Scooter in Mini Suite? (GEM)

disneynutssss

We are traveling on the GEM on 4/21/18 and we have an obstructed ocean view handicap room already booked.

We received the "bid to upgrade" email and realize that if we bid and get accepted that we will not be guaranteed a handicap room.

My question is, has anyone ever stayed in a Mini Suite with a scooter successfully on the GEM? I would love to have the balcony, but if I can't get the scooter in the room or be comfortable with the scooter in the room then I don't want to try for the upgrade.

Thank you :)

Edited by disneynutssss

The handicapped stateroom has more than just space, it has an accessible bathroom that many people also need. We have been offered up-sells many times but I cannot give up the handicapped stateroom because my husband needs the special shower (roll in and with shower seat) and bars next to the toilet.

I guess it depends on what limitations you have as to whether or not a "regular" mini suite will work for you.

The handicapped stateroom has more than just space, it has an accessible bathroom that many people also need. We have been offered up-sells many times but I cannot give up the handicapped stateroom because my husband needs the special shower (roll in and with shower seat) and bars next to the toilet.

I guess it depends on what limitations you have as to whether or not a "regular" mini suite will work for you.

Oohh, wasn't thinking about that! Thank you!

We are traveling on the GEM on 4/21/18 and we have an obstructed ocean view handicap room already booked.

We received the "bid to upgrade" email and realize that if we bid and get accepted that we will not be guaranteed a handicap room.

My question is, has anyone ever stayed in a Mini Suite with a scooter successfully on the GEM? I would love to have the balcony, but if I can't get the scooter in the room or be comfortable with the scooter in the room then I don't want to try for the upgrade.

Thank you :)

Things to consider with booking when bidding on a NCL upgrade and not being gauranteed a HC room :

• The bathroom has a step to get in and out .
  • The bathroom doesn't have grab bars nor a raised toilet. A walker won't fit through the bathroom door and even if it did there's not enough room to use a walker. The shower is very small which is difficult to fit a free standing shower chair (provide free from NCL) and has a 4" lip.
  • Though NCL's website states a standard room entrance door is 26" wide that measurement is from door frame to door frame. The balcony will not have a ramp so the scooter cannot go out onto it and the sliding door will have a approximately a 6" or higher step over. You have to deduct 2" as the door does not open flush to the wall so the total actual clearance is 24". Meaning your scooter has to beless than 24" in width to even get it into the cabin and it can't be left outside as it violates SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea ) regulations.
  • The balcony will not have a ramp so the scooter cannot go out onto it and the sliding door will have a approximately a 6" or higher step over

Being that you're not gauranteed to get an HC Cabin with the bid do you really want to give up the accessible cabin you already have ?