Full day in Victoria - 8am til midnight - Butchart Gardens, day or night tour?

We will have a full day in port in May - we have seen Butchart Gardens a few years ago in September, and I have always wanted to return in the spring to see the difference. Fall was beautiful. Since we have day and night, does anyone have a suggestion as to which time frame would be more beautiful? We would also like to do some type of city tour, looking for any suggestions you may have. Thank you for any help.:D

We will have a full day in port in May - we have seen Butchart Gardens a few years ago in September, and I have always wanted to return in the spring to see the difference. Fall was beautiful. Since we have day and night, does anyone have a suggestion as to which time frame would be more beautiful? We would also like to do some type of city tour, looking for any suggestions you may have. Thank you for any help.:D

Daytime, no question about it. Who looks at flowers under artificial light by choice!?

If you're keen photogs you could try and time it for 'golden hour' (tour the gardens first, figure out your fave spots, go back to those for pics again) but after dark, despite various lights put in place, is vastly inferior to daytime (the only reason I've ever been back at night is the fireworks - see the gardens in daytime, go for dinner, come back later for the show).

City tour - if in doubt, HOHO. That way you can get off and on and make a day of it. With relatively late evenings in May you could probably HOHO almost until they shut down before heading to Butchart and still have 2-3 hours good daylight at the gardens.