TravelPro Luggage

High C's

Have any of you ever used TravelPro luggage? If so, do you recommend it? I am looking for quality luggage that is LIGHTWEIGHT (obviously to allow more weight on the inside - shoes - clothes - toilettries, etc.:rolleyes:

But I don't want something that will fall apart. I have a lovely set of Samsonite that is a few years old now. No complaints other than the weight of the cases - they are heavy even when empty!

Now, with the airlines imposing stricter regulations on the weight of luggage, I think its time to look at something else. Anyone with any suggestions?

I did ask this before on these boards, but didn't get much of a response. All ideas are most welcome!

If you have a major department store, or a luggage store somewhere close to you, I would suggest you go there to see and feel for yourself. Most of what is being sold these days is a lot lighter wieght than just a couple of years ago.

I'm not currently in the market for luggage (but always looking!), if I were, I would seriously look at the fairly new line of Samsonite "Spinner" pieces. I've never been a big fan of Samsonite, but after wheeling and lifting one of these pieces, I liked it a lot. I was recently looking for suggestions to make to an aunt, her being 70 and travels solo, I think these pieces would be excellent for her (or anyone).

As far as brand, I think Travelpro is a fairly decent brand, I've never had one of their pieces. You can see a lot of their line on www.ebags.com however, I would never buy a piece sight unseen. You can see a lot of different lines there, compare prices, but to be honest with you, you can get pretty much the same price almost anywhere. Unless you can find a free shipping deal, the online luggage sites are no cheaper than department stores.

I always pack my heavy toiletry bottles in my carry on, I'd rather use the weight allowance for my clothes. Plus, I'm always worried about spillage, not only staining of the clothes, but then I'd have to use icky shampoo for the week!

My husband is a retired pilot and my daughter is a pilot for UPS. My husband used Travelpro when he was working, and still uses it. My daughter loves the brand.

That said, I think some of Travelpro's lines are more durable than others. We use the "Crew" luggage.

BTW, I just found a great deal on a piece of Travelpro Crew luggage at TJ Maxx.

I started with a garmet bag and have added peices as they go on sale at Macy's. Macy's seems to have really good prices and I get point for shopping there as well - so double bonus.

Also, I got the brown/tan color pieces, just to stand out a bit from the crowd. Next purchase will be the largest suitcase. They are not lighweight, but they have lots of extras and are holding up really great considering the amount of travel we do - a lot of in and out of the trunk of the car, especially.

We have a few pieces of TravelPro and they have stood up well. They are a little heavier than I would like.

I have seen some advertisements for a new line that Delsey came out with. I plan to go to Macy's to check it out. It looks interesting.

We bought a travelpro rolling garment bag because they made one of largest ones (depth) available. It actually holds hubby's tux and dinner jacket, suit, sports coat and slacks, and 3 formals, 4 cocktail/ dressy dresses and a couple of pantsuits & dresses for me. When we were going on our first transatlantic, we got the 29 inch travelpro suitcase as we were going to be gone for about 3 weeks. Last year we added the travelpro rolling carry on. The luggage holds up beautifully and actually couples together very well for pulling. It is a little heavier - but when we bought it the weight restrictions weren't as tight as they are now.

We bought a travelpro rolling garment bag because they made one of largest ones (depth) available. It actually holds hubby's tux and dinner jacket, suit, sports coat and slacks, and 3 formals, 4 cocktail/ dressy dresses and a couple of pantsuits & dresses for me. When we were going on our first transatlantic, we got the 29 inch travelpro suitcase as we were going to be gone for about 3 weeks. Last year we added the travelpro rolling carry on. The luggage holds up beautifully and actually couples together very well for pulling. It is a little heavier - but when we bought it the weight restrictions weren't as tight as they are now.

Thanks everyone for the input! Unfortunately, it is the weight restrictions that worries me. That's why I'm looking for another line of luggage. My Samsonite set is in perfect condition, but FAR too heavy even when empty.

Any suggestions of other lines of luggage that is exceptionally light would be most appreciated!

I agree that weight could be an issue. Another person suggested ebags.com for luggage information. I think it is a good place to start your search because it has the weight of the luggage plus reviews from people who have bought that piece of luggage.

I agree that weight could be an issue. Another person suggested ebags.com for luggage information. I think it is a good place to start your search because it has the weight of the luggage plus reviews from people who have bought that piece of luggage.

Thank you bandicat! I'll check it out.

