LA for the day?

We are on a Pacific coastal cruise on the Grand Princess this fall. I've searched the Board and Google and I can't seem to figure out Los Angeles. We stop there for one day.

Is the pier far from the actual city? Can we get there via taxi? I know for sure we don't want to rent a car.

I would like to do a studio tour but I think the studios are too far away (perhaps someone can confirm that, or make a suggestion?).

I would also like to do a HOHO or some other city tour, but the excursion company I've been looking at doesn't pick up at the pier. I guess that brings me back to an earlier question....is it far or difficult to get to LA from the pier so that we can pick up an excursion somewhere?

Thanks for reading my lengthy, rambling question(s).

First of all, Los Angeles is a huge rambling city, not at all compact as most. Distances between certain areas are daunting, and as some seem to think, there is no Downtown as in most metropolitan areas....

And to make matters worse, our freeway system can be overwhelming to visitors and is often crowded and terribly slow. When you are constrained by having to return to the ship on time, any delay could be disastrous.

Unless you have a specific area in mind, I would suggest you look into a guided tour, and let them worry about driving. And with a guide, you would get details on the places you are visiting.....

Enjoy your visit.....:)

Definitely. A guided tour is the way to go. But so far I can't find anything that will pick us up at the pier. And I can't seem to figure out (probably a mental block on my part) where the pier is in relation to LA and how to get to wherever a tour group would leave from (i.e. they pick up at various hotels so I'd have to figure out which one - but that might depend on how I would have to get there).

Okay, I went back to see what options I might have. Apparently there are 2,968 hotels in the LA area (okay, I may be exaggerating :p). The list is too long to post here. But we can meet a tour at one of many hotels.

What if we wanted to take a taxi to a hotel on Santa Monica or Wilshire or Century (only street names I can remember right now)? Is that possible? Would it take long? Any idea of the cost? We'd have to factor in getting ourselves back to the ship in time as well (and I imagine LA's rush hour is just as speedy as Toronto's).

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. Oh, if it ends up that we can't go see the usual tourist sights, is there anything to do around the pier?

Definitely. A guided tour is the way to go. But so far I can't find anything that will pick us up at the pier. And I can't seem to figure out (probably a mental block on my part) where the pier is in relation to LA and how to get to wherever a tour group would leave from (i.e. they pick up at various hotels so I'd have to figure out which one - but that might depend on how I would have to get there).

Google map the pier and locations like Santa Monica. Note the distance. Now think of how long it would take to drive that distance in whatever city you live in or near and then double it (except for trying to go cross town in Manhattan midweek and midday)

This is one of those situations where it makes the most sense to purchase the ship's excursions.

On your own, you will not see much

of L.A. in one day unless you pick a very specific neighborhood to explore on this visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly there are no excursions showing yet. :( I guess I will have to be patient and wait and see. My TA thinks there might not be anything offered until we are on board. I find that a bit odd, but I'm new to Princess so maybe thats SOP for them. Thanks for your help.

Oh, if it ends up that we can't go see the usual tourist sights, is there anything to do around the pier?

I assume your pier is in San Pedro? There is a fair amount to do in that area IF you are into WWII history. There is a battleship and a "victory" ship. Also a merchant marine museum. All of this is within walking distance.

Unless your ship is staying OVERNIGHT, I doubt you would have time to do much in the way of a tour or excursion away from the pier area. San Pedro is a fair distance from the more touristy areas around Los Angeles, and as others note, you probably wouldn't have time to see more than one or two very specific things.

Find out where your ship is docking first? Both cruise piers are far from LA proper, in either Long Beach or San Pedro. If in Long Beach, it is your lucky day. There is lots to do within walking distance. There is the Queen Mary to tour or a submarine. You can also walk to a red Passport bus stop. That is a free Long Beach circulator bus and you can take it to the Aquarium of the Pacific or on into Long Beach for shopping or restaurants.

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

If you're docked in San Pedro, same things to do in Long Beach, you'll just have to pay a bus fare to get there first. Oh, and you'll walk by all the stuff listed above to get to the closest bus stop in front of the maritime museum. It is almost certainly less than a mile long walk, but pleasant with lots to see along the walkway.

http://www.ladottransit.com/comexp/routes/142/142.html

Edited by dfb

I think you need to find out (1) what day of the week (for traffic reasons) and how long you will be there, and (2) what kinds of activities you want to accomplish in the time you have. There's lots of information on line about things to see and do, although I can imagine it might be overwhelming if you're unfamiliar with the area. So I think I'd also take a look at a good map (paper or online) to get an idea of where things are.

Princess docks in San Pedro, which is directly south of downtown LA. Most of what you might want to see will probably be west of downtown (Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc.) or in the Valley (most of the studios are there.)

If you want to post again with some specific ideas about places you want to see or visit, I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.

We are on a Pacific coastal cruise on the Grand Princess this fall. I've searched the Board and Google and I can't seem to figure out Los Angeles. We stop there for one day.

