Scooter Question

pls5286

We are looking into buying a mobility scooter due to the cruises we have booked as well as for other trips. Where do you find the gell cell batteries? It comes with a sealed acid battery.

Gel cell batteries may not be available for your specific scooter . You can do an internet search as well as contact on-line suppliers such as:

www.monsterscooterparts.com

www.batteriesplus.com

www.mkbattery.com

check on Amazon

There's lots of on-line batteries websites. Have you asked where ever you're purchasing it from if they have compatible gel cell batteries ?

I would recommend getting a scooter that is gel cell. A lot of cruise scooter users like the go go scooters by pride which is also what the rentals are on ships. You can’t fly with acid batteries either so it is better to get one with gel that you can take anywhere your future adventures take you. It is also my understanding most go go scooters break down to some extent allowing easier transportation.

I would recommend getting a scooter that is gel cell. A lot of cruise scooter users like the go go scooters by pride which is also what the rentals are on ships. You can’t fly with acid batteries either so it is better to get one with gel that you can take anywhere your future adventures take you. It is also my understanding most go go scooters break down to some extent allowing easier transportation.

Your statement that You can’t fly with acid batteries either is not 100% correct.

If the battery is a sealed non-spillable lead battery, airlines will accept it. Airlines will not accept non-sealed lead acid batteries. Mobility scooters today either contain an AGM battery, Gel battery or a lithium battery.

AGM stands for "Absorbed Glass Mat," which is a specific type of lead-acid battery and is a sealed non-spillable lead battery. Airlines accept AGM batteries. It's highly probable that the scooter the OP plans to purchase already has a AGM battery and he or she really doesn't have to purchase a gel battery only of they want too.

My scooter has acid batteries and I have taken it on the plane several times. No one has ever asked about the batteries.

Do you have check your batteries to make sure the level of acid is correct and have to add water thus classing them as a spillable lead battery ? IMO highly unlikely. therefore if you are not having to check the level and add water to your lead acid batteries periodically than they are sealed non-spillable lead batteries that are approved by the airlines. Refer back to my post #4 in this thread which states non-spillable lead batteries are approved by the airlines.

just curious.. is there a reason you are taking your own scooter and not renting one?? there are companies that rent out scooters and have them ready and waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive.. you are allowed to take the scooter off the ship when in ports.. i personally recommend SPECIAL NEEDS AT SEA .. i have rented my 350lb+ scooter from them at least 8 times.. with no regrets.. something to think about.. you can google their web address and phone

just curious.. is there a reason you are taking your own scooter and not renting one?? there are companies that rent out scooters and have them ready and waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive.. you are allowed to take the scooter off the ship when in ports.. i personally recommend SPECIAL NEEDS AT SEA .. i have rented my 350lb+ scooter from them at least 8 times.. with no regrets.. something to think about.. you can google their web address and phone

You could have purchased your own scooter for all the rentals you've made. My 300+ lb scooter was $1600. I am able to use it around town here at malls and dept.stores etc. It has been a Godsend. I ride it right to the door of a plane, use it at my hotel the day before my cruise with no problems. I also need it for pre-boarding. Everyones needs are different.

Another thought is that one could rent from a medical supply company in the embarkation town for much much less than $250 from SNAS. My friend rented one for $99. per week to take on a trip.

Hi Pls

I have just come back from a cruise leaving Hong Kong and Asian ports don't seem to have any facilities for hire of scooters, the best i could do was $900 US for 2 weeks. This I thought was ridiculous and bought myself a wheelchair, which is collapsible only weighing 26 kg. This was great except some of the older ships have quite high door sills and they were hard on the wheelchair, although it handled it ok. I have seen these scooters recently which I think are a great portable scooter. They hold up to 100 kg and are also about the same weight as my wheelchair 26 kg. If you want more info, I might be able to help. The wheelchair and the scooter use lithium batteries and this was not a problem on the plane or with Celebrity. Cheers Pinzel

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRftZ1EkgVv_FHpi6A6qeYza0bd2C7X6YR0meauJa_bNiiVbBwB

2Q==

Hi Pls

I have just come back from a cruise leaving Hong Kong and Asian ports don't seem to have any facilities for hire of scooters, the best i could do was $900 US for 2 weeks. This I thought was ridiculous and bought myself a wheelchair, which is collapsible only weighing 26 kg. This was great except some of the older ships have quite high door sills and they were hard on the wheelchair, although it handled it ok. I have seen these scooters recently which I think are a great portable scooter. They hold up to 100 kg and are also about the same weight as my wheelchair 26 kg. If you want more info, I might be able to help. The wheelchair and the scooter use lithium batteries and this was not a problem on the plane or with Celebrity. Cheers Pinzel

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRftZ1EkgVv_FHpi6A6qeYza0bd2C7X6YR0meauJa_bNiiVbBwB

2Q==

Just an FYI this particular scooter is not sold in the USA.

There are different rules when traveling acid water vs gel. If you want someone to change out the batteries for you, Google scooter repair and start making phone calls. If you can do it yourself, VERY EASY. Check manual for battery number and check out Amazon or Ebay.

With the cruises we have planned, we could buy a scooter cheaper than we could rent one each time. Having my own will also allow me and my husband to do more things local. I feel bad when he has to push me through the malls and if no electric carts are available at places like Sams and Walmart.