Discovery second time round

This was our second time on Discovery the first being in the Med last September. We found no reduction in service etc. although the wine list has been reduced but still OK.

We flew premium from BHX and found that the service had improved and was slicker than in previous years also the ships premier onboard check in worked well, which was not the case last time.

We had a JS (8086) which was a little tired but fantastic position and could not believe the balcony size a lot larger than last time in 8076 (port side) with two sun loungers two chairs and a table.

We had no problem with noise or cigarette smoke from the crews recreational area on deck five which I believe was a problem for deck six stern passengers.

The majority of the staff, as we have always found, were pretty good and worked very hard to keep us well supplied even though some passengers could not wait:rolleyes:. We meet a lot of the staff off the other ships and it is nice to be recognised.

Entertainment was for us OK although we felt that the show team did not match what we have seen in the past but we like the big production west end numbers.

Food we found excellent, portions appear to have increased from last year, eat mainly in 47 and they are now asking if you prefer a particular table or waiter which was a big no no last time, did see them turn away a man with no socks bit sexist IMO as most ladies wear open shoes, also did the speciality restaurant's which again were ok.

Fellow passengers a good mix with just a few well behaved children, did not see any drunks just one woman with bare feet on the table in the live room:mad: noted a lot more formal attire on dress to impress night than previous cruises.

Ports of call we have visited most of them previously, several times, so just go for a walk, but I must report on St Maarten which is starting to recover with a few facilities operating, water taxi, sun loungers and some cafes but the airport beach no longer has sand:o. Then we have Tortola which was heart-breaking, only if you see it can you realise the devastation that wind can do, no infrastructure has been left untouched, schools have gone and been replaced with tented classrooms, for those of you who have been before and recall the area outside the administration buildings its full of totally destroyed cars, hundreds of them, the people themselves are very resilient and pleased to be ok but cannot understand why they are not receiving aid.

Moving on weather in the first week was not as we have had in the past with lots of rain and wind but still very hot this improved for the second week.

Could not believe our good fortune for the return flight as all but our flight had major delays this coupled with a tail wind of 150mph and only thirty mins for luggage got us home early the pilot was very informative letting us know that our speed was just below the sound barrier he even tipped his wings to show us a distant storm, nice flight back.

Bottom line great ship, crew, food and passable entertainment.

Small concern was supposed to meet up with So,ton Saint on change over but the cabin he had booked was occupied just hope he gave us the wrong number and was not involved in a double booking.

Thanks for a great review. Can't wait till we are on Discovery in July. Can't imagine Mayo beach without sand, we had a fun day there last year. I was so sad to read about Tortola, been twice and love it. Last year walked to the botanical gardens and it rained. A lady came and took us into the council building where they were having a meeting, and gave us shelter. So kind.

Glad you had a good time pensioncruiser but sorry to hear about the show team not being up to scratch - I believe this was mentioned by other cruisers last year as well I hope this isn't Marella changing the format

We were in Roadtown twice in January from Celebration and it was heartbreaking However I do know that GB government has sent money and also to Anguilla so sorry they don't feel it's enough Looking on Marine Traffic Marella are the only ships visiting BVI but pleased they are trying to support them in a small way

Good and fair review pensioncruiser.

Pleased to know that the aft JS was that good. We are in 8080 on D2 shortly, and flying premium so we are happy with your comments.

We also eat mainly in 47 as we find the buffet too much of a bun fight. Interesting about the level of formal attire. I was in two minds but will take the DJ.

I saw the recent update on Tortola on the BBC and they said 2 major lines are refusing to call there, which is a shame because they clearly need all the help they can get. Out of sight out of mind perhaps?

Thanks for a comprehensive review.

This was our second time on Discovery the first being in the Med last September. We found no reduction in service etc. although the wine list has been reduced but still OK.

We flew premium from BHX and found that the service had improved and was slicker than in previous years also the ships premier onboard check in worked well, which was not the case last time.

We had a JS (8086) which was a little tired but fantastic position and could not believe the balcony size a lot larger than last time in 8076 (port side) with two sun loungers two chairs and a table.

We had no problem with noise or cigarette smoke from the crews recreational area on deck five which I believe was a problem for deck six stern passengers.

The majority of the staff, as we have always found, were pretty good and worked very hard to keep us well supplied even though some passengers could not wait:rolleyes:. We meet a lot of the staff off the other ships and it is nice to be recognised.

Entertainment was for us OK although we felt that the show team did not match what we have seen in the past but we like the big production west end numbers.

Food we found excellent, portions appear to have increased from last year, eat mainly in 47 and they are now asking if you prefer a particular table or waiter which was a big no no last time, did see them turn away a man with no socks bit sexist IMO as most ladies wear open shoes, also did the speciality restaurant's which again were ok.

Fellow passengers a good mix with just a few well behaved children, did not see any drunks just one woman with bare feet on the table in the live room:mad: noted a lot more formal attire on dress to impress night than previous cruises.

Ports of call we have visited most of them previously, several times, so just go for a walk, but I must report on St Maarten which is starting to recover with a few facilities operating, water taxi, sun loungers and some cafes but the airport beach no longer has sand:o. Then we have Tortola which was heart-breaking, only if you see it can you realise the devastation that wind can do, no infrastructure has been left untouched, schools have gone and been replaced with tented classrooms, for those of you who have been before and recall the area outside the administration buildings its full of totally destroyed cars, hundreds of them, the people themselves are very resilient and pleased to be ok but cannot understand why they are not receiving aid.

Moving on weather in the first week was not as we have had in the past with lots of rain and wind but still very hot this improved for the second week.

Could not believe our good fortune for the return flight as all but our flight had major delays this coupled with a tail wind of 150mph and only thirty mins for luggage got us home early the pilot was very informative letting us know that our speed was just below the sound barrier he even tipped his wings to show us a distant storm, nice flight back.

Bottom line great ship, crew, food and passable entertainment.

Small concern was supposed to meet up with So,ton Saint on change over but the cabin he had booked was occupied just hope he gave us the wrong number and was not involved in a double booking.

Hi Pension Cruiser

have just returned home after a second cruise like your self of the Discovery 1 and totely agree with you nothing has changed the only things i observed the waiting staff were in short supply and also were serving wines as well, but there was a increase in commis waiters learning the job witch will make sense as 50% are going to transfer over to Explorer (from the horses mouth jonathan the catering manager come purser ) sorry i missed you yes we did embark 12-30 pm and yes they doubled booked the cabin i booked a year ago yes the were very apologetic and had upgrade to deck seven cabin 7636 stern balc with a letter to take to my T.A to pay back the £45 like your cabin and the same as deck six 6626 two sun beds two chairs and a table and big enough to hold a disco also no soot what so ever did i see, i did walk around the coffee pot a few times looking for you but once again missed you, did try the surf and turf for the big one very enjoyable did asked about Dream and Celebration when are they going but apparently being kept on as traditional cruise ships hope your well

Howard ps we also had a bottle of bubbly in the room :halo:

Hi Howard and welcome back looks like we are destined never to meet, we left the CP about 1315 and I still have your anniversary card:( hope you both had a good day, I did meet the couple in your cabin, it was only a couple, and I think from what they said you did ok as 6626 was very noisy and smelt of cigarette smoke from deck 5.

Mrs PC has a bit of a cold but I had no ill effects from the flight back.

So we are now looking forward to the Celebration in Sep and booking a couple of cruises for next year when the brochure is out next month but will not be long haul again and yes I've said that before.:cool: