Money for Dubai taxi

alidor

• 7 months later...
Would a taxi driver in the US accept AED? No. So don't expect a driver to accept foreign currency. If they do agree to the conversion rate won't be favorable to you. Just get some AED at a ATM.

What he said.

And don't expect your driver to speak too much English, apart from understanding directions or names of hotels and landmarks.

• 3 months later...
Does the American uber app work in Dubai , or do you need to download something different?

Helaine

Taxis here are plentiful, clean, safe, metered and inexpensive.

Unless there is a major event on it it is raining, I never found an Uber neccessary

What he said.

And don't expect your driver to speak too much English, apart from understanding directions or names of hotels and landmarks.

I think if they speak any English they are doing well. I don’t speak any Arabic!

That said I had no trouble communicating with taxi drivers, train ticket sellers, shop assistants etc. everybody was very helpful. Don’t forget to get a card from your hotel with their name written in local language.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Don’t forget to get a card from your hotel with their name written in local language.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many drivers are Pakistani wo understand enough English to understand the hotel name. But getting a card is a good idea. Your pronunciation may differ from the one the drivers are used to.

Have Dirhams in hand when you are at Dubai. It is easier for transactions. Most taxi drivers don't speak English well. It is not difficult in Dubai to exchange currency. There are many currency exchanges and money transfer services all around Dubai due to the high number of immigrants. Al Ansari Exchange is a popular money exchange firm with various branches throughout UAE.

Many drivers are Pakistani wo understand enough English to understand the hotel name. But getting a card is a good idea. Your pronunciation may differ from the one the drivers are used to.

Too true?

Shangri-La Hotel? No idea!

ShanGorilla!!! Of course, Mamsir.

(Mamsir is another word here. You figure it out. )😉

• 1 month later...
Taxis here are plentiful, clean, safe, metered and inexpensive.

Unless there is a major event on it it is raining, I never found an Uber neccessary

But that wasn't my question.......

• 1 month later...

IS uber app works fine

No need to translate just type in your destination and the Uber driver has Google maps to get there

Care shows in ADD but no sorry about conversion

Your credit card does that

One taxi driver wanted to charge 3x what Uber wanted

I showed him what Uber was to charge and he put the meter on and ended up costing about 1.5 x Uber

Use Uber!!!

the locals we met used and recommended Uber, they didn’t use taxis.

IS uber app works fine

No need to translate just type in your destination and the Uber driver has Google maps to get there

Care shows in ADD but no sorry about conversion

Your credit card does that

One taxi driver wanted to charge 3x what Uber wanted

I showed him what Uber was to charge and he put the meter on and ended up costing about 1.5 x Uber

Use Uber!!!