Aft balcony for Canal cruise?

w8ing2cruz

Starting to plan our bucket list Canal cruise. We always book aft facing cabins as we LOVE the quiet, wake watching they provide.

We want to do the full transit 2019. I've been looking at all the available cruises and all of the afts are sold out already.

Looks like the one ship that does the most trips is HAL Volendam - the way that ship is configured there are hardly any aft cabins.

Any suggestions for different cabin selection for this cruise? It will be our longest to date.

Thanks.

My opinion of balconies in general, is that if you spend the transit on your balcony you will see only 25-40% of the activity and features of the canal. You need to get up and move around. EM

I'll second that. We went in 2013 and due to cost we actually had a inside cabin. During the transit I was all over the ship to see all the activities. I have no doubt I would have done that even if I had the balcony as it restricts to seeing the transit from just one perspective. We are going through again this December and once again opting for the inside cabin.

While I have enjoyed an aft balcony on a cruise or two, the benefits of an aft balcony would be great on the way to the Canal and of course after you leave the Canal. However on the day you transit a balcony would not really be that beneficial, IMO. Particularly if you have never been through the Canal before, I think you would almost find the narration of the transit somewhat disconnected since what you will be viewing won't be seeing what is being described until much later (if at all). Most of the time the person providing the narration is on the bridge or at least somewhere forward, so all the narration is given with a forward perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
We were just on the Coral Princess and we would go aft to the empty space on Dolphin deck. Great viewing with only a few people back there. It was an amazing viewing spot. We could hear the lecturer as well.

Good to know. Thanks