Need Help Finding Special Island Foods

latebloomer56

OK this trip I want to try some other items only in Hawaii. Last trip I had the shaved ice, wonderful (not the snow cone we have) soft and just so good. Had kalua pig (luau roasted pig) love pork so enjoyed and poki tried a few from different areas all nice not fishy, but won't go out of my way to get again.

Now I need to find laulau ,butterfish & pork wrapped in taro & ti leaves steamed all day. Also must find spam & rice wrapped in nori thinks it's muspi not completely sure. Was told it was everywhere last time and never found it.

Any suggestions on where to locate these food items even if I need to hunt up a food truck. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Laura

You don’t mention which island you plan to visit. In any case pretty much any place that serves a plate lunch you should be able to find some of what you’re looking for. The spam and rice item is called spam musubi. Also, it’s shave ice (without the “d”) and poke, not poki. I also like loco moco and lomi lomi salmon when on the islands. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now I need to find laulau ,butterfish & pork wrapped in taro & ti leaves steamed all day. Also must find spam & rice wrapped in nori thinks it's muspi not completely sure. Was told it was everywhere last time and never found it.

Your history of posts shows you on the April 21st POA cruise. You have come to the right place for food ideas on Maui, as there are several contributors here who can point you in the right direction. We aren't endorsing anything, but just saying you can get lau lau close to the ship in Kahului at places like Da Kitchen and Poi By The Pound. As far as we know, every Minit Stop seems to carry Spam Musubi. There is usually a collection of food trucks at lunch time tucked back and up toward the airport on the street between Costco and The Courtyard at Marriott (look carefully), and also on Kahului Beach Road not far from the ship. These are just a few ideas. Enjoy!

Da Kitchen by the airport has a wide range of tasty local-style food & as you previously refreshed my memory it’s closed on Sunday during the POA’s first day in Maui. ;)

If they provide more details on their plans for Maui could make a few more suggestions.

Have you been to either of the Coconuts located in Kihei? We’ve been to their original location in Azeka Mauka but not the one further south which may be in the old Denny’s location. That’s not local-style food but have enjoyed several items on their seafood menu. Thought their fish tacos were great & if not too hungry two people could have one taco each...ono-licous to us. :D

Friends & Ohana have also enjoyed their seafood meals with us while visiting.

Have you been to either of the Coconuts located in Kihei? We’ve been to their original location in Azeka Mauka but not the one further south which may be in the old Denny’s location. That’s not local-style food but have enjoyed several items on their seafood menu. Thought their fish tacos were great & if not too hungry two people could have one taco each...ono-licous to us.

We have heard good things about Coconuts. We aren't really familiar with Kihei, but remember a Denny's that used to be in an upstairs location. Is that the place? We will have to try it!

We have heard good things about Coconuts. We aren't really familiar with Kihei, but remember a Denny's that used to be in an upstairs location. Is that the place? We will have to try it!

That’s the location...just south of the Rainbow Mall where Da Kitchen Express is located & north of Moose McGillycuddy’s.

http://www.coconutsfishcafe.com/about