Booking at Travelshop and Excursions

Honestly WHAT a Faff. - I booked my June cruise at a Thomsons Travel shop as frankly the website is rubbish. Anyhoo - I was not aware that if I booked that way I could do NOTHING online (well my bad for not investigating that first).

Yesterday I went to book car parking and some excursions and could not believe that you just booked the excursion for the day. - No idea what time it left could be early morning, mid day or late afternoon. - Never Ever come across this on a cruise before. Having endured 45mins in the travel shop I sincerely hope that the cruise is better than the service I have had so far.

Just looking for reassurance that once on board the experience is far far far better than that of the travel shops. :o

Honestly WHAT a Faff. - I booked my June cruise at a Thomsons Travel shop as frankly the website is rubbish. Anyhoo - I was not aware that if I booked that way I could do NOTHING online (well my bad for not investigating that first).

Yesterday I went to book car parking and some excursions and could not believe that you just booked the excursion for the day. - No idea what time it left could be early morning, mid day or late afternoon. - Never Ever come across this on a cruise before. Having endured 45mins in the travel shop I sincerely hope that the cruise is better than the service I have had so far.

Just looking for reassurance that once on board the experience is far far far better than that of the travel shops. :o

you can book excursions online

https://cruiseexcursions.tui.co.uk/?_ga=2.65638382.1585636113.1520351215-1039703397.1520351215

most of them leave early in the morning but sometimes there can be the half day ones departing in the afternoons, bt times are not known til onboard the ship

The excursions are either a full day or half day If the ship leaves early evening or late afternoon the half days are usually morning and leave usually half an hour after docking or an hour after anchoring If the ship is in til later in the evening the excursions if 4hrs can be in the afternoon as well if enough cruisers book. If this is the case and your tickets are for morning and you prefer the afternoon you can change them at destination services on the ship once they arrive in your cabin or vice versa. You use your booking reference on your confirmation on the link given above to book on line. Excursions are little more expensive when booked on the ship but you may wish to attend the seminar on your second day (usually the sea day) to find out about the trips available from the Destinations Team Enjoy

you can book excursions online

https://cruiseexcursions.tui.co.uk/?_ga=2.65638382.1585636113.1520351215-1039703397.1520351215

most of them leave early in the morning but sometimes there can be the half day ones departing in the afternoons, bt times are not known til onboard the ship

Thanks for that vital sign. The Thompson’s staff told me I was not allowed to do that.:rolleyes:

The excursions are either a full day or half day If the ship leaves early evening or late afternoon the half days are usually morning and leave usually half an hour after docking or an hour after anchoring If the ship is in til later in the evening the excursions if 4hrs can be in the afternoon as well if enough cruisers book. If this is the case and your tickets are for morning and you prefer the afternoon you can change them at destination services on the ship once they arrive in your cabin or vice versa. You use your booking reference on your confirmation on the link given above to book on line. Excursions are little more expensive when booked on the ship but you may wish to attend the seminar on your second day (usually the sea day) to find out about the trips available from the Destinations Team Enjoy

Yes it was one of the half day ones I wanted to go on but ONLY if it was in the morning. If they cannot guarantee that I won’t book. Seams a crazy system. All of the other cruises I have been on you can pick a time. I know exactly which excursion I want to do so will just wait to see the situation on board.

Are you flying to join the ship ?

From Glasgow ? Otherwise, if you live in Edinburgh I would assume you can get to EDI conveniently leaving the car at home ?

Although we haven't tried it as yet, there is now an additional (terminal destination) stop on public service bus X24 through Kincardine on Forth, to GLA airport.

Is there nothing similar over your way ?

From Glasgow ? Otherwise, if you live in Edinburgh I would assume you can get to EDI conveniently leaving the car at home ?

Although we haven't tried it as yet, there is now an additional (terminal destination) stop on public service bus X24 through Kincardine on Forth, to GLA airport.

No going from Newcastle. But parking is all sorted now thanks

We are also going from Newcastle - parking is so expensive! £12 per day if booked direct but we paid £10 per day with Thomsons. Looked at many alternatives but decided to go with this for peace of mind.

That's interesting WCM. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Always interested in ways to avoid taking the car to the airport! We are in Perth and know we can get to EDI by bus from the Park and Ride at Halbeath. For Glasgow we could take the Megabus to Buchanan St. then the airport bus from there but just wondered about that X24 as our son lives in Falkirk and could leave the car at his house. Where does it start from?

Always interested in ways to avoid taking the car to the airport! We are in Perth and know we can get to EDI by bus from the Park and Ride at Halbeath. For Glasgow we could take the Megabus to Buchanan St. then the airport bus from there but just wondered about that X24 as our son lives in Falkirk and could leave the car at his house. Where does it start from?

I've scanned the outward journey timetables, attached.

Nearly all start in St.Andrews, with a couple of early morning services from Glenrothes, and one from Cupar railway station connecting at Glenrothes.

Reference Falkirk - you can join at nearby Forth Valley Royal Hospital which is a scheduled pickup/setdown for the X24 service.

Do you have a return flight arrival time - I can look up the times from GLA ?

Thank you very much WCM. I'm afraid the scanned pages haven't appeared but that pickup at FVH is of interest for the future. Will have a look at that online.

We have already booked parking at Glasgow for our next cruise though but thanks anyway.

If the scanned pages don't appear, flag it up please.

You can find details online, however it seems to be focused on today's buses - the complete Mon.-Fri./Saturday/Sunday timetable has eluded me, so far !!!

Have found it online, thank you![emoji4]

Yes it was one of the half day ones I wanted to go on but ONLY if it was in the morning. If they cannot guarantee that I won’t book. Seams a crazy system. All of the other cruises I have been on you can pick a time. I know exactly which excursion I want to do so will just wait to see the situation on board.

Have you tried sourcing the same trip through a private company ? We rarely use the cruise organised trips

• 3 weeks later...

If you prebook it then find out it is an afternoon one you can cancel at destination services anytime up to 24 hours before no problem. If it is something you really want to do it might be safer to book before you go as it may be sold out by then.

If you prebook it then find out it is an afternoon one you can cancel at destination services anytime up to 24 hours before no problem. If it is something you really want to do it might be safer to book before you go as it may be sold out by then.

Hi Sheila, Thanks for that info I should have thought about that myself :rolleyes:

Jackie