Photo review of a 7-day cruise in the Baltic Sea with Costa Mediterranea

MamaS

Thanks for taking the time to share your review and your beautiful pictures. We will be on this ship and Costa for the first time next year, so your review makes us feel better about this choice.

Hello MamaS, thank you for sharing your impressions of the Mediterranea, a ship I didn‘t sail yet. A lot of your experience I recognise from other Costa ships. Yes, if you’re a fan of the Italian kitchen you’re absolutely on the right cruise line and yes there is some space for improvements in planning, communications - and website btw. So it is always a very positive surprise for me as well that Costa is able to avoid long queues. As far as I know the hostesses who are responsible for the guests of their language do the translations. So the quality is depending on the skills of one person only. Yet I only once found one Italian officer, who did not (want to?) speak English aboard of a Costa. From one employee I know that she speaks a few words Italian only and that among the staff usually English is used. Indeed it would be a good idea to give waiters, barkeepers and so on language pins as well, I always solved it by using English and it worked. You asked about the water for Americans: who booked in the USA however has a special drinking package: water USA - which can be found on the cruise card, as long as this passenger hasn’t bought another package - and this package offers just free water in the MDR. Especially seen the prices of drinks (from coffee over soft drinks to wine and cocktails) compared to the package prices I always buy one and get so much water as I want. You can’t compare the behaviour of the staff with that on American ships, but I personally have no problem with that more restrained behaviour. Thanks again, your review gives besides the impressions of the Mediterranea also a good idea of the cruises in the Baltic Sea.

You asked about the water for Americans: who booked in the USA however has a special drinking package: water USA - which can be found on the cruise card, as long as this passenger hasn’t bought another package - and this package offers just free water in the MDR.

I am happy you are finding my review useful! And thank you Stefan_Varong for clarifying about the water package for Americans!

enhance

Another "wasted" area where you could find silence and solitude

Thank you for taking the time to do this review with pictures. I have sailed with Carnival and the Costa ships are similar.

This area is the same as the Carnival Spirit class with the area behind the theatre used as a quiet area.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your review MamaS.

We are looking at taking this same itinerary this summer, but on a different ship.

I noticed that the first two days and last two days are in Stockholm. I am puzzled as to why the itinerary is like this. Are these treated as port days?