Authentic Luau on Oahu?

Keys2Heaven

Polynesian Cultural Center is by far the best overall experience if you have the time to do it. It is quite a drive to get there from Honolulu. Paradise Cove, which can also be long drive if traffic is bad on the freeway, is a more commercial feeling operation. Have been there several times over the years, always enjoyed it but I would grade the food a C, the show an A- or B+, the vendors a B, the other activities a B.

• 5 months later...
Unfortunately, we'll be docking in Kahului and I understand there is considerable travel time to OLL, even with perfect road conditions.

We're only in port in until 11 p.m. that night and am pretty nervous about missing the boat if something would cause an excessive delay getting back to the ship on time.

For this reason, we're thinking of either Paradise Cove or Germaine's on Oahu. I figure we can taxi/uber over to PH in the morning and take our time, then have a taxi take us the hotel (Ala Moana) where Paradise Cove picks up. They will take us back to the pier when done.

Germaine's is through Carnival.

Keys2Heaven

Which one did you end up attending...and did you like it?

Have been to both Germaine's and also to Paradise Cove (I think that's it). Preferred Germaine's so much better.

We went on a bus with the hotel in which we were staying. We got there a bit late and missed out on some of the prelimiaries (looking at beach, etc). I recall it being a rough ride. But I'm not much of a complainer and I can take a lot.

I will just say this. I enjoyed Germaine's much more than the Paradise Cove. The setting was so much more intimate than it was at the other.

I think you will enjoy it.

I am so glad to hear this. I booked it for our cruise next month. I only had two must do’s on the cruise - Pearl Harbor and a luau. The rest I am going to go with the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Does somebody have done the Drums Of The Pacific Luau at Lahaina, Maui?

We are on Eclipse cruise on Sep/Oct 2019 two options for Luau, Germaine's at Honolulu and Drums Of The Pacific at Lahaina. Which one will you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a cruise next March, 2019 and since we will be on Oahu until 11 PM and checking out both the Paradise Cove & Chief's Luau, I went with the Chief's Luau as it offered a shuttle from the cruise port and was 30 minutes closer while the Paradise Cove meant we had to get ourselves to one of the Hotels to get the bus. We will be on Lahiana for a short time so couldn't take in one there. http://www.chiefsluau.com/

Does somebody have done the Drums Of The Pacific Luau at Lahaina, Maui?

We are on Eclipse cruise on Sep/Oct 2019 two options for Luau, Germaine's at Honolulu and Drums Of The Pacific at Lahaina. Which one will you recommend?

Drums of the Pacific gets high marks. It is at the Hyatt Regency on Maui. Old Lahaina Luau gets higher marks; you might want to check it out doing it on your own vs ship excursion.

We have a cruise next March, 2019 and since we will be on Oahu until 11 PM and checking out both the Paradise Cove & Chief's Luau, I went with the Chief's Luau as it offered a shuttle from the cruise port and was 30 minutes closer while the Paradise Cove meant we had to get ourselves to one of the Hotels to get the bus. We will be on Lahiana for a short time so couldn't take in one there. http://www.chiefsluau.com/

Chief's Luau is now very close to the Paradise Cove Luau. Chief's used to be at Sea Life Park in Waimanalo, now it is at Wet 'n Wild in Kapolei, next to Ko Olina, where Paradise Cove is.

We are looking at going to the Ka-Moana Luau, my son and his wife were there last night and said the food and show was very good.

Has anyone been there?

Ka-Moana is what replaced the Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park. Chief's moved to the other side of the island to Wet 'n Wild in Kapolei. Ka-Moana is very new so I find the rave early reviews some what suspect. You get your family and friends to rave about your business when it is new, so call me skeptical.

We are looking at the Diamond Head Luau.

Gets very bad marks on many levels.

I am so glad to hear this. I booked it for our cruise next month. I only had two must do’s on the cruise - Pearl Harbor and a luau. The rest I am going to go with the flow.

Germaine's is ranked #4 of the 5 luaus in Kapolei/Ko Olina on TripAdvisor.

I would not book it over The Chief's Luau.

I checked out how far the Chief's Luau is from Port 2 and it says it is 24 miles away but it takes 1 hour and 7 minutes . It says heavy traffic. If the luau gets over at 8:30 and say we get bus loaded at 9:00, we should be back a little after 10. If there happens to be an accident or other bottleneck, we may be late for set sail at 11:00. I'm sure 10:30 will be boarding time. Scares me a little, but I really would like to go to this luau.

Has anyone taken the transportation through Chief's and how did it work for you? What time did you get back from the luau to the ship?

I checked out how far the Chief's Luau is from Port 2 and it says it is 24 miles away but it takes 1 hour and 7 minutes

If you are using Google Maps or a similar program it depends on the time of day locally when you check and which direction.

Right now to Pier 2 from Wet 'n Wild shows 31 minutes drive time, which is about what I'd expect at 9PM local time after the luau.

Thanks. Forgot about the time difference. Five hours would have put it about 4:15 in the afternoon. If my body clock stays on my time here I would be getting up at 3 in the morning. :o Hope the five days to get there gets us ready for the time change.

If you are using Google Maps or a similar program it depends on the time of day locally when you check and which direction.

Right now to Pier 2 from Wet 'n Wild shows 31 minutes drive time, which is about what I'd expect at 9PM local time after the luau.

I checked out how far the Chief's Luau is from Port 2 and it says it is 24 miles away but it takes 1 hour and 7 minutes . It says heavy traffic. If the luau gets over at 8:30 and say we get bus loaded at 9:00, we should be back a little after 10. If there happens to be an accident or other bottleneck, we may be late for set sail at 11:00. I'm sure 10:30 will be boarding time. Scares me a little, but I really would like to go to this luau.

Has anyone taken the transportation through Chief's and how did it work for you? What time did you get back from the luau to the ship?

We booked transportation as well. Our voucher says to be ready for pick-up 4:15 p.m. at the pier (be there 10 minutes before). Then, cruise ship passengers are dropped off first. I don't anticipate any issues getting back to the ship on time.