Attessa IV

For those who may not know it, the good ship Persephone was restored a few years ago and has permanent resting spot in Gibsons (Landing) short few paces from Molly's Reach.

Just a couple of local lore, Bruno got caught sneaking on to the local,golf club so many times, he was forced to join the club or they were going to charge him with trespass. I know people who used to party with him and he was quite the partyer. When Constable Constable exited stage right the Gibsons RCMP detachment got a new sargent, Sargent Sargent....I kid you not.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, he will be but he will need to get away on weekends.;)

I was reading about that contract last night and it occurred to me that this was a announcement of the previous government's shipbuilding program. However the need is much greater now that HMCS Protecteur had an engine problem off Hawaii a couple of years ago and had to be towed back of Esquimalt. Then last year HMCS Provider was deemed unseaworthy and paid off last year in Halifax. So the RCN's need is pretty great.

• 3 months later...

Had a ride on the new Polish built Salish Orca from Powell River to Comox today. I must admit that I had some apprehension about a ship built in Poland that had to go thru a lot of modifications before it was certified by Transport Canada. I understand that BCF flew 3 different teams of overseers first class with their wives and they still couldn't get right....even a number of doors had to be swapped out because they were not of the right classification, I mean what were the BCF overseers doing over there. The work that BCF had to do to be certified by Transport Canada has been discribed by Deb Marshall as 'warranty work'.;)

OK, that out of the way I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with the ship particularly when compared to our last local ship building effort, the Island Sky, which still shakes and rattles like an unbalanced washing machine.

The Orca Spirt has a rather unique ramping system to two very well lit car decks. There are are two elevators for people who have difficulty with stairs....and they both work . We had some moderate seas and the ship rode very well and very quietly. The food service was decent and the crew friendly. The decor is very pleasant and the seating very comfortable. An new innovation is TV's on which a life jacket demonstration is shown just as the ship leaves the terminal. The windows on the passenger deck extend from the deck head to about 2 feet from deck so the cabin space is very bright. An point of interest to me was the height of the deck head on the passenger areas....I am 6’ and I could reach up and touch it. They need to get the air handling balanced but that is one if the few criticisms I would have of the ship. The other would be that every time an exterior door opens a buzzer goes off so it seemed for the whole trip buzzers were going off. However, other than these two things I must say that I was very impressed with the new Salish Orca and I am sure that her other 2 sisters will be equally impressive.

On a personal Dudette and I have sold our home in Sechelt and have purchased a home on the Crown Isle golf course in Courtenay. This move will occur next month and has been brought on by the 'aging process' and a recognition that we need to be closer to family, particularly with Dudette's MS condition. We are going to miss Sechelt and our lovely view over Georgia Strait but are excited about our new home.

• 8 months later...