Is the pier far from the actual city? Can we get there via taxi? I know for sure we don't want to rent a car.

I would like to do a studio tour but I think the studios are too far away (perhaps someone can confirm that, or make a suggestion?).

I would also like to do a HOHO or some other city tour, but the excursion company I've been looking at doesn't pick up at the pier. I guess that brings me back to an earlier question....is it far or difficult to get to LA from the pier so that we can pick up an excursion somewhere?

Thanks for reading my lengthy, rambling question(s).

If you are looking for a studio tour the closest one you are going to find is the Sony Pictures Entertainment Studio Tour in Culver City, CA; which is the old MGM lot (now home to Columbia Pictures & Tristar). Culver City is a 30 - 40 minutes drive from Long Beach in free flowing traffic on the fwy.

If you are lucky to port in Long Beach then i totally agree with the previous poster and suggest the Queen Mary Tours & Museum of the Pacific. There are a ton of places to explore in Long Beach.

Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I'm happy to know that if worse comes to worst that we can at least see something near the ship. I haven't been able to figure out where the ship docks, but it looks like Princess offers guided tours at this port on their other ships, so I will assume that something will be offered at some point.

I know that LA is huge and rambling and you can't walk anywhere, but I was losing hope that I would get to see any of it. :) Now I just have to be patient.

Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I'm happy to know that if worse comes to worst that we can at least see something near the ship. I haven't been able to figure out where the ship docks, but it looks like Princess offers guided tours at this port on their other ships, so I will assume that something will be offered at some point.

I know that LA is huge and rambling and you can't walk anywhere, but I was losing hope that I would get to see any of it. :) Now I just have to be patient.

I am booked on the California Coastal roundtrip from Vancouver on Sept 22/14. While the only excursions listed so far are for Victoria (where I live!), they do say the others should be posted by the end of May or early June (fingers crossed).

However, if you go to the Princess website and search for that cruise... then click on Details... you can call up the shore excursions they will likely offer. No guarantees these will all be offered, but here is what they currently have listed for Los Angeles (docking in Long Beach - that should be listed on your itinerary from your TA):

TCL Chinese Theatre, Olvera Street & the Farmer's Market

LAX-200 | Los Angeles, California | Group Size: 50

5 hours

from $65.00

Experience Los Angeles during this half-day, guided tour via air-conditioned motorcoach. Take in landmarks such as the Disney Concert Hall, Olvera Street, and TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Grauman's Chinese Theatre). Shop and dine at the classic Farmer's Market. Marvel at the glamorous Rodeo Drive, home to over 100 world-renowned boutiques.

Scenic Drive

LAX-290 | Los Angeles, California | Group Size: 50

4 hours

from $55.00

This tour is designed for passengers who prefer to see some sights from the motorcoach with little or no walking involved. Discover Los Angeles during this guided driving tour. View Olvera Street, the birthplace of Los Angeles. Travel along Sunset Boulevard and the glamorous Rodeo Drive. See the stars' footprints at TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Grauman's) and stroll along the Walk of Fame along Hollywood Boulevard Enjoy time to shop and dine in Hollywood.

Scenic Drive (Wheelchair Confined Passengers)

LAX-291 | Los Angeles, California | Group Size: 50

4 hours

from $55.00

This tour is designed for passengers who prefer to see some sights from the motorcoach with little or no walking involved. Discover Los Angeles during this guided driving tour. View Olvera Street, the birthplace of Los Angeles. Travel along Sunset Boulevard and the glamorous Rodeo Drive. See the stars' footprints at TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Grauman's) and stroll along the Walk of Fame along Hollywood Boulevard Enjoy time to shop and dine in Hollywood.

Universal Studios On Your Own

LAX-180 | Los Angeles, California

7 hours

from $59.00

Spend a half-day exploring Universal Studios theme park on your own. Enjoy thrilling movie-themed rides and shows. Take the famous Tram Tour for a sneak peak into the inner workings of a Hollywood movie studio. Shop and dine at the adjacent Universal City Walk entertainment complex.

Long Beach On Your Own

LAX-185 | Los Angeles, California | Group Size: 50

5 hours

from $49.00

Here's your chance to experience Southern California your way - experience one of the most popular cities creating your own adventure, and memories. You will have approximately four hours for shopping, dining as well as to explore any of the cities well-known attractions.

The website also has more details on each excursion if you click that option.

Hope this helps.

Faircliff--

your cruise will be docking in San Pedro.

Amber--It looks like your cuise is also in San Pedro.

I see only two nonMexico sailings for the Grand in San Pedro. Long Beach would only be used for overflow and if there wasn't a Carnival ship in port.

Within walking distance is the USS Iowa and the Trolley into Shoreline Village.

• 3 years later...
Universal Studio? We are docking in Long Beach. Is it totally crazy to try and go up to Universal Studios for the day? Ship's itinerary says we are in Long Beach from 7am to 11pm.

I’m wondering about this too. Would love to hear from someone who has done it.