I have gone through so much luggage in the past 40 yrs that when I switched to Travel Pro I have not bought any since. As a retired airline employee we travel extentsively and have checked our large suitcase many times. We have used Atlantic, Samsonite, and others that did not hold up to all the baggage handlers - from tears, major scruffs, handles falling off.

I love the size of the large Travel Pro (not the extra large piece) and have 2 - rolling carry on pieces. We check the large piece, my DH golf clubs (in a rolling bag cover) and carry on the other 2. When we are traveling together, of course. Because we never know if we are going to get on because of stand-by status our carry on have most of what we would need for extra days away from home. I do not pack light as the large piece weighs nearly 50lbs every trip. Plus I add shoes and clothes to the golf bag cover's pockets.

Yes, I would and will buy more Travel pro luggage, looking at the rolling garment bag now for my next cruise. Since I am traveling without my DH I need the extra space for clothes and such.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

The one I am considering is called "WalkAbout Lite" (or something very much like that). My luggage is in great shape, but weighs an absolute ton even when empty. I know I would NEVER get past the airline "weight police" using this luggage!:rolleyes:

Another bag I am considering is Eagle Creek. It seems quite pricey, but gets great reviews on e-Bags. It is also light weight.

• 12 years later...

Hello everyone!

My carry-on and check-in luggages finally bit the dust after 12 years. The extension handle broke off on carry-on bag. The handlers finally find a way to take a wheel off the checked-in bag. Check-in bag weighted 15 pounds.

I just got a set of TravelPro, T-Pro® Bold™ 2 22" Expandable Rollaboard® and T-Pro® Bold™ 2 25" Expandable Rollaboard® from Amazon.

Interesting set of luggages. And I like how they were designed. I can put the 22" into 25" to save space to be put in my closet. Total weight for both bags are 14 pounds. Not bad...

I will be using them this coming summer and see how they handle the handlers trying to damage them at the airports...

Edited by TaubBaer

I travel a lot. I’m in Oman at the moment. In the last few months I’ve flown to China, Australia, Hawaii, Oman and several US internal trips. I’ve been using Travelpro for several years. I have a Maxlite 4 series 22” spinner carryon and a 25” spinner Pullman. They are light and very durable. I’ve lost count of the number of times they’ve been across the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in the market for a new bag a few years ago; the PacSafe Venturesafe II 45L is a good “cabin max” sized carry on, great security features as well. This is their new model, which looks a bit better and more stealthy: https://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-exp45-anti-theft-45l-carry-on-travel-pack/60321100.html?cgid=bags#prefn1=features_and_specs_volume&prefv1=31+-+50+Liter&start=1

Another bag I bought in Germany was at the Decathlon in Berlin Alexanderplatz, this is not the exact model, but very similar: https://www.decathlon.de/sporttasche-hardcase-105-l-id_8350452.html

I will look at TravelPro for my mum, though, so thanks for the tips also...

I was in the market for a new bag a few years ago; the PacSafe Venturesafe II 45L is a good “cabin max” sized carry on, great security features as well. This is their new model, which looks a bit better and more stealthy: https://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-exp45-anti-theft-45l-carry-on-travel-pack/60321100.html?cgid=bags#prefn1=features_and_specs_volume&prefv1=31+-+50+Liter&start=1

Another bag I bought in Germany was at the Decathlon in Berlin Alexanderplatz, this is not the exact model, but very similar: https://www.decathlon.de/sporttasche-hardcase-105-l-id_8350452.html

I will look at TravelPro for my mum, though, so thanks for the tips also...

The things I liked about the PacSafe is that it has a wire mesh built into the fabric, so it’s cut safe also, and it’s pretty light weight too.

Did two weeks carry on only around London (and out west to Andover), Amsterdam and Berlin, by plane, train, ferry, and bus, with not much hassles. I even packed another bag inside the PacSafe, and had my good shoes and a suit for the Queen’s Birthday Parade in London. Quite spacious.

The other bag was bought because I ran out of space in the PacSafe and my other carryon for all the souvenirs 🤣

The bought bag (around €49.00ish) is also great because it has four handles, one on each side. The base handle also acts as a stabilising foot if the bag is fully packed and vertical.

The new models I cannot attest for, but if they are improvements on the ones I bought in 2015/16, then they are well worth the investment.

If it’s anything, I also have a Camelbak HAWG as my EDC, and it too came along on my EU trip (yes, at one stage I had three pieces of carryon without surcharges 🤣) Total weight, if I remember correctly, was 14kg altogether.

Nick

Brunei

• 2 weeks later...