nothing other than just knowing where our home away from home will bee for that week. If we don't get an assignment until right before sailing, that'll be okay too but by that time I will probably be a nervous wreck thinking we have no room even though I know better...

Be sure to read post 4 from biker.