Navigator Runs Aground?!

RachelG

Just saw on a friend’s Silversea thread I am following that the Navigator ran aground while trying to sail out of Bali. She thinks the ship is ok, that it is a tide issue perhaps. Is anyone onboard who can give information? CWN perhaps?

We were on the Navigator last year in Greenland and Canada. Always sad when this sort of thing happens as it can wreck the itinerary . . . The ship was excellent, we thought, apart from the lack of a forward-facing observation lounge and terrace, and terrible vibration issues on all decks at the back of the ship.

Latest information that we have is that they will be in Bali until March 10th at least. Special divers have to come farom Jakarta to examine the hull. The most plausible explanation we have heard for the grounding is that the ship delayed its departure to waitmfor passengers who had been delayed. The tide started to fall before they sailed. Supposedly they veered off course to avoid a sailboat and that caused the problems. The tides here can vary quite a bit and the channel is fairly narrow.

We certainly hope they will be able to resume their itinerary quickly.

Edited by Emtbsam
typo

Latest information that we have is that they will be in Bali until March 10th at least. Special divers have to come farom Jakarta to examine the hull. The most plausible explanation we have heard for the grounding is that the ship delayed its departure to waitmfor passengers who had been delayed. The tide started to fall before they sailed. Supposedly they veered off course to avoid a sailboat and that caused the problems. The tides here can vary quite a bit and the channel is fairly narrow.

We certainly hope they will be able to resume their itinerary quickly.

Thanks for the update. That's a real shame for all concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Navigator is underway. Talk about fake news. Didn't I read on here that the divers wouldn't be there until the 10th.

Yes you did read that on my post and I appologize for the inaccurate information. I had received that information from the head of the shore excursion desk, and at the time, it seemed reasonable. It is indeed good news that the ship suffered no damage and that they were able to continue on sooner.